Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Kieliekrankie
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi I am very excited about our visit to Kgalagadi planned for March and April 2008. We are going with very good friends (8 people in the group). I have booked 2 nights at Kieliekrankie, and would like to know more about the layout of the camp as we have the whole camp to ourselves.
Does it have a communal kitchen area?
How far are the units from one another? (Thinking of kids walking up and down at night with all the lions lurking).
And can you park your vehicles close to the entrance of the units?
Only gas for heating? Is there a stove?
We will be spending some time in KTC as well - heres the plan for a whole 14 days in the 'vlaktes'!!! (CANNOT WAIT) :
26-27 March Twee Rivieren
28 -30 March KTC
31 March - 1 April Nossob
2 - 3 April Kieliekrankie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:25 pm 

Muldooy,

Each unit has it own kitchen (with a stunning view!) and braai area on a little stoep. No ovens but two gas plates to cook or biol water on and a gas fridge.

Vehicles are park close by (10-15m) from the unit. However no walking around between units after sunset. The units are quite close to each other and you can see the people next to you when on your stoep but Kieliekrankie is more designed for seperate guests and not really for groups.

High on a dune with a stunning view, sunsets amazing... yeah one of my faviourite camps!

Post subject: KielieKrankie - What were they thinking?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:17 am 

We have just returned from a great trip to the Kgalagadi.

One of the the highlights was a stay at KielieKrankie. The views are astounding! Willem, the resident guide, is a real asset to SANParks.

Unfortunately we had unit number 3 so we had the noise of the pump going frequently. There is also a major gas leak in the kitchen which Willem has repeatedly tried to get the technical people to fix. As long as you keep the door between the kitchen and the sleeping area closed, the smell is bearable. Good thing we do not smoke ;-).

There is a major design problem with all the units. In their wisdom, the designers put a large (at least 2 x 1 metres) sunroof above the beds! I suppose the idea was to provide natural light, but the effect is that the sun shines directly into the unit from about 10h00-15h00 eliminating all shade. I have a new microwave oven at home which uses SolarDome light technology to grill food. The sunroof has the same effect.

So, after you come back from your early morning drive and need to find a shady spot to relax before going out later in the afternoon again, you are confined to either the bathroom or the kitchen as the bedroom is as hot as an oven and the stoep is still in the sun. What were they thinking???

SANParks, please, please, please cover the sunroof. It serves no beneficial purpose.

I would love to stay longer in KielieKrankie, but unless something is done about the sunroof, it remains best for overnight stops only.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
Hi jaykay!

Sorry to hear about your stay at KK! KK is one of our favourite places in KTP! We have stayed there in March/April, June and end of September and we found the 'sun roof' a wonderful feature. When we stayed , it was the 'cooler' months, and in June (the middle of winter),it was the warmest of the wilderness camps.

I think you were unlucky in that you went in the hottest part of the year and because of this, you also needed to stay in the unit for the longest time in the year!

Hope you return to KTP and KK and maybe try the cooler months instead if staying at KK!

F2/2014

Post subject: A simple fix
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:19 am 

Why not just have a removable panel or adjustable louvres to cover the sunroof so that KK can be enjoyed all year around?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
Removable panel is an option, but I think adjustable louvres would not last long, given the strong winds and sandstorms KK experiences. We must also take into account that any solution must be minimal maintenance, as KTP has cost and staffing factors to consider! Best to ask Sanparks about this!

F2/2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

AFAIK the so called sunroof is intended that you see the stars at night at KielieKrankie.

We stayed at Kieliekrankie two times in february and we liked the "sunroof" very much at night.

I would not like the windows removed from Kiliekrankie.

But jaykay made a point. Both rangers i met at Kiliekrankie are a real asset to Sanparks. Isn't Willem the ranger at Bitterpan?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:24 pm 

I thought the problem with the pump was solved and they had been removed to another area

We stayed in 3 last winter and did not hear anything else, except for the wind and the two additional children in one unit of our neighbours admiring the stars

Post subject: Seeing the stars at night
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:54 pm 

The problem is that the 'star roof' faces the wrong for viewing stars at night. It should be on the Western side of the roof pitch, not the Eastern side if you wanted to see the starts from your bed.

The other problem is that the perspex is so dirty that you cannot actually see anything through it!

Why not fit some sort of a removable cover so that every one's needs are met?

For those who like the window to the sky, where did you sit for lunch at midday in Dec-Feb?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

While I can see that the bedroom roofwindow may be quite a problem in midsummer, my experience in September, when it was quite chilly, was the opposite, as at that time of year the sun never reaches the deck (at least of #4), so I was very glad of the sun being able to warm the bedroom. I would have been glad of having a bit more "solar warming" for my unit!

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:01 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I must agree with you jaykay, I tried really hard to see something through that sunroof but nothing it did not seem like ‘see through’ sunroof? Is it really? If that is the case then ours was far too dirty for that… just looked like white perspex
Another problem at KK and this might be due to these sunroofs, we had a big thunderstorm 1 night and it rained throughout the night… the roof leaked like crazy and we had to move our beds 4 – 5 times to prevent us from getting soaking wet
Something SANParks will have to take a serious look at.

*EDIT*: I must just add that despite this and other minor problems i absolutely love Kieliekrankie!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:29 pm 
Jonkers wrote:
I thought the problem with the pump was solved and they had been removed to another area

Nope, it is still there…the relocation is apparently still in “planning”

On another subject: The tourist assistant told us that the tent flaps are going to be replaced by glass sliding doors….that will be awesome…. I however just hope that they will also add a netted door so that you can open the glass in the summer to get a cool breeze without all the insects joining you.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:45 pm 

I call this a active nite

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:00 am 

Well 1 positive thing was the it rained us out of bed, so we went out very early in the rain (at first seeing nothing) and then it stopped and we were lucky to be at Kij Kij early and see 11 lions up close and personal and the females and older cubs drinking water very close to us

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I believe KK will be a wonderful experience if the weather plays along. We experienced exactly the opposite of what Jaykay encountered in summer. We were in KK for 2 nights in May. After experiencing the most wonderful weather at Grootkolk and KTC, we had horrible weather during our stay at KK.

A freezingly cold wind tortured us for nearly 48 hours. We could not enjoy the view to the front as it was exactly the direction from which the cold wind came from. The velcro on the flaps were worked out, and we could not close the front of the sleeping area as well as the kitchen properly.

To summarize: we had a dreadful experience at KK. But I believe it was the luck of the draw. Next time will be great!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next