Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Predators at Picnic Sites, Waterholes and Toilets in KTP!
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In December of 2010 we almost bumped right into a male lion at the picnic table at DIKBAARDSKOLK on the Nossob river at the junction of the upper dune road! It was quite an adrenalin rushing experience for us.

This incident made me think that other forumites might have seen and photographed predators in other strange and unexpected locations where one would not 'normally' expect to encounter these animals. For example at the museum at AUCHTERLONIE, or in or near a toilet at a picnic site or on or near a waterhole signpost!

This thread may be very interesting and encourages you to place photos of such unusual sightings with some commentary if you feel like it!

It would be nice if you could post such possible photos with the particular waterhole signpost to appear in the photo!

Let's see how many waterholes, picnic spots and unusual places we can cover with lions, leopards and cheetahs near them!

DIKBAARDSKOLK PICNIC SITE

VEERTIENDE BOORGAT

Your comments wll make this even more interesting! I will post some more 'waterhole lions and leopards" at a later stage! Have fun! FMJ

DO NOT FORGET:
Predators at Picnic Sites, Waterholes and Toilets in KTP!

Post subject: Re: Predators at Picnic Sites, Waterholes and Toilets in KTP
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Monday September 03, 2012 - Unions End picnic spot. Another lioness who knew how to read. The complete story can be found in my trip report http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=66002

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

....and another waterhole sighting!

VEERTIENDE BOORGAT

This lion is not exactly in a KTP toilet, but certainly using the “Veertiende Boorgat” sign post as a toilet!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks FMJ. The leopard with the AWC was selected as Predator Sighting of the Year. It was quite a surprise and honour, considering all the fantastic photos on this site.

A few years ago, we pulled in to Dikbaardskolk picnic spot. We were the only ones there. Did a cursory glance around and then headed for the toilets. Came back to the vehicle and were getting ready to leave. I saw what appeared to be a bright yellow pipe, approx 7 metres away. I pointed it out to SO, and he said "That's no pipe, that's a SNAKE!". Sure enough, it was a snake peering out of it's hole in the sand.

It was our first trip to KTP and we hadn't seen any snakes, and we had no idea what it was. We waited around a bit, and 3 or 4 more vehicles stopped. SO went over to one group and asked them if they knew anything about snakes. No one did, but they all wanted to see it. SO led them over to the hole. One guy was barefoot. :big_eyes: Everyone was trying to see into the hole, but the snake was shy. SO described it as bright yellow. No one had any idea what it could be. Another vehicle pulled in, almost driving over the hole.

We looked it up afterwards and found that it was a Cape Cobra. :redface:

Lesson learned. It's not only big cats that might be hiding. KTP is a beautiful place, but it's not a playground. One must be careful at all times. :rtm:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:02 pm 

Hi,

Found a Puffadder in the mens toilet at Dikbaardskolk.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

lion queen wrote:
Sheenaugh-Lee wrote:
A Cobra? I would never have even thought it to be a cobra, IM assuming as its part of the cobra family its poisonous?? Eish walking sticks LOL

Yes SL your assumption is correct...... :thumbs_up:

Quote:
Cape cobra
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Cape cobra (Naja nivea), also called the yellow cobra is a moderate-sized, highly venomous cobra inhabiting a wide variety of biomes across southern Africa including arid savanna, fynbos, bushveld, desert and semi-desert regions. The species is diurnal and is a feeding generalist, preying on a number of different species and carrion. Predators of this species include birds of prey, honey badgers and various species of mongoose. The Cape cobra is also known as the "geelslang" (yellow snake) and "bruinkapel" (brown cobra) in South Africa. Afrikaans speaking South Africans also refer to the Cape cobra as "koperkapel" ("copper cobra"), mainly because of a rich yellow color variation. This species has no known subspecies

OMW they walking stick couldve caused some serious damage if it had struck thank goodness it didn't

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

January 2011 - Lisette and her 2 daughters under the watertanks at Auchterlonie ...

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:24 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

And one of my favourites ... Inside the ladies at Dikbaardskolk - thankfully the "puff otter" was gone by the time we got there :D

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

............and talking about scorpions and of course also very poisoness with an even more very painful sting!

We found these “critters” in the NOSSOB swimming pool in December 2010. Needless to say, the pool was evacuated in a record time!

DO NOT FORGET:

Last edited by Fotomaljohan on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

forestgump wrote:
On the 23rd December 2012, stopped for a picnic, and scanned the area for predators. Sure enough a lioness was watching up on the dune, a male lion was also lying nearby.
She moved behind the dune when she saw me looking up at her.She would peep over now and again to check on us.

On the 31st, on returning I had got out of the car not knowing that the car adjacent was busy taking photos of lions at their table !!
When the car moved my wife shouted that there are lions. :lol:

Warned arriving people to be aware, when the lions moved out of sight nearby.
Funny how people stare in disbelief when you tell them there are lions near you.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@ Jonkers: What I actually meant with the 'warm welcome' message, was to welcome you (and everybody else) to this particular "thread" for taking part in the discussions and not to the "forum" pages! Thank you once again!

@ Sheenaugh - Lee May I ask when last you were in KTP? Reason is, that if it was past end December/ beginning January 2013, there is an outside chance that we might have met!

On the evening of 29th December 2010 at about 9.30pm this 'Brownie' came out of the dark to drink at the Nossob water hole. (Photo: courtesy of my son-in-law, Brendon)

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:58 am 

Hi,

Here is the article Fotomaljohan mentioned:

English version:

Afrikaans version:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi there FMJ - here is the post from Jannie that you were looking for ;:

Post subject: Re: Recent Animal Sightings. Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:33 am and he was talking to Div - his post is a few before Jannies ....

Just to get back to your post of the Lion in camp. You are correct in saying that the lion did enter the camp through the Botswana gate, luckily the lion was seen soon and we were told about it (06h00). Park manager and I immediately went out to where he was sighted and started to 'push' him towards the fence (Botswana side) so that he could follow the tracks leading to the gate (Botswana).

It took us a good 20 minutes to get him out of the gate.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In reference to the photo of the “brownie” (on to the top of page 4 in this thread) that I published and taken by my son-in-law, Brendon on the evening of 29th December 2010 at the Nossob waterhole, just an interesting addition.

While drinking there, the "brownie" nervously looked up and stared into the darkness, away from the flood lit waterhole. He suddenly puffed himself up with his long hair standing up, so that he appeared to be much bigger than what he actually was. He suddenly decided to run off and disappeared in the opposite direction. From the dark where he was staring at, this 'fellow' appeared!

This Nossob leopard is officially called V-Nose because of a distinct “V” shape on his nose just above the eyes! (See Astromat's official ID research on KTP leopards and a thread here in the forum regarding leopard ID's) By the way, as most of you know, it is interesting to note that 49 leopards have been positively ID'ed in KTP with names given.

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On the 30th December 2012 just after 6.30am we travelled from Twee Rivieren to Mata Mata and saw these three lions in the riverbed. Two beautiful young males and one strong female. After about 15 minutes or so, they followed the female to the side of the road and eventually made themselves comfortable right in front of the Batulama signpost.

After a while, the two male lions became intensely interested in our vehicle and walked right passed me to the rear of the car. Something about their behaviour made me a little anxious. I started the car and started driving off slowly and then they followed! I went faster and they started running. The faster I drove, the faster they followed. At about 30 – 40 km/h I shook them off, luckily with no flat tyres or scratches to my vehicle!

This is how he looked at me – enough to send cold shivers up my spine!

DO NOT FORGET:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next