Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kgalagadi in Nov-Dec
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:03 pm 

Hi, i getting closer to depart date to KTP, i just would like to ear from somebody who has been there in the hot season few tips.
I was thinking of course drive from one camp to another one early in the morning, apart when i drive from Gharagab to Bitter pan ,collecting key at Nossob ,the second part it will be in the heat of the day.....
I do not have air con, in the car, or i have, but i will not use it cause is old 4x4 and is not working so well...
Then i am always thinking about when i use to live in Sudan with 50 degree in summer: But i was 25 years youger......
Korshinab :x :D

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi in Nov-Dec
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:31 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Korshinab,

We try and do a morning drive to return to camp at the very latest by 11h30 and then do an afternoon drive from 15h30 till gate closing.

Take a nice cool shower in camp and wet a towel till damp put that on your bed and we take afternoon naps on those damp towels. It is very nice.

Then we buy grapes in town before we leave for the park and freeze these and keep them for the whole trip in the freezer. Natures own ice lollies!!! they defrost very quick and you can eat the defrosted if you want, but I put them in zip lock backs and take out a handful in the heat and eat them as lollies.

When driving we take a washcloth (yes I know very old fashioned!!!) with, that I wet and wipe my face and neck while driving. The wind blowing in through the window is turned into a nice aircon feeling!!!

You'll survive I'm very sure, just try and stay out of the sun during midday!!!

Enjoy your trip, many great sightings!!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:13 pm 

Make sure you drink more than enough water during your midday trip.Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

korshinab,

Are you going this year? We will be there for the first 2 weeks in Dec.

My packing list includes tiny fans and water spray bottles, plenty of water and cooldrink mix to make ice lollies. To cool down I will swimming late morning were possible, but not over midday. Otherwise a shower works well.

Remember to pack enough sunblock and light clothing.

Our driving tactics are the same as lion queen, but normally return before 11 am and going out at 5:30. In the afternoon we will return after 7 pm.

We will also visit Gharagab and have no definite plans as I have not stayed there before. Thought of having breakfast at camp and leave at 8 - 9 pm, returning around 5 pm, sleeping in the shade at Lijersdraai and Unions End.

If you lucky you may experience a few thunderstorms resulting in rather pleasant weather below 35 deg C along the river. The dune area can be very hot and best avoided from 10 am - 5 pm.

Also pack something warm in case of rain, when night temperature can be chilly, but not freezing.

For the dune drive you need to check for seeds and grass building up underneath the chassis. I will rather take the risk to check than being stranded in any case without a car if it burns out. You can use a seed net, but that will not prevent build-up below the car from the "middelmannetjie" (centre line between the two spoors on a jeep track).

I've done the routes in summer and had no issues, but also heard of people that were left stranded after the vehicle burned out, so its just to play safe. Maybe early summer the grass is not that long and it will not be a great concern.

Enjoy your trip and maybe we will meet in KTP. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:09 pm 

Just got back from KTP last night and a fantastic 10 days.

I would not worry about the drive from Gharagab to Bitterpan. We did this in one day no sweat. Left Ghargab at about 8.00am and were in abitterpan by 2.00pm. You don't pick up keys in Nossob. You simply check in at Nossob and the ranger will open tHe gates for you for the Bitterpan 4X4 trail. It was a pretty easy drive there. The drive out from Bitterpan to Mata Mata was quite tough. In fact the folks that left the day after we did were told to go via Moravet as a couple of the dunes were really tough on the cars.

Keep cool following advice from others. Freeze bottles of water and keep drinking it. The temperature at Gharagab hit 42 degrees.

Make sure your sand driving skills are up to scratch as the real challenge is when leaving Ghargab and Bitterpan but not going into either of the camps.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:30 am 

Thanks everybody, actually i was checking the booking where i am going and right now is all full every day_that's mean cars are going up to gharagab and down again,to bitterpan too...so if i am in the sh.t,someone will pass by....? Hopefully not. Thanks for the tips of checking often under the chassis (should i by small fire exting.?) or a still broom to wipe it out? I have petrol car......?
I will be 30-1 dic Nossob 2-3 ghar. 4 dic Bitter P. 5 dic .KTC 6 dic Kieliekrankie. 1 week total
I know is not much , but next time i ll make at list 10-12 days.
I have an old Daihatsu 4x4 ,so if you see me are welcome to stop and say I.
We are 2 ,my son (21) and i .
I will by grapes 100% very good tips,and yes drive before 11 am and late afternoon, i am sure i will meet nice people,new friends, where we book and have braai together around the fire.
i will stop 2 days before enter the Park at Kalahari Trails with Prof. Anne Rasa, sound very intresting woman and has i like tracking i can walk in her place and do it a bit.
And i just both a trap camera that i really wanted to use it........
Korshinab

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:37 am 

ps my driving skills in sand are new so i will train myself at K. trails before .....then we are in the hand of God....

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

korshinab,

we will enter the park on the same day as you, but late afternoon only. If you get stuck at Gharagab we will be there on 9 Dec :pray: (only joking) :lol: :lol:

We will at Nossob on 4 Dec and may see you before you head to Bitterpan. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:44 pm 

Sure, next time ill book for longer time; i was stupid not to book 2 nights everywhere,but only in Nossob and Gharagab, anyway that's how things goes the first time....i hope to get stuck,so i can stay longer... :evil: :dance: :dance: no i joke...by the way i was reading that people had bad experience with noisy group and kids and bla bla: i am going there to listen the bush and not people talking and drinking....i lll take Doom with me... :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:57 am 

So i have to take cash in the Park,is that correct?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:09 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Yes, only TR has Credit card facilities and a mini ATM.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:15 am 

Sorry for the triple mess,i try to cancel it but nothing, a question if am going to KK from the north ,at the end of my week around the park where am I suppose to Check in for that? At the TR 7 days before?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:20 am 

I was reading now that ATM at TR is out of order. can i pay park fee with Visa?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:29 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
When you book in at the beginning of your trip at TR all wilderness camps admin is done, so you only arrive at the wilderness camp and hand in your permit. The previous camp that you stayed in would have indicated on the permit that you are on your way to Kieliekrankie.

Yes, sorry the ATM is at this moment out of order as they are busy revamping the shop.

Yes, you can pay the conservation fees at reception with your credit card.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:32 am 

korshinab wrote:
Sorry for the triple mess,i try to cancel it but nothing,

Sorted, and no problem :D

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb