Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: KTP - 4 weeks in the park
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:11 am 

Hello to all forumites. Reading through the forum for a couple of years now I would like to ask my very first question :dance:

We have already visited KTP in May 2007 (5 nights) and Nov 2011 (15 nights). It was always a great experience and this year we will do our ultimate vacation and stay for 28 nights starting Oct 30. :lol:

We will travel with a 4x4 Camper so space is limited which means we can not take as much food/water, etc. as we will need for the four weeks. We are coming from Windhoek, so will buy as much as we can there.

In 2011 the offer in the shops was very limited, even drinking water was most of the time only available in 1,5 l bottles.
From what I have learnt, owners have changed. Are the shops better stocked now and do they usually have the large 5 liter water cans on stock. Will some fresh produce (squash, cabbage), fresh bread and frozen meat be available, at least at 2R?

Thanks a lot for your help and greetings from Germany

Grit

Post subject: Re: KTP - 4 weeks in the park
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Grit and a very warm welcome to posting on the Forum :thumbs_up:

You do realise that most of us are incredibly jealous that you are going to our favourite place for a whole MONTH :mrgreen: Hope you have wonderful time and wishing you fantastic sightings ...

As regards the shops, they have been taken over by SANParks again and they have changed quite a lot. The last twice I have been this year they have been quite well stocked in Twee Rivieren - dont know about the other camps as havent been this year but they are obviously a lot smaller shops so their stock is always a lot less. The shop at TR had 5 l water and they even have a fridge that has eggs and cheese and some fruit and veggies in as well as bread and rolls and meat ....

Will send you a PM now with details of the other little places near to the park you can buy fresh stuff - dont want to get into trouble by mentioning non-SANParks things on here :wink:

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:23 pm 

Hi scouter

Thanks for the info. That sounds good, so we will be able to buy goods every time we pass 2R.

Apart from Bitterpan and KTC we have bookings for all camps and wilderness camps, as well as for the Botswana camps Rooiputs and Polentswa. So we will "cruise" thru the park in all directions :thumbs_up:

Does anyone know if the construction of the planned new lodge at Polentswa has already started? I have heard that Rooiputs can be booked but no News about Polentswa...

Grit

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:54 pm 

Hi Grit 1962,

The lodge at Rooiputs is already completed and you can book accommodation there. Polentswa is also close to completion. We will arrive at Rooiputs on 1 Dec and just miss you by a few days. It will be our first time at Rooiputs and hope that the lodge is not so bad as every-one say.

I will PM you two Facebook links about new lodges in KTP.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:54 am 

Thanks PRWIN

I was not at all aware that the Polentswa lodge is nearly finished. We will not stay at the lodges as we have our camper, so will will stay at the campsites of Polentswa and Rooiputs only. (The lodge prices are not within our budget :cry: )
I was more concerned about construction trucks running through the park or construction noise around Polentswa scaring off the animals.

I hope we will have good sightings but we have decided to go there with no expectations because it will be hard to top our last visit in November 2011 when we were spoiled with so many lions, cheetah and even leopard sightings.

We know we will enjoy every single day in the park :thumbs_up: whether we see a lot or not.

Grit1962

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:35 pm 

Hi Grit1962,

SO and I will be in KTP 24th Oct to 7th Nov so maybe we will meet on the road somewhere. Post your dates/camps under Meets and Greets and don't forget your Yellow Ribbon. :)

If we miss you then we wish you good sightings!

Regards,

DASSIEDELIGHT

KNP SEPTEMBER 2014
4/5 B 'n ' Dal
6 Skukuza
7/8 Tamboti
9/10/11 Shimuwini
12/13/14 Shingwedzi
15/16/17/18/19 Letaba