Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Camping with 4x4 CaravAN
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:18 pm 

Hi People

I am new to the forum and would like some advise please. I have not done a lot of research yet. We have been to the Kgalagadie a few years back and enjoyed it very much. We camped in Twee rivieren, Mata Mata, and Nossob that year. Since then we bought a Imagine 4x4 Comfort Van and is well equipped and self efficient. We did a tour through Botswana last year and gained a lot of experience.
We want to do a simialar trip In June 2015. Probably better to be pro-active. I have the following questions?
1) Want to enter at Twee Rivieren and camp in Mata Mata and Nossob. We would also like to go through the Mabuasehube area and camp there for a few nights. Is this viable or can someone suggest something else? We are coming from Pretoria and the total trip (excluding overnight stay midway between Pretoria and Kgalagadie and back) should not exceed 10 days.
2) We are also not sure whether we can travel from Nossob to Mabuasehube with our 4x4 Comfort Van? (We tow it with a Nissan 4x4 Hardbody).
3) Is it possible to do all reservations via the Sanpark Website (thus including Twee Rivieren, Mata Mata, Nossob and Mabuasehube)? Can someone recommend how many days where?
4) We are also considering doing a 4x4 Echo Trail (and apparently may not take our Comfort Van with)? Which Echo Trail would you recommend taking into account the above itinary as well as the maximum of 10 - 12 days in the Kgalagadi? We also need to know how many persons may go on a 4 x 4 Echo Trail because we are planning to do it in a group of at least 12 - 16 persons.
Can anyone assist with advise? Regards Willie

Post subject: Re: Camping with 4x4 CaravAN
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:41 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Hi Willie,

Warmest welcome to the forum! :D

You have to book Mabuasehube with Botswana Conservation. I think the most resent contact details can be found here.

Also have a look at this topic, you might find some answers to your questions there.
Kgalagadi: Botswana section

Hope that helps.. a bit. :wink:

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Post subject: Re: Camping with 4x4 CaravAN
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:33 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Yeah welcome to the forum Willie.

I have done the Eco trail (you won't find many places to hea an echo!).

I think 6 vehicles is the limit, and there is no limit to people per vehicle AFAIK.

You would need camping equipment, because you have to negotiate rolling dunes that should not trouble your hardbody.

It is a wonderful experience. :thumbs_up: