Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for the optimal Kgalagadi itinerary
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:58 am 

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice on our upcoming 8 night trip to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park at the end of May 2014 as part of our 3,5 week trip to Namibia. We only recently decided to go to Namibia and the Kgalagadi was really high on our wishlist so we wanted it to be part of our itinerary. To my surprise I could still book some nice accomodation in different parts of the park. This is the booking I have right now:

3 Nights Kalahari Tented Camp
2 Nights Twee Rivieren Camping
2 Nights Nossob Camping
1 Night Urikaruus Wilderness Camp

So as I said, I am already really satisfied that I could get these bookings but I'm sure there is still room for improvement... :D

I am reading a lot on this and other forums and it seems that Nossob is really popular as it is called big cat country. I could extend my stay here to three nights (there is still a chalet available) but than I have to skip a night at KTC or 2R. So the big question is, in which camp should I skip a night, KTC or 2R?

In KTC you can only go 1 direction on game drives, so 3 nights maybe is a bit to much? But 2R is said to be very busy so maybe 1 night is enough? Of course I would like another night at Urikaruus but that is not available at the moment unfortunately.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice!

Michel

Post subject: Re: Looking for the optimal Kgalagadi itinerary
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi MR1980!

I think you can definitely take one night less at KTC and one more at Nossob - but you can probably also leave it as is. We've only been to KTP once (will be going a second time later this year), so I'm not the expert opinion. What I can tell you from our previous visit though, is that we saw all our cats on the Auob side, and none on the Nossob side. It is as always - right time right place. And the right place can be anywhere in KTP! Your itinerary sound great in any case - even if you move one or two days around! Hope you have a great time! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:20 pm 

MR1980 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice on our upcoming 8 night trip to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park at the end of May 2014 as part of our 3,5 week trip to Namibia. We only recently decided to go to Namibia and the Kgalagadi was really high on our wishlist so we wanted it to be part of our itinerary. To my surprise I could still book some nice accomodation in different parts of the park. This is the booking I have right now:

3 Nights Kalahari Tented Camp
2 Nights Twee Rivieren Camping
2 Nights Nossob Camping
1 Night Urikaruus Wilderness Camp

So as I said, I am already really satisfied that I could get these bookings but I'm sure there is still room for improvement... :D

I am reading a lot on this and other forums and it seems that Nossob is really popular as it is called big cat country. I could extend my stay here to three nights (there is still a chalet available) but than I have to skip a night at KTC or 2R. So the big question is, in which camp should I skip a night, KTC or 2R?

In KTC you can only go 1 direction on game drives, so 3 nights maybe is a bit to much? But 2R is said to be very busy so maybe 1 night is enough? Of course I would like another night at Urikaruus but that is not available at the moment unfortunately.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice!

Michel

Michel many compliments for the itinerary, you are going to visit the most beautiful place in the world.
Please let me suggest you to book one night in Kieliekrankie.
Anyway you'll be very satisfy with or without Kieliekrankie.
Bye, Luca/Italy.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:32 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi MR1980,

I would take of one night at KTC and put in an extra night at Nossob, then you can do the northern drives from there with more ease!

Enjoy the planning, it's a great park!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:39 am 

@Bushbuddies Thanks for your reply! I think I will definitely add another night to Nossob, this would mean that I have to take a night of KTC or 2R. Do you or other people think Twee Rivieren is worth it to stay for 2 nights? A lot of people only stay there for 1 night because they say it is very busy because it is the entrance to the park... But it also has some really good waterholes nearby or is this not the case?

@Luca Thanks for your kind words. We are indeed very happy coming to KTP next year! Unfortunately Kieliekrankie doesn't have any availability during the period we stay in the park but maybe this will change in the following months... :)

@lion queen Thank you very much. 3 Nights at Nossob it will be than! Now I only need to figure out which night to skip, at KTC or 2R...?? Any suggestions?

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:16 am 

MR1980,

As has been said earlier, it is all about timing.

I have just got back from KTP and spent time at 2R Mata Mata and Nossob.

We saw 2 big Lions walking down the valley at Samevloeing on our first ride out from 2R when we arrived, and coming down from Nossob we saw a Cheetah kill by three young Cheetahs 13km from the camp at 2R on the Nossob River. Also saw Lion at Kameelsleep.

Did not see any cats near Mata Mata, but on previous visits there have been plenty and saw cats every day. Saw African Wild Cat and Leopard further down the Aoub River though on the road up and down.

At Nossob we saw Lions lying in the road near Kwang, and there was another sighting but not by us of a lion family at Cubitjie Quap. Also saw Cheetah at the Nossob waterhole.

I am also in the park the end of May next year and spending 2 days in the Mata Mata and 1 at KTC, and 4 in 2R but could only get one camping day at Nossob as it was so booked up.

If you are lucky with timing you will see everything you want to and by May it will start getting colder and there is more likelihood of seeing more of the nocturnal animals as well.

Hope you have a great trip.

G

KTP: 19-26 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:35 pm 

@DefenderDGI Thanks for the advice, I know luck plays a big role in sightings but I also think you can help luck a little bit by optomizing the circumstances... :D If you have the time you could check the Sanparks website every day DefenderGDI and maybe you can add more nights to Nossob? Availability still changes a lot so maybe you will be Lucky?

With the bookings I have now I already have a balanced mix of camps I think and about equal nights in the Aoub and Nossob riverbeds but I think I will add the extra night to Nossob and stay 1 night less at KTC.

Thanks everyone!

Michel