View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: KTP via Van Zyls Rus
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Tobieo

Thanks for the details!

I would just like to know what sort of vehicle you drive (can pm me if you would rather not say openly) - but only like bakkie/soft SUV... Then, what is the GVM of your packed vehicle and the tyre pressure you found the best on this road?

What speed did you find you could average?

Did you stop in VZR for breakfast? (if so, and the place was good, please pm me a recommendation?)

In terms of actual stopping time, how long were the Kuruman-VZR roadworks each (maximum expected)?

What route did you take to Kuruman that had all the roadworks? Would like to avoid that if I can...

Thanks for the info. Hope to see some pics from the trip posted soon :big_eyes:

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi MxM, I hope I have all the answers. :D

I drive a bakkie and lowered tyre pressure to 10% lower than normal tar for dirt road and to 1.5 bar in park. I could average 80 to 90kph on dirt road (coming back, going there had lots of time and averaged lower speed) I travelled on N14 from Pretoria and road was in excellent condition. Delareyville to Vryburg and then to Kuruman had some stop and goes. Total delay probably 30 min in total.

I stopped for breakfast in Vryburg going there at well know food chain but normally pack padkos and stop at nice (and safe) spot on the way.

March 2015 KTP

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Tobieo

Thanks for all the detail, sure my medium SUV will be able to handle it (have normal tyres at least). Also not sure I will race through, am planning on stopping for landscape work as I go, have a thing for windmills. Good to know though how quickly I can go, gives a nice indication of the road condition.

I may now (if I can get it approved) take a leave a week ealier to relax and get in the mood sooner. This will also mean that I need to stress about making Kuruman, but may even reach VZR, or maybe Hotazel. If anyone had a nice place to stay over here, please pm me.

Also, if there is a nice breakfast stop in VZR that someone can recommend, please pm me.

Have a :dance: day

John

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:46 pm 

Hi everyone. What time does it approximately take from Kuruman to KTP?
cheers

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Has anyone used this road lately ?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:25 pm 

I spent the evening of 17 May at Vanzylsrus Hotel and then drove to Askham. Upon returning on 22 May the road grader was actually working on the road from west to east. That region had between 16mm and 35mm of rain on the evening of 19 May. So in my opinion the road was actually in a pretty good condition. I always deflate the tires to around 1.5/1.7 bar (depending on load) for that stretch. It remains one of my favourite routes.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree, bossie. We love the road and always stay at the hotel. One year the road wasn't great, so we just went slower. Two years ago there was a great improvement and signs that they were working on it. I think they do grade quite regularly and it is just bad luck if you hit it when it is due for grading. We have a 4x4 bakkie - I wouldn't like to try the road (or most dirt roads) in a normal sedan car.

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:39 pm 

Hi, we did the trip from Johannesburg via van Zylsrus in May 2014 stopping over at the van Zylsrus hotel which we can heartily recommed it is an oasis. The road wasnt bad but we did have a Prado 4x4. The section of tar from Hotazel was not good with potholes but easily managable. The gravel section from van zyls rus did have rough patches but not a problem. Wouldnt like to do it in a sedan. Just take it easy. Do stop over in Askham (just off the road) for capuchinos and fresh cream scones-yes I am serious the best in the northern Cape.
Denis
ps if you have a puncture and have to change the tyre do check that the wheelnuts have been tightened. We had a repair and Nossob and the wheel came off near Unions end as the nuts were not tightend and had rattled loose. But thats another story I posted on the forums"when the wheels come off in the wilderness-a KYP experience"