Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Advice on booking for a KTP newbie! Help please!
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:58 pm 

Hi everyone,
We're planning our first trip to KTP. I've been stalking the forums for a while but I'd appreciate some advice. We're planning to visit in July 2015 so will be booking soon. I'm planning to phone at 7:30 the day booking opens but I'm aware we may still not get what we want so I assume we should have an alternative planned in case we don't get our first choice. I'd appreciate people's opinions and in particular views on KTC v River view chalet at Mata mata.

So at the moment this is what we're hoping to get:

Twee Rivieren (Family Cottage) 2 nights > 2 nights Urikaruus > 2 nights Kalahari tented camp or Mata mata (River view chalet) > 2 nights Nossob (chalet) > 1 night Kieliekrankie.

We could do it the other way round (KK> Nossob> KTC> Uri> TR). I'm assuming that even if I can't get first choice I will be able to get something at TR, Mata mata & Nossob but am aware that I may not get Urikaruus or KK so if I can't get KK I think we'd do the final night at TR and if there's no space at Uri we'd do one more night each at Mata mata and Nossob.

Does this sound like a good first-time route?
Any tips on how to increase our chances of getting what we want? I will be phoning at 7:30 the day booking opens (We can't go in person as we're in the UK!) Is it best to ring the Central reservations number or one of the satellites?

Thanks for your help!

3rd & 4th Urikaruus
5th & 6th Nossob
7th Kieliekrankie

Counting down already!!!

Post subject: Re: Advice on booking for a KTP newbie! Help please!
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:18 pm 

Hi Mez,
You will love KTP.
I think all the camps have their merits and a mix of main and wilderness is good.You have missed out my favourite,Grootkolk,although people say Urikarus is great but in 3 trips I have never managed to get a booking!
Last April we stayed at the RF chalets in MM and thought they were great.
Like you we are UK so donT underestimate the distance and time to get there if you are flying in to Jo'berg and plan to stop on the way"I can recommend Mokala NP and the hotel in VanZylsrus ,and Upington has some lovely lodges on the river and good shopping.
If I could choose9 nights they would ,

2 KK
1 Nossob
2 Grootkolk
2 Urikarus
1MM
1TR
If you could get this are similar you would be well pleased.
As for getting the booking just keep phoning on opening day and fingers crossed.(Urikarus is always gone in minutes)
Cheers,
"

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello there .
You bookings sound great .
I usually phone the Office in Cape town but It opens a little later than the head office does ..but usually one is put though immediately without a long wait. If you miss what you want still book what they have to offer as you can look for cancellations during the year and you might be lucky ... as long as you have something is better than not have anything. so Good luck

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:28 am 

If your trip falls in the winter holiday period it will be difficult to get what you want
As it is your first trip to KTP why not start in 2R just to get ready for the days to come.
Perhaps a night drive or a morning walk?
1 x 2R
2 x KK
1 x Nossob
2 x Grootkolk
1 x Nossob
2 x Urikarus (KTC)

I personally rather stay in wilderness KTC than in the (in my opinion) luxurious MM riverfront chalets . KTC gives me a more authentic feeling (no TV, no noisy aircons etc.) although the rf chalets are perfect situated.

Start your booking with the most difficult to get wilderness camps
And keep checking the availability. Last week for example 4 nights Urikarus start July popped up, so you 'll never know

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:35 pm 

Thanks for the help so far guys!
Can I ask how long (approx) it takes to get from Nossob to Mata Mata and also from Nossob to Urikaruus?
I will think about trying to throw Grootkolk into the mix - didn't think we could without 4x4 but realised I was getting confused with Gharagab - we would generally like to spend at least 2 nights most places and am worried we'd have to spread ourselves out too much if we add in Grootkolk. Would it be possible to go from Grootkolk to Urikaruus, Mata Mata or KTC in one go (ie not spending a night in Nossob in between) do you think?
Thoughts?
Many Thanks!

3rd & 4th Urikaruus
5th & 6th Nossob
7th Kieliekrankie

Counting down already!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:38 am 

Because of the lack of loop roads,as in Kruger,most drives end up returning along the same road. This means that changing camp is a drive in itself , seeing new landscapes and hopefully animals.
Grootkolk to MM (or others) is easily doable in a day,albeit a long one,and with stops at picnic sites it is lovely.
We have done that drive several times and arrived at MM mid afternoon.
Last visit we left KK at first chance and arrived at Grootkolk mid afternoon,with a relaxed drive and plenty of game viewing and picnic stops.( by choice would have stopped at Nossob but bookings did not allow).
Cheers.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:55 pm 

We also have done KTC to Grootkolk in a day. The intent was to leave first thing in the morning, but we got sidetracked by lions at Dalkeith, and did not leave there until mid morning. The leopard in the tree near Polentswa also slowed us down a little - lol - but we still arrived in Grootkolk later in the afternoon. We really enjoyed the drive.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:36 pm 

Hi Mez: I like your camps :thumbs_up: - if you can get them - except that I would just do 1 night at TR and rather go for an additional night at Nossob.
I use a satellite office which is in the Pretoria area - local number 012 991 0758. They are very helpful in arranging the booking.
We first see if/when we can get the most sought after camp in the approximate time we want to visit, then we tack on the before and after days. We have found that not being locked into exact dates works best with all our Sanparks bookings.
Then we arrange the leave days accordingly.
Hope you get what you want :) but be prepared to take what you can get and then keep checking to see if you can make changes

Bitterpan 2 - 4 Mar (might change)
KTC 4 - 7 Mar
TR 7 Mar

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:25 am 

If it's any help I phoned the main number when bookings opened 11 months in advance and just waited once I got connected. Used a lo call number from UK. Waited half an hour or more.

Got most of our choices for this September but had to think quickly as it was all going fast. Going for 13 nights all wilderness camps. I had to keep checking for a couple of weeks then got 3 nights at Urikarrus it was amazing how quickly cancellations came up. I used KTC to hold the spare nights until I could change. Sanparks very helpful and efficient. Just book what you can and then keep checking. Pen

Post subject: Thanks everyone! And now a bit of travel help please?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:22 pm 

Thanks again for the help guys - I rang yesterday morning and am very pleased with the bookings I got - 2 night TR, 2 nights Mata mata, 2 nights Uri, 2 nights Nossob, 1 night KK.

And now if you could give me a bit more advice please? After KTP we're planning to go down to Addo for a few days - now here's my question, do you think the drive from KTP to Addo is doable with one overnight stop or do you think we need 2? Obviously this is a holiday so don't want it to be horrible but we'd rather have the extra night in Addo or Cape Town (which will be our final stop - and where we're flying to & from... I love the penguins - can't resist a day at Boulder's beach!)

Also does anybody have any recommendations of places to stay on the way? Sorry if this has already been discussed but I did search through the forums and couldn't find anything.

Thanks!
Mez

Edited to say obviously please PM any non-SANParks recommendations!

3rd & 4th Urikaruus
5th & 6th Nossob
7th Kieliekrankie

Counting down already!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:02 pm 

Brilliant you got your bookings! We are doing it the opposite way next year stopping at Karoo NP on the way up to KTP from CT area. I think Addo might be a bit out of the way, but others will advise. This is the trip 33 days
Jberg
Bloemfontein
Mountain Zebra NP
Addo
Tsitsikamma
De Hoop
Franshhoek (visiting the penguins on route to here!)
Karoo NP
Keiliekrankie
Bitterpan
Gharagab
KTC
Keiliekrankie
Litchenburg
Jberg and home

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:17 pm 

Thanks penolva, I know Addo isn't on the way from KTP to Cape Town but we'll meander our way along the Garden Route to get to Cape Town from Addo which will be nice - maybe go to Oudtshoorn/ Cango caves or maybe Knysna or something. There will also be an overnight stop or 2 before CT, means we get to see the Ellies and don't do the same drive twice - may not be the most perfect route but somehow it appeals!
Mez

3rd & 4th Urikaruus
5th & 6th Nossob
7th Kieliekrankie

Counting down already!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:18 pm 

Also your trip sounds awesome!

3rd & 4th Urikaruus
5th & 6th Nossob
7th Kieliekrankie

Counting down already!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:29 pm 

Glad you got your booking!! :D If I was going to Addo then I would do 2 x stopover - specially since you are on holiday and there is no particular need to rush. You know of course that you will have to do a trip report :lol: :wink:

Bitterpan 2 - 4 Mar (might change)
KTC 4 - 7 Mar
TR 7 Mar