Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: KTP Staying with children
Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:07 pm 

Hello,

we are a family with two children of 3 and 11 years age. Are there any camps in KTP one can stay with children? We have read that wilderness camps are not allowed, but what about camp sites e.g. in Botswana?
We live in switzerland, and its's kind of difficult to get information about that. Any advice would be very welcome.
Thanks
Ralf

Post subject: Re: KTP Staying with children
Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello and welcome .
Children are welcome at Twee rivieren , Nossp and mata mata. The bush camps are very nice but really not suitable for children as there are no fences .. Little ones could wander off.. and there are big cats outs there The accommodation isn't large enough for children either.
I know nothing about the Botwana side so please Mites out there help ...??
Have you thought of going to Augrabies national Park .. there its super for children .
Will you be camping in tents or staying in the Chalets ???

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:07 pm 

Hi Ralf, you do not say what time of the year you are thinking of. There are virtually no facilities on the Botswana side, a shower enclosure, an enclosure with a long-drop toilet and an open A-frame shelter. There will probably not be any water either. With 2 small kids I would rather stay on the South African side and if it is hot there is a swimming pool at each camp.
Malcolm

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:40 pm 

In addition to the camps Hugh has mentioned it appears that children under 12 are not barred from the Kalahari Tented Camp. The website states:

Quote:
Wilderness camps

Please note:

Chidren under 12 years are not allowed at these camps: Kieliekrankie, Urikaruus, Gharagab, Bitterpan, Grootkolk.
It then goes on to list KTC.

See here.

However the camp is NOT fenced so as Hugh says not really suitable for little ones who may wander off.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:18 pm 

to those who have stated that wilderness camps are not suited for children because these may wander off:

do you have children? because if you do you should know that if they are little as a parent you pay attention all the time - personally I don't think a Wilderness Camp in KTP is more dangerous than any city street with car traffic and yet parents usually do take their kids with them to city streets

personally, I had my daughter with me at Gharagab when she was barely three years old and at KTC when she was five

take a look at national parks in the US: they do have potentially dangerous animals like snakes, bears and wolves, in addition, little kids may fall off high cliffs or into raging waters and yet nobody would ever think of age limitations for their camp sites (which, by the way, are generally unfenced)

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:26 pm 

My children have children now :D and I know to pay attention/keep an eye on the little ones all of the time, Ice.
When you have more than one child it could happen that you do not notice one of them wandering off.
Our children are so precious and I appreciate SANParks and our 'mites rather erring on the side of caution.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:28 pm 

@ Hugh

why do you say the accomodation isn't large enough to accomodate more than two adults? These tents are certainly a lot bigger than most of the tents I see on the camps sites in TR, Nossob or Mata Mata

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:30 pm 

MATTHYS wrote:
My children have children now :D and I know to pay attention/keep an eye on the little ones all of the time, Ice.
When you have more than one child it could happen that you do not notice one of them wandering off.
Our children are so precious and I appreciate SANParks and our 'mites rather erring on the side of caution.

then don't go! but don't tell others not go, rather let them decide if they are up to it or not. Let them sign an indemnity form, if necessary

and by the way: why do they ban children from Grootkolk and Gharagab but not from KTC? Don't tell me the former are safer than the other

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:34 pm 

I am not telling others not to go, Ice.
SANParks have rules and with good reason. I have not been to the other wilderness camps in KTP, but have been to KTC and so have my children and they did not feel unsafe there.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:36 pm 

there is no "good reason" behind this rule, it's a stupid rule. I ask you once again: why are children allowed in KTC but not in Grootkolk, Kiliekrankie etc? where is the good reason behind that rule?

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:58 pm 

The author of this thread asked for advice re taking children to KTP. I and other forumites are advising as we see best, Ice. I would hate anyone's child coming to harm because of someone regarding SANParks' rules as stupid.
I will refer your query to SANParks PR.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:19 pm 

don't bother, your posts are enough PR talk for me :wink:

and by the way: you still have not answered my question! Anyone's child could come to harm at KTC just as easily as in Kiliekrankie.

look at your own comment: you have stayed at KTC and felt (quote) "safe". You have never stayed at other wilderness camps so you can only assume they are not safe (for children). And why do you assume so? Because SanParks says so. Let's forget about logic, let's forget about human common sense, let's simply quote and follow the SanParks bible.

I have talked to two different people who are very much involved in running KTP and both were unable to explain this rule to me. In fact, they both told me if they were able to, they'd abolish this rule completely.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:25 pm 

Quote:
don't bother, your posts are enough PR talk for me :wink:

Sorry, already referred and not assuming anything. Just telling you what I experienced.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:10 pm 

Ice, the only thing I tell people to do is obey the rules, which on these forums includes having some respect for other members - and this includes the Mods. SANParks have made a decision to not allow children into some Wilderness camps and it is totally their decision to make.

What I was trying to do is give the original poster some facts so that they can weigh up the risks as they apply to their family.

The difference between KTC and the other Wilderness camps? Well size of the units available is one.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:18 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
welcome neighbouring :yaya:

go to Kgalagadi :dance:
... you will stay later in the small camps, when our little one will be bigger :thumbs_up: