SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Car Choice for Kgalagadi
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi all

My friend and I are excitedly making plans for a month-long stay in KTP in a few years time. Unfortunately, we're on something of a budget, so we'll be camping in the three main camps. We're going to rent a car in Upington and drive up the next morning. I was wondering how many roads we will be able to drive safely in a 2X4 (a Hyundai Atos)? I've heard stories of corrugation etc and I wouldn't like a hefty insurance excess on the car!

One more question, if I may. We're needing to buy a coolbox and a fair amount of food in Upington. Can anyone recommend a decent place to do this?

Many thanks for any help - I'm sure these are the first questions of many I'm going to have to ask!

Post subject: Re: Car Choice for Kgalagadi
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:46 am 

Welcome to the Forum!

Although a 4x4 is not required for the roads between the 3 main camps in KNP, a vehicle with a high ground clearance is recommended, mainly due to the high road sides to gain a better viewing. Something like a SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle) is normally recommended.

As for stocking up supplies, Upington has a PicknPay that will have most of the stuff you will require, including bottled water which is recommended in view of the water in KNP not recommended for drinking. You can also contact them beforehand to place your order to ensure it is ready for pickup when you arrive in Upington. Visit their website: http://www.picknpay.co.za from where you can also do online shopping or search for the items required.

Enjoy your visit to KNP - it is indeed a magic place!

Blackie.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As Blackie says, a large 4x4 vehicle is not essential for visiting the 3 main camps in KTP. However, many part of the roads have very high banks and your visibility beyond the sides of the roads will be much improved if you have a higher vehicle. Also, remember you will be packing water, food (and probably charcoal and wood) in addition to your clothes and you will need space for all that.

We travel in a 4x4 bakkie (pick-up) and, because we have the space, we fill it inside and on top with all our clobber (just for 2 of us). We also appreciate the height for game-viewing and I think it probably copes better with the corrugations than a small car would.

Maybe chat to the car hire people and see what they say - I'm sure you won't be the first person taking one of their vehicles to KTP.

You will have a wonderful trip, whatever vehicle you decide on.

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Blackie and Hippotragus for your advice!

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:34 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Tom124 wrote:
Hi all

My friend and I are excitedly making plans for a month-long stay in KTP in a few years time. Unfortunately, we're on something of a budget, so we'll be camping in the three main camps.

Hi Tom,

Just remember there are no communal freezers available, so you'll either have to buy a lot of ice every day to keep your stuff cold or you should maybe rather look at renting a fridge/freezer for your stay. A month can be long.

As you are only in the planning stages, which time of the year were you thinking of???

And do remember that only TR has 24 hours electricity. You might need a converter to charge your camera batteries etc during the day in the vehicle.

Please ask if there is any thing else.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi LQ

Thanks for the tips. We were thinking of an August/September time stay, having spent the previous month in KNP. We'll definitely look at a converter. You're right, renting a fridge/freezer does seem more sensible - I'll start looking into it.

Thanks again