Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kia Sportage 2x4 of Nissan X-Trail 2x4???
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:26 pm 

Hi, I appreciate this topic has most likely been "done to death" but I haven't a clue about either car :redface: We have decided to cancel Bitterpan therefore do not need a 4x4. I have the choice of either of the above for our trip in September and would like some advice :pray: ...from what I can gather the Nissan has better ground clearance - good for the park and the Kia has better fuel economy - good for the drive from Johannesburg. I suppose we need the roomiest one for ALL our food AND our water. We are planning on buying a cool box that runs off the car in Johannesburg ( best place to buy this?) to make it easier as we will be changing accommodation quite a bit...I'm thinking X-Trail but am open to suggestions between either or another car altogether,.

Post subject: Re: Kia Sportage 2x4 of Nissan X-Trail 2x4???
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:13 pm 

Personally I would choose the one with the most space for packing but that's not really the purpose of my reply.

Just be careful with the electric cooler as it will easily drain a battery overnight. Switch it off when not in use.

Personally I would rather purchase a Coleman Extreme cooler and use ice to keep things cool. Thermo electric coolers tend to underperform in extreme heat.

I take it a Camp Master 12 V fridge is not an option?

Good luck.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:21 pm 

I was a regular to the KTP in a Nissan X trail 4x2 (I say "was" because I am about to do KTP in my new Ford Ranger double cab woohoo... 4 weeks to go :D ) The X Trail just had too much National park mileage on it and needed to retire.
I did several trips in the X Trail and it peformed well.
The ground clearance is more than adequate
The packing space is great (if there are only two of you you can drop the backseat completely flat to create lots of space). Or only one of the split back seats.
Also bear in mind there is a Nissan dealer in Upington... I dont believe there is one for Kia. So if things go wrong... I know which make I would prefer to drive. Also Kia spares are less readily available. Often have to come from overseas. Having said that as you appear to be hiring, this may not be a worry for you but rather the rental company if it does go wrong
Nissan's are built tough... Kia is a bit like a 'wannabee' gravel road car. Its probably better off as a city vehicle carting kids to rugby practice..
I dont believe the Kia offers anything over the Nissan.
My X Trail did typically 8 litres to 100km (even when it had mileage on it)... so not heavy at all on fuel for a 2.0l vehicle carrying a load on gravel roads and even at higher speeds.
For me this is a no brainer.. Nissan X Trail

Watch out for the fridge ... it will kill your battery if you are not carefull. Personally I have always used a Coleman Extreme cooler or a CADAC 5 day cooler. You are going to want to take the items out of the vehicle fidge and put them in the fridge in your accommodation anyhow (unless you like push starting your vehicle every morning) so why not just use one of the above coolers with ice packs.. ours items stay frozen for long periods like this.

Try "Outdoor Warehouse" for the equipment you need.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:14 pm 

Thanks for the replies.

Fanatic RSA...I think we will go for a cool box and ice packs, The Camp Master 12 V fridge sounds a bit expensive for a 3week holiday, as we are traveling from Scotland we will just be leaving the cool box "somewhere" when we are finished with it.

Parkfanatic...the X-Trail it is!! Sounds like the best option all round. I'm sure you will have many happy trips in your new " Ford Ranger double cab" :thumbs_up: Have a great time :D Is a CADAC 5 day cooler one that uses ice packs as well? I had a google and found a Coleman 4 day for around ZA900 as we will just be leaving it behind I don't want to pay much more.

I take it all the accommodation that have fridges have iceboxes for freezing the ice packs?

Thanks again

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:50 pm 

Mia mouse,
Yes the Cadac cooler uses ice packs. Coleman 4 = same thing. Both will work.
As far as I can recall all accommodation has fridges with freezers for cooling the ice packs (at least all of the accommodation I have ever stayed in. You can also buy packs of ice at Twee Rivieren if needed which will add to keeping the temp down in the cooler for the first days.

Ps: out of interest what dates are you in KTP?
Which camps are you staying?

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:53 pm 

Parkfanatic... we will pick up one of these cool boxes once we arrive in Johannesburg on 12th September, We have 2 nights in Marakele, 3 nights in Mokala, 2 nights in Augrabies then go into KTP on the 19th so far we have:

19th... Kieliekrankie (just became available tonight :D )
20th... Nossob
21st... Mata Mata (but hope to change to another night in Nossob if one appears)
22nd Homeless
23/24 TR
25/26 Kalahari Tents
27/28 Mata Mata
29.... TR...but hope to change to Mata Mata or Kalahari Tents
30... Kalahari tents...we did have Bitterpan but changes seen as we weren't having a 4x4

I plan to keep looking as would be happier with 2 consecutive nights, even our 2 nights in Mata Mata are in different chalets, could only get river chalet for one night. Hopefully we will get Urikaruus and/or Grootkolk (preferably Grootkolk I think). I just had to take what I could get so probably not in the best order! Any ideas? Where are the best sightings?

Not long til you head off, where will you be staying?

Last edited by MiaMouse on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:12 am 

Like Parkfanatic says, the Xtrail is the wiser choice. I'll be in the park in mid April and I believe this will be my 14 visit in the Xtrail.
Just remember the 2L petrol, like the one I have, is front wheel drive so you need to take care when driving in sand. There are a couple of sandy places , nothing to be alarmed about , but just be vigilent.
Minor issues that irritate; I have a 2005 model and the rear windows only open halfway also the Xtrails' electric windows only operate with the ignition on. Maybe not a prob in the newer models.

[color=#008000]

Birthdays are good for you - the more you have, the longer you live!

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:52 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Check what type of spare wheel they have (if any).

Manufacturers nowadays compromise your safety by giving you either an aeorosol can or a 'marie biscuit' spare instead of a proper one.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi MiaMouse :yaya:
We already rented an X-Trail and a Kia Sportage on previous trips and I have to say if you have to choose betreten either of them, I would rather go for the X-Trail.
It had much more space for all our stuff and we had no problem driving it in KTP.....