Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Best chances for booking accomodation
Unread postPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:39 pm 

Dear Forum-Members,

in the past, we booked our accomodation in Kgalagadi 11 months in advance via e-mail and always got the requested accomodation. But I heard of peaople who have not been succesful that way. Now I wonder if it is more secure to book online. We want to visit the Park again in May 2015 and I think bookings start on 2nd june. Can anyone give an advice what is the safest way to get the requested accomodation (in our case Grootkolk and Urikaruus that are the most difficult to get...).

Thanks in advance for your help!
Regards
Tanja

Post subject: Re: Best chances for booking accomodation
Unread postPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:05 pm 

Hi Tanja

One can only book accommodation 10 months in advance online. For the camps you are hoping to book (very popular and small camps) I do not think you should wait until July 2014 to make the booking online.

Telephone is the fastest way to secure a booking of popular camps; but you need to be able to call as the reservation offices open on the morning of 2 June. (7.30am UTC + 2 hours)

Your next best option will be to use email as you have done, but there is a risk you will not get the options you desire.

It is P A R T Y time!!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Tanja. You don't say where you live, but I will tell you what I have done in the past. If it will not work for you, then DB's suggestion will have to do.

I go to a Satellite Reservation Office - in my case Reservation House near Cresta, Johannesburg. The queue on the first booking day of the month (1st or the next working day) starts around 6.30 a.m. Shortly before 7.30 a.m. they open the door and one's booking can be loaded on the computer, ready for "switch-on" at 7.30 a.m. Twice now I have managed to get my preferred bookings for the Wilderness Camps. By the time I get home at 9.00 a.m., most of the accommodation has been fully booked.

If you look on the SANParks web page, you can find a list of Satellite Reservation offices - I believe there are branches in Pretoria and Cape Town, but I'm not sure where else.

Good luck!!

Satara 30 Nov - 3 Dec 2014
Lower Sabie 4 Dec 2014

Skukuza 5-8 Mar 2015

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:37 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
DinkyBird wrote:
Telephone is the fastest way to secure a booking of popular camps; but you need to be able to call as the reservation offices open on the morning of 2 June. (7.30am UTC + 2 hours)

Your next best option will be to use email as you have done, but there is a risk you will not get the options you desire.
right... for people who can't speak English... and more by phone... it's really not easy :?

I try every day for a possible cancellation (via E-mail)... but nothing till now :(

good luck :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:18 am 

Dear DinkyBird and Hippotragus,

thank you very much! I think I will try it via telephone on 2nd of june and hope it will work! As I live in Germany I can't go there personally...

Kind regards
Tanja

Unread postPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:22 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
When phoning I always use one of the satellite branches phone number ( Cape Town ) as they are not usually as busy and have always booked more or less what I wanted .

Unread postPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:13 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
TanniB wrote:
Dear DinkyBird and Hippotragus,

thank you very much! I think I will try it via telephone on 2nd of june and hope it will work! As I live in Germany I can't go there personally...

Kind regards
Tanja
I cross the fingers for you :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:01 pm 

OK, this morning I tried to reserve the accomodation for may 2015... It was very difficult, because in Cape town (where I tried first), the SANPARK consultant wasn't at the office at 7.30 and they told me to ring again 1-2 hours later. So I tried at Pretoria, where I had to wait several minutes. When speaking with the lady of SANPARKS at 7.45 Urikaruus, Grootkolk and Nossob were already fully booked :cry:
But I still have 10 months to go, so I hope we can still change and get what we want :pray:

Thanks again for your good advices!
Tanja

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:hmz: Ok, I have come to the conclusion that there has been a change!
IF I am not mistaken, the availability page we see on the website used to say 11 months in advance. (I am talking about normal phone bookings not online bookings.) It now says 12 months. If you look at ALL camps, not only the popular Grootkolk and Urikaruus, they ALL show either" fully booked or looking longer than 12 months in advance". It's not possible that not a campsite or unit available anywhere, unless some clubs have booked the entire park :doh: :doh: I don't think so! So, TannieB and Anne Marie, let's see what we hear here on the forum??
Seems we now need to wait till 1 July for Mays bookings? You may be lucky after all !! :wall:
I will make a call tomorrow and ask re this and post the answer I get here :thumbs_up:

Edit: After re-thinking this again it does not make sense what I said about the 12 months in advance as if we can only make bookings in July 14 for May 15 that makes it 10 months in advance :redface:
However, still very puzzling that niks, nada, nothing available anywhere for May 2015 :shock: Perhaps a technology hiccup with the computer system :hmz:

Last edited by Dreamer on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
TanniB wrote:
OK, this morning I tried to reserve the accomodation for may 2015... It was very difficult, because in Cape town (where I tried first), the SANPARK consultant wasn't at the office at 7.30 and they told me to ring again 1-2 hours later. So I tried at Pretoria, where I had to wait several minutes. When speaking with the lady of SANPARKS at 7.45 Urikaruus, Grootkolk and Nossob were already fully booked :cry:
But I still have 10 months to go, so I hope we can still change and get what we want :pray:

Thanks again for your good advices!
Tanja
poor TanniB :(
it's very frustrating... we seems to be the first and..nada... nothing at all :doh:
still search to exchange one night... every day I tried.. for about 6 months :lol:

right Dreamer, it seems your conclusion is good :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:36 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Tannib I suggest you book what they have NOW then over the next few months see if the accommodations come up .. and you might be lucky but In the mean time you will have accommodation in the Park .. just keep your eyes on the accommodation availability every day
Bonjour Anne-marie .. I am holding thumbs that you can change that accommodation . .if you need help just PM me

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:42 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Hugh wrote:
Tannib I suggest you book what they have NOW then over the next few months see if the accommodations come up .. and you might be lucky but In the mean time you will have accommodation in the Park .. just keep your eyes on the accommodation availability every day
Bonjour Anne-marie .. I am holding thumbs that you can change that accommodation . .if you need help just PM me
Bonsoir Hugh, thank you... I have an eye every morning and every afternoon.. well almost :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It was not possible to view availability for May online this morning or even tonight!
It has been reported to Sanparks by Matthys.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:26 am 

Online Bookings for May 2015 are open now... Still don't understand it...Urikaruus, Grootkolk and Kieliekrankie fully booked :(

So we keep our fingers crossed.

Kind regards
Tanja

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:38 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
TanniB,

Kieliekrankie has a few days with available units. ( I checked)

Grootkolk and Urikaruus must be booked fully. Keep looking.

50% deposit has to be made within one month, so some might come available and then the rest of reservation has to be paid two months before visit, and then there sometimes also become units available.