Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Rooiputs and Polentswa HELP
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:53 pm 

Hello
I am an italian photonaturalist and I love take photos in Kgalagadi where I went three times.
For next year I booked it again for 12 days in lodges expecially in special camps.
I read many very interesting notice about Rooiputs and Polentswa but for go there is necessary to be in two cars and have the camp's gear.
I will no have it and i will be alone (with my wife) by a rented 4wd.
So I tought to find a tour operator or someone that could help me to go there for 4 days-3nights starting from Twee after my trip.
Have anyone address or contact about to help me (off course no too much expensive) ?
Thanks a lot because it is very difficult from Italy to find the besr option and I would like have the opportunity to Know also those places.
Ciao
Giovnni
gioeli@quipo.it

Post subject: Re: Rooiputs and Polentswa HELP
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:18 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi Giovanni,

You do not need to be in 2 cars to go to Polentswa or Rooiputs from the South African side.

You would need camping equipment as there are no facilities except for long drop toilets, showers and a-frame shelters.

If you don't have a tent, you could sleep in the car.

You also need to book for RP & Pol via the Botswana reservations.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:03 pm 

Bush Baptist wrote:
Hi Giovanni,

You do not need to be in 2 cars to go to Polentswa or Rooiputs from the South African side.

You would need camping equipment as there are no facilities except for long drop toilets, showers and a-frame shelters.

If you don't have a tent, you could sleep in the car.

You also need to book for RP & Pol via the Botswana reservations.

Thanks a lot...but I have some problem to rent all for only 2/3 days so could be better find someone that could carry us in those camps.(but I have no contact)
An information
I will spend two nights in Groot...is possible from there make a trip to Pol during the day to see the place ?
How is the road or is closed for people that no spend a night there ?
Thanks
Gio

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:09 pm 

When next year?

One vehicle is safe. Polentswa no 1 is the best. A frame. And if you buy a small tent you can pitchnit under the A frame. Polentswa is not so far from Nossob. So, it is possible to buy all your food and drinks at Nossob.

Rooiputs is only 20 kilos from Twee Rivieren, easy drive to bath every day at Twee Rivieren , buy all your food there and easy for only 1 vehicle. I love camping spot 3 but no 5 and 6 looks over the new lodge/waterhole.

If you send me your email adres i can sent you some fotos.

But it is possible to buy yourself camping equipment and sell it afterwards.

By the way, witch airport you lamd?

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:01 am 

Elize de Klerk wrote:
When next year?

One vehicle is safe. Polentswa no 1 is the best. A frame. And if you buy a small tent you can pitchnit under the A frame. Polentswa is not so far from Nossob. So, it is possible to buy all your food and drinks at Nossob.

Rooiputs is only 20 kilos from Twee Rivieren, easy drive to bath every day at Twee Rivieren , buy all your food there and easy for only 1 vehicle. I love camping spot 3 but no 5 and 6 looks over the new lodge/waterhole.

You are very kindly
I think to arrive in Joburg or Cape town (at the moment I haven't decided the flight becouse I am waiting booking confirmation from the Park about the September's days in Kgalakadi.
Do you think could better Roolputs ?
Off course could be possible also rent a tent...but my wife not like stay too much near to scorpion...Other option could be rent instead of a normal 4 Wd a 4wd with a roof tent ..but it is necessary find an agency no too much expensive because I will use the roof only for 4 days and my renting time will be about 20 days... (have you any good tips about ?)
About my question to go in both camops only for a day trip what you think ? Is it possible and could be nice ?
Thanks
Gio

Last edited by saraf on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remove email address to avoid spamming, please PM if required

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:18 am 

Elize de Klerk wrote:
When next year?

You are not allowed to use Nossob or Twee Rivierens camping facilities to bath or wash if staying at Rooiputs or Polentswa. If spotted you will be reported, :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: You must be self sufficient in all aspects :)

Last edited by PRWIN on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:33 am 

Giovanni,

If your wife is worried about scorpions, a tent is a better bet than a chalet, because you can keep the tent closed when you are inside it, or outside it and the only time it is open, and accessible to scorpions is when you enter or exit the tent.

If there are concerns about scorpions, it might be wise to get a Ultra Violet (UV) torch which makes identifying them in the dark much easier. :thumbs_up:

G

KTP: 19-26 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:04 am 

PRWIN wrote:
[quote=

You are not allowed to use Nossob or Twee Rivierens camping facilities to bath or wash if staying at Rooiputs or Polentswa. If spotted you will be reported, :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: You must be self sufficient in all aspects :)

The number of people camping at Rooiputs or Polentswa is so miniscule that allowing them to shower at Twee Riviere or Nossob will not make any difference.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:07 am 

pietbak wrote:
PRWIN wrote:
[quote=

The number of people camping at Rooiputs or Polentswa is so miniscule that allowing them to shower at Twee Riviere or Nossob will not make any difference.

Off course ..I saw that it is no a problem...but..is possible go to both camp only as a day trip or the road is permitted only for resident ?

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:11 am 

giova wrote:
pietbak wrote:
PRWIN wrote:
[quote=

Off course ..I saw that it is no a problem...but..is possible go to both camp only as a day trip or the road is permitted only for resident ?

There I agree with you. I think with prior arrangement with the Camp manager this can be allowed. I visit the park very often and can see no interference issues.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:14 am 

I wont try as Brent is on the look-out for this the coming December and I will just remind him when I am there before the rush that there are going to be people doing it again, It's not great when the camp runs out of water and you can't flush your chalets toilets or bath. But you are paying R680 to over R1000 per night

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:31 am 

PRWIN wrote:
I wont try as Brent is on the look-out for this the coming December and I will just remind him when I am there before the rush that there are going to be people doing it again, It's not great when the camp runs out of water and you can't flush your chalets toilets or bath. But you are paying R680 to over R1000 per night

Your water argument is not valid as the guest at Polentswa and Rooiputs do fill up their water tanks at Nossub or Twee Reviere legally. If you read this thread carefully you will see that this is an overseas tourist and he will be making use of the other facilities in the Park. Please allow for some South African courtesy that we are known for. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:03 pm 

PRWIN wrote:

Surely taking a bath instead of a shower in your chalet is just as inconsiderate to the water needs of the park due to the massive difference in the amount of water used by a bath? :popcorn:

Just putting it out there. :twisted:

I personally shower rather than bath, and if there are water shortages, with a shower you can at least wet yourself, then lather up and wash with the water off, and then just rinse off with the water again. Using this strategy, considerate people who are showering can run through cleaning a whole family with less water than that one bath. :think:

I am sure there are inconsiderate people, but from my experience, many of those will be RSA citizens, but also by my experience, most people who enjoy visiting Kgalagadi are very sympathetic to the unique needs of the park where water is concerned. :thumbs_up:

Water at KTP should be conserved all year round, not just in the dry season. :tongue:

G

KTP: 19-26 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:14 pm 

I will sent you a email.

:thumbs_up:

And the water issue......we ask last December at Twee Rivieren and the guy at the camp tell us to fill up our tanks. May be somebody can go and learn about "gasvryheid".

So, you will rather see somebody die without water rather give him a liter water. Sjame on you! :roll: :roll:

in Afrikaans vriendelikheid en gasvryheid kos niks nie

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:17 pm 

PRWIN wrote:
Elize de Klerk wrote:
When next year?

By the way, you advertise your busines in your signature........and no problem.

:? :?

And after spending 12 nights at the camps ( expensive ones). What is the problem to use some water?