Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: First time KTP
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:14 pm 

Hi, we have booked our first visit to KTP in September. Didn't have much choice for accommodation so have booked...Nossob, TR, Kalahari tent camp, Mata Mata and Bitterpan 11 nights total, still have to find somewhere for 22nd Sept as n/a at the moment. We are driving from Johannesburg so have also booked 2 nights in Marakele, 3 nights in Mokala and 3 nights in Augrabies before hand. We have been to krugar before and it was amazing.
Anyway as I said first time to KTP so need some advice, any info will be much appreciated. I am not sure what kind of car to hire, as we are going to Bitterpan do we need a 4x4, haven't driven one before!
We are staying in a family cottage in TR and I am a bit concerned as I have read there is a bat problem in TR. Ok...I know you will probably think I should just deal with this but I really don't like flying things around my head :-( Are they a big problem in the family cottages?
What time do you have to be in your camp and what is the earliest you can leave to drive in the park in the morning?
I am sure I will be back with lots of questions so I apologise in advance
Thanks

Post subject: Re: First time KTP
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:44 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

MiaMouse wrote:
What time do you have to be in your camp and what is the earliest you can leave to drive in the park in the morning?
I am sure I will be back with lots of questions so I apologise in advance
Thanks

No reason to apologize. :)

I don't know about the bats, so can't help with that.
In September you can leave the camp at 6:30 in the morning, and you have to be back at 18:30 in the evening. The gate hours are on this webpage: How to get there.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

MiaMouse wrote:
We are staying in a family cottage in TR and I am a bit concerned as I have read there is a bat problem in TR. Ok...I know you will probably think I should just deal with this but I really don't like flying things around my head :-( Are they a big problem in the family cottages?

Hi MiaMouse!

We stayed in a family cottage in 2012. It did smell of bats, I have to admit, but there were none inside. Just keep the doors and windows throroughly closed at ALL times.

The rest I can't help you with since I'm a newbie to KTP and 4x4 driving myself. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:48 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
MiaMouse wrote:
Anyway as I said first time to KTP so need some advice, any info will be much appreciated. I am not sure what kind of car to hire, as we are going to Bitterpan do we need a 4x4, haven't driven one before!

You will definitely need a 4X4. As it's very sandy and not rocky I'm sure you'll be okay as long as you deflate your tyres enough, stay on the 2 spoor track and not stop on the dunes. Don't race up the dunes as the other side might be steep and then you'll have to much speed.

The rest of your questions have been answered, but if there is anything else please ask. Lots of mites that will be more than willing to answer your questions. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:53 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Morning MiaMouse,

Welcome to the forums :thumbs_up: .

I want to suggest that you read Kesheshe's trip report Exporing KTP In October from page 2 to page 4.

I think you will find all you need to know about KTP and what to take with :thumbs_up: .

Post subject: Itinery advice please :-)
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:26 am 

Hi, we are making our first trip to KTP in September. Just decided to go and booked flights without checking accommodation :-( Anyway this is what I have, whilst I appreciate it is maybe not the best or preferred order it was all I could get other than more nights at TR, you will see we have a few nights double booked so have options and I will keep looking!

20/09 Nossob 1 night

21/09 Mata Mata 1 night

22/09 ?? 1 night

23, 24/09 TR 2 nights

25, 26/09 Kalahari tents 2 nights

27, 28/09 Mata Mata or TR 2 nights

29/09 TR 1 night

30/09..Kalahari tent or Bitterpan 1 night

I still have the night of the 22nd to fill but thought we could always leave the park. After my other posting I think we will cancel Bitterpan so we won't need to hire a 4x4.
Please let me know your thoughts and any tips/advice will be much appreciated
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Itinery advice please :-)
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi MiaMouse and Welcome!

A couple of questions: First, where will you be coming from. You mention booking flights, which might mean that you are flying into Upington? Or elsewhere and then driving to Upington? If you are coming from overseas, you need to allow time to 'recover' from the jet lag.

In any case, with a first night booked at Nossob, you have to plan enough time to get to the park, book in, and then drive on to Nossob -- and be warned that the driving times listed are misleading.

I think that you asked elsewhere about whether you need a 4x4. If you plan to stay at Bitterpan, yes you do, but if that's not definite ... Only the roads for Bitterpan and Ghargab require a 4x4, the rest of the park is accessible with a 2x4, even a sedan (I have always visited driving a sedan because as a solo traveller, I find the cost for renting anything else excessive).

Remember that once you arrive in Upington, you have to plan time for shopping as supplies within the park are limited and expensive. Best to buy everything that you will need in Upington.

If you keep on checking availability closely, I'm sure that you will be able to smooth out your itinerary as better choices become available. I'd try for more consecutive nights in each camp as packing and unpacking takes time better spent enjoying the park.

Good luck and have a great trip!

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:59 am 

Thanks for the reply arcs. We are flying to Johannesburg from the UK so thankfully jet lag isn't an issue, also we are spending 2 nights in Marakele, 3 nights in Mokala and 3 nights in Augrabies beforehand...we were going to go to Kruger but have been before so thought we would do something different. We are planning on having all our dry food, water etc before we arrive in Upington so would just be buying any fresh stuff. Roughly how long do you think the drive would be from entering the park to Nossob?
We have dicided to cancel Bitterpan so we will not need a 4x4, we will probably go for a SUV so will save some money :-)
I will keep checking availability as more consecitive nights would be better but there really isn't much choice at the minute so had to make the best of it...we will just have to be organised and have car packed in the evening so we can get on the road early :-)

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
If you leave Augrabies as the gates open you can easily get as far as Nossop but must just keep moving .. Maybe try to get the first night changed to TR then youwont be so rushed .. keep your eye on availability as many folk dont pay their final deposit ( from about two months before ) or change their minds .. so you should in the end get what you want
Safe travels

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:37 am 

Yes see if you can change the first night into 2R or KK. That way it will be a relaxing drive from Augrabies into KTP. The second night is MM so you are already on the good side.
We did Nossob Augrabies a couple of times and although there is plenty of time we felt like racing because we could not stop and enjoy the sightings along the way.
You will never know if for the first 2 nights KK might pop up in availability
Just check and check a couple of times a day
Make that phone call and change
011 6788870 is a direct line so you are not hanging in the queue
Good luck!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum MiaMouse.

1. Keep trying. Something WILL come up for 22nd.
2. Try to get at least 2 consecutive nights at each camp. In the past I have booked whatever I could get my hands on and as nights become available I have 'grabbed' them and got pretty much what I wanted.
3. Bats in 2R. They are not really a problem in themselves. They are tiny and scared of you. It is what they leave behind that is not great. If you DO have bats in your chalets, open the windows just before dusk. That is when they are active, and then close them when it atarts to get dark.
4. Having been to Kruger you will find Kgalagadi a bit more 'wild', with unattended picnic spots. It is a desert park so your visibility is much better than Kruger. I am sure you will love it!

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:50 am 

Thanks for the replies...I will keep on checking, I have only done the online booking, should I try phoning?
We could always go into the park a day earlier, there are chalets at Mata Mata on the 19th but according to the park map that would only save an hour but as I have never been before it is hard for me to judge...so any thoughts? Augrabies to Mata Mata or Nossob?? I really don't want to cancel Nossob as that was the only date there was just now.
I know it is going to be sooo different to Kruger and I can't wait :D My only slight concern is I do like my home comforts and this will be very different from any holiday I have ever had...when we were in Krugar we only stayed in the park a few nights but travelled in every day, we had a house outside the park overlooking crocodile river, our intention was to go into the park every second day or so for 3 weeks and spend the other days chilling by our pool and animal spotting from our deck but as we found out Kruger is addictive and we were in EVERY day!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:39 am 

I often call if I want to change, because my bookings made the max months before can not be done through online system.
I explain that I want to change my 2R for KK and up till now the person from reservations takes KK first and then releases 2R in the system again.
On line I'm afraid I will make a mess of the existing bookings and my nightmare comes through ending up with nothing.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:48 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Enjoy your home comforts before & after your trip. :whistle:

The chalets are very nice, but cellphone reception disappears as you move from 2R.

An extra night beforehand at MM is a good idea.

There are swimming pools in MM, 2R, Nossob & Tented camp.

The weather could be hot, but it could cool down at night.

If you can suffer without your ironing board and tumble drier, you will have your next trip booked before you get home. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm 

Jonkers, I am finding the online booking a little too easy which means I have double booked and paid in full quite a few nights...think I better get it sorted before the credit card bill comes in :hmz:

Bush Baptist...you have got me sooo wrong, I don't care about the ironing board and tumble dryer, I'm worried about cooking and no dishwasher :redface:

I have added the 19th on now for Mata Mata so we will be able to have an easier drive to Nossob on the 20th, just need to cancel one night in Augrabie!