Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kgalagadi May 2014
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:23 pm 

Hello forumites

As the Kgalagadi quickly fills up , we took the plunge and booked for May 2014. I have been to the Kgalagadi as a young boy about 25 years ago. My wife has never been to the park and we are very exited. It will be me, my wife and 2 year old boy. We wiil spend our first night at Twee-rivieren, then 2 nights at the Tented camp, 2 nights at Nossob and a night at mata-Mata.

Any word of advice will be welcome to the above itenirary, as we are also thinking of visiting Augrabies seeing that we are in the "area". We will be travelling about 1500km to reach the Kgalagadi.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi May 2014
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello Kallie 404
Mata and Nossop are quite far apart but the upper dune road connecting the two is in excellent condition
The tented camp is only 3kms from mata mata .so maybe Twee rivien then Nossop and then the other two . travelling there takes a long time even though the distances look small
Anyway Have a great time

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi May 2014
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi kallie404

My only advice will be to stay a bit longer at each camp and I agree with Hugh's suggestion.

What about the following plan:

Augrabies
Twee rivieren (1 night)
Nossob (3 nights) (distance from TR to Nossob is 161 km)
KTC (3 nights) (distance from Nossob is 161 km)
Exit Mata-Mata / TR to Cape Town (add visit to Ai-Ais)

You will basically safe the ones day's travel between Mata-Mata and Twee riveren and total between camps and exit gate will be 440 km instead of 558 km if you do not want to exit at Mata-Mata, but use TR as entry and exit gate.

You will be required to have valid passports for your family including 2 year old son if you want to exit at Mata-Mata. Also remember that passports can only be stamped at TR .

In terms of accommodation I found that the family units at KTC are very nice to stay in with kids, but no electricity to charge cameras, cellphones etc. The area around the unit is very small, but should be fine for a 2 year old and safe to move around as long as all the gates are kept closed. The camp is unfenced and you might get wild animals like hyaenas getting very close to your tent.

I am not sure where you will be booking at Nossob, but most units are fine for a family of 3.

Remember to bring drinking water along. During my first visit 15 years back the water was fine to drink.
You will get water in the shops, but its always good to pack as much as possible just in case they ran out of stock.

Medicine against fever and cold for the little one is also important. They turn sick quite quickly and Nossob is very far from the nearest doctor. My son was 3 years old during his first visit, in June 2002. We camped along the Orange river at Pella and found it bitterly cold. Any extreme weather is possible, therefore ensure you pack warm jackets and extra blankets for the little one. During the day it will be very sunny, but again you can get cloudy weather and a cold front at that time.

Even although you need to remember to pack a lot of stuff, I am sure this will be the first of many for your family. Good luck with all the planning.