SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Bitten and want another bite
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello all
So, recently got the KNP fever. What I mean is that I just cant get there quick enough. Spending time there every couple months for the past year or so. But scratching around on SANParks site, it struck me there's more bites to be had. And a bite that interests me is that of KTP. So, I'm looking at an end-of-Winter/Spring trip. See, I dont see that the wife is gonna be so crazy to go in Summer when it's 40+ degs or in the Winter when it is how cold?

Now, tell me good people, if you think this is a reasonable plan. I live in Ekhurleni and so I reckon that it may as well be a good few days. I'm thinking 7 or so. So, I'll make my way to Upington. Probably take about two days to get there and take in the sights on the way. Then from there up to Twee Rivieren and spend a night there. Then off to Nossob and sleep there. Then Grootkolk and sleep a night there. Back to Nossob and I think sleep there again because it might be a bit hectic going straight to Mata Mata. And then to Mata Mata and sleep there. And then down to Twee Rivieren for the last night before heading back home.

But wait! There's more! I hear about a place called Hotazel. And I must tell you that just the name of the place make me think I must go there at least once in my life.

Cheers - Ed

Post subject: Re: Bitten and want another bite
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I suggest go via Mokola either on the way there or back Gem of a game park.
I wouldn't move around so much .. either Rather stay in one or two places But then I am old and am slowing down !!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:36 pm 

hi moobox
warm welcome to the forum :)
my suggestion would be 1 night Twee R, 2 nights Nossob, 2 nights Grootkolk, and then 2 nights Mata mata (bit of a loooong day trek to get there) amd then back to Twee R for the last nite
let us know what you decide and happy planning :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the advice Hugh and tigger. Ja, I've been thinking to slow the thing down a bit and stay over a bit at each camp. But then I think I'd rather look at extending the stay a few nights becasue I would like to get an overall of the Park.

I didnt mention that I dont have 4X4. So, it'll be in a normal car or maybe my little NP200. Something I have been considering is renting a 4X4. I see that on SANParks site there is mention of collecting hired cars at Twee Rivieren. Can anyone shed some light on the process? I also read somewhere about renting a 4X4 at Upington. But that pretty much means I've got to arrive and leave via Upington.

Tigger - I think it is going to be a while before my mind is made up on the exact itinerary. And then to persuade the wife that we will be spending about two weeks in a desert next Winter. Working on that already.

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:39 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi there Moobox :D and a very warm welcome to you :gflower:

Great to see your enthusiasm. :thumbs_up:

Moobox, if you are not going to be staying in camps where 4X4 vehicles are mandatory, it is not essential. I have seen that many people have gone without the use of a 4X4. Maybe someone more experienced can give you some advice on that.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:02 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
A warm welcome to the Forum from me too Moobox! :D

Unfortunately I cannot give you much advice on KTP, since we've only been there once (in March this year) for a very short period of time, mainly to see what it is like and whether we would like to go there again, for a longer period of time. What I can tell you is, as soon as we came home, I started on our itinerary for next year April, when we will be staying 3 nights in Augrabies and 9 nights in KTP! It is a WONDERFUL place :dance: :dance:

I like Tiggercat's itinerary, but would include a night or two at Augrabies too, and of course Mokala, as Hugh has said, which we haven't done up to now. :wink:

All I can tell you, is that you will ALWAYS go back! Enjoy the planning! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
welcome to the forum moobox :D
what a superb idead you got... going to Kgalagadi :dance:

like tiggercat said, 2 nights at Nossob... but one before the two at Grootkolk and one after seems to be better... and so not too long way to Mata Mata
you can try also Urikaruus, it's a jewel, like Grootkolk :clap:

No need a 4x4, but a car a little bit higher (in tall) would be nice :wink:
you can't collect car at Twee Rivieren... "only" at Upington
don't say to the wife it's a desert... :hmz: it's semi-desert with a lot of trees, grass and also sand :lol: and so easy to find and watch animals and birds :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:07 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Moobox and a warm welcome to the forum.......... :gflower:

Kgalagadi is an absolute jewel... :dance: :dance:

The suggestion from tiggercat is perfect. :thumbs_up: August/September is a lovely time to spend in the Semi Dessert. August do have some days that can be windy, but day temperatures are very nice.

A car or small bakkie is perfect. The roads do get corrugated and that is one of the reasons people like to hire a 4X4. If you want to know more, please drop me a pm and I'll send you contact numbers for 4X4 hire places in Upington.

Enjoy the rest of your planning.......... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We've just come back from our first KTP trip.
You can do JHB-Twee Rivieren in a day if you can drive for 12 hours.
I'd spend less time driving around.
We did 1 night TR, 4 nights Nossob, 2 nights MM, 1 night TR. I'd spend at least 2 nights in Nossob and MM. Didn't go as far north as Grootkolk, so I can't comment. Next time I will, just to see Union's End. The distances in KTP are large, they say eg 3.5 hours from TR to Nossob, but that's if you stick to the speed limit (almost impossible with state of the road) and don't stop for animals. I figure 6-7 hours a more realistic time to get between the main camps.

You cannot miss Augrabies Falls NP. Its about 4-5 hours from TR, and definitely worth the experience. An amazingly beautiful park.

We were there mid-winter. It wasn't too cold, certainly not what we were expecting, but it was apparently a very warm winter, and not at all typical.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:46 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We stayed in KTP end of August/beginning Sept, and the weather was perfect.
Lovely warm days (26c average) and mild evening/nights (12c average)

We only had a small sedan car, and found that perfectly ok, though obviously didn't go anywhere that requires a 4x4!!!

I had been visiting Kruger for 35 years, and decided it was time I was introduced to KTP.
It was a good decision...............very different to Kruger, but well worth a visit, with a beauty of it's own.

We will return again soon I'm sure.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Isnt that just typical? You ask for some advice and they add a week to your itinerary!

So, I'm adding two nights for Mokala and two nights for Augrabies. Anywhere else you folks think I should be going?

Nah, just kidding people. I really appreciate all the input and welcomes here. Seems reasonable that while I am down that side I should take in as much as possible. But there are some things that I must do. I must try and go through my mother's place of birth (Danielskuil). I have never been there.

As far as hopping from camp to camp too much, I heed the advice and will reevaluate my plan. I want to go Grootkolk though because I feel I want to take look at Union's End. I'm not a historian of any sort but get great sense of awe when at historical spots and occasions. So any input from that aspect for the area will also be appreciated.

So, now I am in two minds about the 4X4 thing. I am sure that it will be a heck of an added expense and I'd hate to get there to discover that I didnt need it so much anyway.

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:39 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum moobox,

I cannot comment on getting there from the Big Smoke, but I would recommend staying more than 1 night at each place you decide to stay at, except maybe the last at 2R for an early getaway.

From Nossob to Union's end and back is a day trip, and Union's End is a 'corner' of the country and I have been there just because it is there. It helped that we had lion and cheetah sightings to ourselves - try THAT in Kruger :twisted: - and come to think of it, most of the north of the park as well.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
I cannot comment on getting there from the Big Smoke, but I would recommend staying more than 1 night at each place you decide to stay at, except maybe the last at 2R for an early getaway.
that's what we did and it worked quite well

Bush Baptist wrote:
From Nossob to Union's end and back is a day trip
That's what we thought 3 weeks ago but the road up north was so bad we decided the distance was not doable in a day. We got as far as Lijersdraai, had a cook-up then turned around. Its also hard mid-winter because the gate times make for a much shorter day.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Josh of the Bushveld wrote:
.....That's what we thought 3 weeks ago but the road up north was so bad we decided the distance was not doable in a day. We got as far as Lijersdraai, had a cook-up then turned around. Its also hard mid-winter because the gate times make for a much shorter day.......
right... and not only in case of bad road... I saw a Leopard for more than 30 min (alone, not the Leopard... ME :lol: ) and another time an Honey Badger also for more than 30 min (alone) at Lijersdraai :shock: :dance: and a lot of other thing along the road :wink:
so think it could be wise to stay at Grootkolk... and the camp is so... beautiful :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

People, I am listening. Thanks aplenty for all the input here. It is really apreciated.

About the 4X4, I am sure it will be quite some expense and I'd hate to got that expense just to discover that I really didnt need to. So, we'll see. I'll gauge things a bit closer to the time.

Cheers - Ed