Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Use of drones/quadcopters illegal in KTP ?
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:10 pm 

I came upon this youtube clip that was posted in December 2013 - a few questions came up:
1 Surely this is not acceptable/illegal to use drones/quadcopters, or any similar devices in KTP ?
2. Unless it was done by authorization from the Parks officials ?
3. Or is it allowed on the Botswana side of the Park ?
4. Is there any indication of it being illegal on the visitors info given when entering the Park ?

Would like comments to get clarification on this as I somewhere on the forum read that these are illegal to use in KTP by visitors.

Post subject: Re: Use of drones/quadcopters illegal in KTP ?
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:46 pm 

Quote:
Would like comments to get clarification on this as I somewhere on the forum read that these are illegal to use in KTP by visitors.

Please see KTP's Park Rules/Park Regulations
Quote:
The use of drones inside (and over) our national parks is strictly prohibited.

and also Drone Photography in SANParks, Jan.dup.

edited to add quote.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:sup: What next? :big_eyes:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi jan.dup,

I was the unfortunate visitor that had to endure the noise coming from the drone during filming of above video and at that time no rule was formulated yet. It was not authorized by the park officials, but as you know Rooiputs is on Botswana side.

In the email reply I have received from Jan Kriel he said that under no circumstances visitors or staff are allowed to use drones within a National Park and arrangements was made to discuss the matter with the Botswana authorities.

Since this incident the rule is on the website page of KTP, but if it is in the rules handed out at reception I do not know, because some-one used a drone in Nossob camp without any restrictions in July. :wall: :wall: :wall: How was possible that the park personnel did not stopped the person from flying I am not sure :big_eyes: . A drone makes a lot of noise and it must have been heard from the office side.

It will therefor be interesting to know what is the answer on your question 4, because after the rule came out it was even used in a main camp.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:42 pm 

Thanks for the links to info Mathys.

Thanks Son godin for sharing the experiences and subsequent incidents highlighted. To be quite honest, and in my humble opinion, I feel that people that use these in such places for their own pleasure are extremely self centered and inconsiderate. For me it is common sense not to do this - imagine for example if "just" 10 visitors in Nossob use this at the same time - it's ridiculous !!!!!!

I would strongly recommend that whenever such an incident occur, we immediately report that to the Sanparks Officials in charge at that specific camp, or the nearest camp. I would also take a video or photo thereoff as proof - as I have done in the past with visitors breaking the rules. I found the Park Officials dealt with the problem Visitor accordingly in the instances I reported (with evidence). I would also recommend hefty fines, and if a recurrence happens a ban of such a individual from that specific park. I would also like to see this as a standard information item on all entry documents if not already so. The items that is mostly mentioned by staff when entering the Park is the speed limit and the tyre pressure (which I really appreciate) - and would ask if they can seriously consider adding this to that list - this will spoil everything that the park is all about for me, and I believe 99.9% of all visitors.

This is seriously ridiculous :( behaviour.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:56 am 

Son godin wrote:
Hi jan.dup,

I was the unfortunate visitor that had to endure the noise coming from the drone during filming of above video and at that time no rule was formulated yet. It was not authorized by the park officials, but as you know Rooiputs is on Botswana side.

In the email reply I have received from Jan Kriel he said that under no circumstances visitors or staff are allowed to use drones within a National Park and arrangements was made to discuss the matter with the Botswana authorities.

Since this incident the rule is on the website page of KTP, but if it is in the rules handed out at reception I do not know, because some-one used a drone in Nossob camp without any restrictions in July. :wall: :wall: :wall: How was possible that the park personnel did not stopped the person from flying I am not sure :big_eyes: . A drone makes a lot of noise and it must have been heard from the office side.

It will therefor be interesting to know what is the answer on your question 4, because after the rule came out it was even used in a main camp.

How did you stop from going to his campsite and breaking the b****y thing? :sniper:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jan.dup,

I agree 100%. We have not had to deal with drones in SA yet, but were annoyed by one in a. US Natl Park.

I also think that visitors should be notified when booking that drones are not permitted, hopefully then they won't even bring them along.

KNP July 2013

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:04 am 

cheetahlady wrote:
Jan.dup,

I agree 100%. We have not had to deal with drones in SA yet, but were annoyed by one in a. US Natl Park.

I also think that visitors should be notified when booking that drones are not permitted, hopefully then they won't even bring them along.

I tried to share this with a friend who is going to Rooiputs but the video seems to have been removed?? Whatever. but I find people who post their inappropriate videos often bottle out when challenged by people on the forums who really care about those wild places. Remember the people in Central Kalahari with their chain saw? :sniper: :naughty: ha ha