Skip to Content

Ais Ais Richtersveld Newbie

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld

Moderator: hilda

Tollie

Ais Ais Richtersveld Newbie

Unread postby Tollie » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:57 pm

I'm am a newbie as far as the Ais Ais Richtersveld is concerned. Will appreciate any advice re the following:
-To travel the whole park at leisure - how many days required to facilitate this?
-Chalet accommodation only - which rest camps are recommended, in view of distances to be covered?
-Travelling from Mpumalanga, which point of entry to the park?
-Best time of year
:thanx:

DinkyBird

Re: Ais Ais Richtersveld Newbie

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:40 pm

Hi Tollie

We spent 3 nights each at Gannokouriep and Tatasberg and that was just the right amount of time imo. Over those six days we were able to cover the entire park at leisure and to enjoy the camps as well.

You can stay in chalets only at Sendlingsdrift, and the two camps I mentioned. I would do it they way we did, stay at the two wilderness camps.

I think you can only enter at Sendlingsdrift as you need to book in there?

The flower season sounds lovely, we just missed it and went in October, and still found the park to be beautiful and very worth the visit. see our trip report here (incomplete, still plan to finish it one day :redface:
Sawubona
Dalene

Tollie

Unread postby Tollie » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi DinkyBird

Thank you so much for the sound advice!

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:17 pm

Pleasure! If there is anything else I can assist with info, please let me know. When we planned our trip I found very little info available on the internet.
Sawubona
Dalene

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Son godin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi Tollie,

We are doing a trip to Richtersveld in March and will be travelling from Trichardt in Mpumalanga. Its quite a distance and will take 3 days to get into the park (over 1700 km to the entrance gate). Our plans are as follows:

Day 1: 1100 km to Augrabies
Day 2: 632 km to Sendelingsdrift
Day 3-4: ~90 km to Tatasberg ( 4-5 hours to get there.)
Day 5: Gannakouriep
Day 6: Sendelingsdrift

The reason for booking Sendelingsdrift is due to the fact that it can take 4 hours to get into / out of the park and you won't get very far that day in terms of traveling distance.

Our entry route will be from south remaining in SA, while exiting we hoping to cross borders into Namibia at Sendelingsdrift and drive to KTP passing Ai-Ais hot springs and Fish River Canyon.

As already mentioned best point of entry is Sendelingsdrift. You will need a 4x4 to enter. I will post a map later to show the routes.

Tollie

Unread postby Tollie » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:41 pm

Hi Son godin
Thanks for the response. I will very much appreciate your feedback after your venture. I hope you have a fantastic trip! Does a Nissan X Trail qualify as a 4X4?

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Son godin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:06 pm

Tollie,

It will depend if it is the 4WD model. Do you have the diesel or petrol model. Ground clearance is a bit low at 209 mm, but there is only a few areas where you will need that. The tricky part is the last few km down to De Hoop. Have you done the 4x4 course when you bought the XTrail? They show you what is the use of all the fancy acronyms like HDC and HSA.

When driving in sand remember to lock 4WD lock instead of Auto. I am driving the Pathfinder, but sure you will manage in the Xtrail.

Tollie

Unread postby Tollie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:00 am

Son godin

Thanks for the response! It is the new 2.5 SE 4WD CVT (petrol). I have yet to do the 4x4 course.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Son godin » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:11 pm

I am collecting mine tomorrow, a 1.6dCi XE Diesel standard. The one you got was nearly my first choice, but then decided against it due to the less fuel consumption you will get from the diesel and we already have a 4x4. Might regret my choice later.

You must enjoy the course. We did one near Harties and on the day it started to rain and the terrain became muddy with a nice sticky clay that covered the tyres about 2 cm thick. Needless to say the HDC did not help because of no traction from the tyres.

When are you planning to go to Richtersveld? August time can be great when you start seeing the flowers and its greener.

Tollie

Unread postby Tollie » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:32 am

I am planning for April/May next year.
Enjoy your new Nissan!

Melda30

Unread postby Melda30 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:28 am

Hi Tollie
We did Richtersveld in a Nissan XTRAIL fine. We went slowly - 6 hours from Sendelingsdrift to Tatasberg and we stayed away from the thick sand.
We did Richtersveld again in an FJ which was much easier because of the low range but the Nissan will cope. Amazing vehicle. Enjoy - we love Richtersveld.

Melda30

Unread postby Melda30 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:37 am

XTrail at Richtersveld.

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:36 am

Hi Tollie,

August 2014 was a very special time for us to visit Richtersveld. They had some rain and it was flower carpets as far as you could see.

Have a look here for some of our photos............Richtersveld 2014

Enjoy the trip it is a wonderful park!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Tollie

Unread postby Tollie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:10 pm

Hi Melda30 and lion queen
Thanks for the positive response! I am certainly looking forward to the trip now> :D

Pitsi

Unread postby Pitsi » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:32 pm

Hi there,

We are planning to go to Ai-Ais in August this year and the plan is to sleep over at Augrabies for one night, then move on to Sendelingdrift for another night before crossing over into Namibia.

What would the best route from Springbok to Sendelingsdrift be: Drive straight through (past Eksteensfontein); or take a detour via Port Nolloth and Alexander Bay (I think I've heard somewhere that the latter route is better).

Oh yeah, we'll be driving a Duster 4WD, so judging by Melda's pictures, I think I should be able to drive there without going on a 4x4 course beforehand ... if I take it slowly. Or am I being overconfident now? :(
"Every minute outside and awake is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes

Return to “Arid Parks”