Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bitten and want another bite
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:00 pm 

I visit the KTP on a regular basis. In my experience the roads can be terrible. During our previous visit we drove from the auob river bed along the lower dune road to the nossob riverbed and from there to dikbaardskolk and along the upper dune road back to the Auob. We drove a Nissan Navara double cab bakkie and it was an absolute bone jarring experience. When confirming a reservation sanparks also warn that the roads are not passenger car friendly and in my considerable experience this is true. Sometimes you are fortunate in the sense that when you arrive the roads have just been graded and then they will be fine for a few days, but do not bargain on this. Most of the time they are bad and even when driving a 4x4 bakkie it can be very uncomfortable. Keep in mind that at nossob and mata-mata the lights do not stay on overnight. It is switched on again only at 5.30 am and those bugalows, especially in summer, are like ovens. Ay nossob I once sat outside on two successive nights when the heat inside was unbearable. Reduce tyre pressure to 1,5 bar for a more comfotable ride.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Lots of great advice you're getting here, moobox! :thumbs_up:

Let me add my little bit as well.... In terms of the mrs - does she enjoy KNP? Because if she has been enjoying your KNP visits over the years, you can almost guarantee her she'll enjoy KTP. Just like Hilda, we go to KNP often, but have been (for a 8 night trip) to KTP once before. It was great. Don't expect Kruger in any way. It is very different, but great in its own right. Amazing sightings of cats, with few cars around, and in late winter - no bushes obscuring your view. And lots of animals you don't see in KNP - nice difference.

When we went, we also stayed at least 2 nights at a camp, and it gives you enough time to experience the camp, as well as get a good overview of the park. On our previous trip we flew in to Upington and hired a Daihatsu Terios (was the cheapest 4x4 option). It worked out great. During our stay there, we regularly bumped in to a couple from Caledon, who travelled throughout the park in their Camry - and they seemed quite happy. Guess it all depends... We will be braving the possibility of 40'C in December - when we will be visiting KTP for our 2nd time. This time we have our own 4x4 (Honda CR-V), will see how that goes... One cares much less about that hired car than your own! :tongue:

20-22 June - Tamboti
23-25 June - Shimuwini
26-29 June - Shingwedzi

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:25 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Not even the heat could put me off Bushbuddies! We had 47 degrees during March when we were there, and we just closed the windows and put the aircon on, but I didn't want to miss a thing! It is a wonderful place, completely different from KNP, but in it's own right, another peace of "heaven on earth"! :dance: :dance:

Bushbuddies wrote:
This time we have our own 4x4 (Honda CR-V), will see how that goes... One cares much less about that hired car than your own!

We have also used our own 4X4. If you drive at a decent speed you won't have any problems. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OK thanks a lot folks. So, I've been doing the missionary work with my wife and it's sort of going OK. I suggested that I want to buy a 4X4 and things started going bad so I stopped it there. Now, I'm wondering what the best time of the year would be. I am thinking probably about September for temperature. Also the bush should be pretty skraal (thin). Then again, it would be wonderful to see a bit of a rainstorm by some small chance if I went in the summer. I think I can cope with the heat but when I hear people talking about -7 temperatures I think that is crazy. I will surely die or want to die.

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:55 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Moobox, the bush in Kgalagadi is always "skraal".........but the grass could be high!!

Nossob landscape in February

Same area September

Normally we have summer rainfall. Which could mean that you could get that Rainstorm in Spetember!?!?!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes, you see? There in Feb the grass is tall and all sorts of things big and small, can sneak around in it unseen. But September looks just right.

I've been looking at a a chart on the SANParks site of monthly average temperatures. Maybe I am not following but the diurnal ranges especially June and July just seem wild hey! I think those lows might make me get hysterical.

Maybe the regular KTP visitors can advise. How do you cope. Do you stay in your sleeping bag for the morning drive? Does anyone stay in a tent then? I'm thinking maybe take a few jerry cans of Old Brown sherry along - never mind water.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:27 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
in tent at KTC it was... the second night I put all my clothes in the bed... with me... to be able to put them in the morning... :lol: it was in September 2012

at the same time at Urikarrus, I was unable to get up when Lions are roaring just behind :lol: :doh:

and I come from... the snow :lol: :lol: :lol:

this year in March, it was certainly my best ever travel/sightings :thumbs_up:
but both September and Jan/Feb.March are very good :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the input Anne-Marie
Well, sounds like I might just have to go for a bungalow or a hut or something because I'm not at all encouraged by the cold in September and lions trying to warm things up. But it's a bucket list thing and it must be done at least once and hopefully more. I just dont want it to be the last thing I do.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:18 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
moobox wrote:
But it's a bucket list thing and it must be done at least once and hopefully more. I just dont want it to be the last thing I do.

I'm sure you will survive moobox! :lol: :lol:

I can also assure you that it will not be your last visit to Kgalagadi! Even during your last days of this visit, you will start planning the next one! Wanna bet? :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We tented in July, just under a month ago. It was a mild winter, it didn't go below freezing. We were fine :)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:46 pm 

Hi Moobox,
In my experience over many visits to KTP, November, April and May are the best times to visit. Mid winter is unpleasantly cold and the summer months can be very hot with the possibility of serious rain. I can take heat, but 45 to 50 degrees as it was in March this year is taking it a bit too far when you are camping.
Do not even think of going in a sedan - you'll do the trip but you'll take 100000ks off the lifespan of your car. Your NP200 is fine.
If you're camping, don't hop too much. Spend at least 2 nights at a camp.
Enjoy.

PS. There's a Bushman saying that says if you take a woman to the Kalahari, she will pine to go back.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello all

Few more questions folks. And there's bound to be more as we go along so please bear with me. Someone told me that the roads have like an embankment all along the sides that you wont see over very well in a low car. Can anyone give some info on this? Why is it like that? Is it all over?

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:35 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
AFAIR moobox, it is only between Melkvlei and Dikbaardskolk in the Nossob River. The road is 'cut into the riverbed. For long periods you can just see the top of the ridge, but that is where the grass grows quite thickly, so your viewing will be obstructed in a low car.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:09 pm 

This is true Moobox - the side embankments can be high. Basically, SANparks allows too many vehicles to use these roads so they get graded and graded and graded until they are eventually below ground level. But unless you have a super high vehicle you will be affected to some degree so don't worry about it.
There are more than enough "open" roads and waterholes etc, for you to be quite comfortable in your NP200.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A silly question but I must ask it. In my plannings, I am wanting to spend some time at two of the Wilderness camps viz. Grootkolk and Urikaruus. I see that they are unfenced. So what does this mean? When it starts getting dark do you go inside and close up everything and stay there until morning and then look outside to see if the coast is clear and then go outside? Seems that there are some pretty big things that wander around at night.

Cheers - Ed