Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: When you telephone from UK
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:18 pm 

Hi am a bit confused, I thought you had to call sanparks main number to make all bookings 0027124289111 but have been reading here that maybe that is not the best way to get what I want?

From a previous forum post re booking for Kgalagadi
Even if you are not a ZA resident, the procedure would be simple.
Phone 021 552 0008 and speak to Trudie or any one that answers and make your booking. Simple as that.

I am booking Kgalagadi and Kruger for September 2014 on 1 October, telephoning from Uk. Is it better to phone 'Trudi' as I need to make sure I get the camps in Kgalagadi I want so will be up at the crack of dawn.

Would appreciate clarification on this. also can anyone tell me if , when I ring at 7.30am SA time, am I likely to be kept on hold for ages? do sanparks have lots of operators answering on those busy days? do agents get a special number to 'jump the queue"?

Want to get myself prepared so it all works out well. thanks Pen

Post subject: Re: When you telephone from UK
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:37 pm 

Hi Pen

I suggest you call the main office, or one of the satellite offices, like the one in Pretoria or Johannesburg.

Main office:- Central Reservations (Pretoria): +27 (0)12 428 9111

It will be "+2712 .... " for you, not "00" as a dialling code, but check this as I do not call from overseas.

I have never heard of Trudie ...

From what I have read over the years, expect to wait about max of 20mins on the line on 1 Oct before your call being taken. Have alternative options available, but do not despair if you do not get your dream camps, often bookings change as people change their minds, cant make trips and you could find you will get you ideal camps during the course of the year leading up to your trip.

I do think SANParks have a lot of operators to deal with the calls coming through. Many years ago I was amazed at how many calls are actually logged and how many bookings are made on the 1st of the month.

SANParks has assured us no one 'jumps' the queue.

Satillite offices

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:47 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Or you could email them. :thumbs_up:

Some people email a day or two before the 1st and it seems to work fine.

I didn't think that Sept was over busy in KTP, we stayed there 2 years ago, and had no problems with our bookings.

Whatever you decide, hope you come right, and have a wonderful trip!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:59 pm 

You need to dial 0027 and then drop the first 0. I always call Johannesburg. 0027116788870.
If you look on line at what is available that is what you will get when you phone. Often you will not get exactly what you want first time. I then make a booking and then keep on changing it when what I want becomes available

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The number given by klotzof is the office which is near to me and I make my bookings through them. I can confirm they are a friendly, helpful bunch and I'm sure they would do their best to help you. Also being a smaller office there is probably a better chance of getting through to someone more quickly than at the main Sanparks reservations number.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:12 pm 

Thanks all for such a great response, on a Sunday as well!

I will try making a 'test' call next week to the numbers given to make sure I can get through. Will book what we can and fill in with Nossob in the hope we can get the wilderness camps during the next 11 months. We are desperate to get into those wilderness camps, especially Urikaruus and the LST2U tents in Lower Sabi in Kruger.
:big_eyes: Pen

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:45 pm 

hi

we phone on the first of the month when we want to book KTP, have had no problems so far, apart from the helpful staff trying to understand my Essex tones.
have a couple of alternative camps ready just in case you don't get the ones you want, while your on the phone its easy to adapt, with the help of the staff, if you have alternatives at hand

have a great trip
Russ

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:11 pm 

Thanks Russ, I made a test call today and got put on hold! Will have to be patient on the 1st. I have the same problem will they be able to understand my attempt at Kgalagadi or Urikaruus? Will report back next week. Pen

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:22 pm 

chirinda wrote:
The number given by klotzof is the office which is near to me and I make my bookings through them. I can confirm they are a friendly, helpful bunch and I'm sure they would do their best to help you. Also being a smaller office there is probably a better chance of getting through to someone more quickly than at the main Sanparks reservations number.

Hi chirinda where is this office? do they have the same 'real time' system as the main SanParks number? Do you think I would be better trying this number next week? thanks Pen

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:14 pm 

penolva wrote:
Hi am a bit confused, I thought you had to call sanparks main number to make all bookings 0027124289111 but have been reading here that maybe that is not the best way to get what I want?

From a previous forum post re booking for Kgalagadi
Even if you are not a ZA resident, the procedure would be simple.
Phone 021 552 0008 and speak to Trudie or any one that answers and make your booking. Simple as that.

I am booking Kgalagadi and Kruger for September 2014 on 1 October, telephoning from Uk. Is it better to phone 'Trudi' as I need to make sure I get the camps in Kgalagadi I want so will be up at the crack of dawn.

Would appreciate clarification on this. also can anyone tell me if , when I ring at 7.30am SA time, am I likely to be kept on hold for ages? do sanparks have lots of operators answering on those busy days? do agents get a special number to 'jump the queue"?

Want to get myself prepared so it all works out well. thanks Pen

Hi Penolva, did you book accomodations in the parks?
Sorry but I'm curious: why did you phoned instead using the online reservation system? I done it online many times from Italy, and from my small opinion the system is working very well. You'll receive confirmation letter in few seconds after your payment.
Bye, Luca/Italy.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:37 am 

Hi Luca you can only book online 10 months before. 11 months before it's by telephone or email. It was very difficult to get through on 1 October :hmz: as I waited all the availability for some wilderness camps was booked out. :wall: however I booked what I could and am now waiting for cancellations. It's not easy but I am 95% got what we want :clap: