Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 7 nights in KTP.... where would you spend them?
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

So after reading all the amazing trip reports on the forums and seeing all the stunning photographs, my SO and I have finally decided to take the plunge and plan a trip to KTP.

We only have seven nights in which we can spend in the park. So open to suggestions on where to spend our precious seven nights I have heard Urikaruus and kalahari tented camp is great.

We will be driving from Johannesburg and this will be our first time. We travel to Kruger regularly so will be keen to find out the differences between the two parks.

Any advice?

Post subject: Re: 7 nights in KTP.... where would you spend them?
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:30 pm 

Urikaruus is a must but usually fully booked a year in advance. I would opt for Nossob as my second choice. We have had wonderful sightings north of Nossob. Kalahari tent camp is also great but for a change in scenery I like to go north

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:38 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
As this is your first visit, I would start of with one night TR, then Two nights MM (or KTC) then three nights Nossob (or Grootkolk if you could get a booking there!!) and then end with one night at Kieliekrankie or TR.

Then you have time to explore all the different parts of the park and see what it's all about.

Every camp has something special and it's so difficult to choose!!! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:41 pm 

first night KK
second and third Nossob
fourth and fifth KTC
number 6 Urikaruus
last night where you started KK!

nossob/ktc /urikarus you can change 2 or 3 or 1 night

GK is way up and only worth if you can get 2 nights in a row

sometimes we do 1 night Nossob 1 night Grootkolk and back 1 night Nossob again, but it is a lot a moving and it is really nice to spend a full day just sitting in the camp waiting for what might happen and relax
no driving just let the animals come to you instead of the other way around

last year we started and ended in KK and being in KTP for the last 9 years that was our favourite week!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:13 pm 

I would advise the first night in TR.You have to stop there anyway to get your tires deflated.Plus with the 24hour electricity it gives all your food a head start to stay cold and/or frozen
Depending on whether you will be driving home or to the airport TR again would also be a good choice for the last night
Remember you have to deflate your tires at the garage before you leave and that takes time in addition to the time spent driving from KK
Remember whatever you originally book can be changed.my original booking was in Oct for a Feb/March visit and it only vaguely resembles what I ended up with
I got Grootkolk mid January
So keep checking

2/25-27 Kieliekrankie
2/27-28 Grootkolk
3/1 Nossob
3/2 Twee Riveren
3/4 Mopani
3/5-7 Letaba
3/7-9 Lower Sabie
3/9-12 Biyamiti
3/13 Berg en Dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you for all the great advice. I am so looking forward to all the planning. So lots of suggestions for Nossob. I guess the choice now remains between Urikaruus or Kalahari. I think the thing that really appeals to me, is the accommodation over looking the waterholes. Is this true for all camps or any for particular camps. I am going to take Jonkers advice and let the animals come to us.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:04 pm 

One morning at Grootkolk there was so much action at and near the waterhole that there was no need to go out for a morning drive :dance:

2/25-27 Kieliekrankie
2/27-28 Grootkolk
3/1 Nossob
3/2 Twee Riveren
3/4 Mopani
3/5-7 Letaba
3/7-9 Lower Sabie
3/9-12 Biyamiti
3/13 Berg en Dal

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:05 am 

I must say that we always stay the night before KTP in Upington and are in the park somewhere during morning hours and we always sleep in Augrabies after our stay. So that's why for us KK was perfect

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:00 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It is a long and boring drive from Jo’burg to KTP. Have you considered flying to Upington? It is expensive but worth it as it saves you time. If you have to do your shopping in Upington as well, you will have to leave Jo’burg very early to drive in one day.

For 7 nights I would stay one night at KK, two at Uri, one at Nossob , two at GK and the last one either at Nossob or KK – depending on how far you have to travel from KTP.

If you have to choose between Uri and KTC it is definitely Uri. KTC is much bigger and the waterhole is quite far away.

TR KNP 2013 Gatita's KNP - will we visit a green park again? March 2013

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
2R is the only camp that does not have waterhole visibility. Its waterhole is 25 metres outside the gate, but not really accessible from inside.

It is ideal for last minite viewing.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:11 pm 

KTP Huh. Think we better start planning then.

Sounds like Upington is the place to stop for the food shop then. Any suggestions of the best shop. When driving to KNP we tend to stop in Nelspruit at either the SPAR opposite River Side Mall, or we go to the RSM. Anything similar should do.

What fuel options if any are there at the camps and do we need to draw all our cash before. In KNP we only trust Skukuza to draw any money as it's been a challenge in the past at other camps.

I can already taste that first Ouma rusk on the stoep whilst casting my eyes over the red sand of the Kalahari.

Next trip is in the planning phase........

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:10 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Riaanf31 wrote:
KTP Huh. Think we better start planning then.

Sounds like Upington is the place to stop for the food shop then. Any suggestions of the best shop. When driving to KNP we tend to stop in Nelspruit at either the SPAR opposite River Side Mall, or we go to the RSM. Anything similar should do.

At the Kalahari Mall in Upington there is a large Spar and a Checkers. In town there is a nice PnP and a Checkers

What fuel options if any are there at the camps and do we need to draw all our cash before. In KNP we only trust Skukuza to draw any money as it's been a challenge in the past at other camps.

Only TR, Mata Mata and Nossob have fuel. TR has an ATM (and this sometimes is not working) and the shop accept Credit and debit Cards. As far as I know the rest of the park you have to pay cash.

I can already taste that first Ouma rusk on the stoep whilst casting my eyes over the red sand of the Kalahari.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:52 pm 

Thanks LQ for the feedback.

Strange how the questions start racking up when you think of going to an unfamiliar place. :hmz: :hmz: :hmz: :hmz: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

I've had a look at the Sanparks pages for KTP. Some good pics and basic info. :hmz: :hmz: :hmz: :hmz: :hmz:

We tend to use conventional cooler-boxes. The type that don't plug in to the AC power of 4x4's. Would they suffice for KTP? I'm going to guess that there would be some lovely steak, boerewors & lamb cuts on offer in Upington.

This topic is why I love the Forum (knowledge sharing)

Next trip is in the planning phase........

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:21 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Riaan are you staying in chalets?? Then the normal cooler boxes will be fine. All chalets have fridge/freezers. Unpack your meat went you book in and then all will be :thumbs_up:

We've done "camp hopping" in December with only cooler boxes and the meat survived very well.

We try and put some news paper at the bottom of the cooler box and vacuum all meat in portion sizes. Then we put the cooler box in front of the back seat and put a blanket or a jacket on top to keep it out of the direct sun.

And yes some very nice meat variety.......... :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

SurfCindy,

Traveling from Jo'burg to KTP in one day can be done as long as you leave early (~ 12 hours). If you enjoy traveling in one go I would recommend Twee Rivieren for the first night or even the camp outside TR. Alternatively sleep over in Upington or between Upington and Askham / Molopo. This will give you the opportunity to choose any camp when leaving early from Upington for the first night in KTP.

Rooiputs area can deliver good sightings, therefore many will include TR camp. My choice will be:

First night outside park
2/3 nights Nossob
2/3 nights along the western Auob (any camp from Uri to Mata-Mata)
2 nights Kieliekrankie / Tweerivieren