SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: From Windhoek to Mata Mata
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Adhara,

One important point to remember is the border post time. The border post closes at 16:30 SA time and in winter the clock should be turned back 1 hour, but you cannot rely on that. They south tend to stick to SA time as well as the Caprivi area.

You will also be required to shop for some food before entering for which you will require about 1 hour.

The dirt road section may take 3 hours plus 2,5 hour from Windhoek and 1 hour shopping. This adds up to 6,5 hours. To be at the Mata-Mata around 4 pm you need to leave Windhoek ~ 9 am at least and safely around 7 am just in case of a puncture and for refreshment stops.

Its possible to do in one go and you should not need to sleep over, but if you do not want to feel pressurised follow Lucas advice. There are some other lodges in the Godwana group at Stampriet and two places near the gate. I haven't stayed at any except at a B&B in Marienthal.

My plan is to travel from Outjo to Mata-Mata in one day, but I will not be in time and sleep outside the park.

I will also recommend Luca's route. Try to fill up as close to the park as possible. Fuel is cheaper in Namibia and you can save a few sents. The best is also to get only South African currency. Nam Rand cannot be used in SA but SA rand in Namibia.

Hope it helps and you will have a great time. If you need more info on what you allowed to take in you can read the thread on the MataMata border post. One item you will not be able to take in is wood.

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi: Getting there from Namibia
Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:22 pm 

Hi, this is my first post in this forum and I hope I'm posting in the right place...

July 1, three friends and myself are embarking on a 18-day Nam-Bot round trip through Mabuasehube, CKGR and Khaudum/Nyae Nyae. We're fairly familiar with driving and travel distances in Namibia, but Botswana is a new chapter for most of us (although two of us have visited the Delta and the northern parks before).

Our itinerary is Windhoek - Buitepos/Mamuno - Mabuasehube - Ghanzi - CKGR (Passarge Pan - Deception Pan - Sunday Pan) - Maun - Dobe border post - Tsumkwe - Windhoek.
Well be travelling in two well equipped Landcruiser 76s.

I wondered how long it takes us to drive from Mamuno to Mabuasehube Main Entrance? Is the main entrance on the East or the North side of the park? And what is the most efficient route from Mamuno to Mabua?

Should we turn right right after the border post and take the gravel road to Charles Hill, Kule and Ncojane or should we follow the A2 to Kang and then take off towards Hukuntsi and then drive south from there?

Our plan is to leave Windhoek early in the morning on July 1st, drive as far as possible (our driving stamina is good :wink:), camp along the way and reach Mabua sometime during the 2nd of July. Doable :pray: ?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:48 pm 

Hi Son Godin,

I want to be sure I understand you well :redface:

To enter KTP at Mata Mata at the end of june, even if I don't need to get a stamp on my passport because I will leave from the same place 6 days later, I have to go through namibian customs and therefore I have to be there before 3:30PM namibian time (or 4:30 PM SA time)

Right ? :roll:

Sorry to insist but this is very confusing to me...gates are said to be opened until 6pm, passports are not needed but still, you have to be here during customs "business hours" :hmz: :hmz: :hmz:

Thanks for your input to a confused rhino !

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:12 pm 

Adhara,

i have travelled from Windhoek to Mata Mata a couple of times.

It is an easy drive, as said before, leave Windhoek on the B1, turn left at the Road block just before Mariental and right in Stampriet, where the C15 (gravel) will lead you to Mata Mata.

I have stayed in the ***************** in the vicinity of Gochas.

It is a very nice place to stay the night and you will only have a two hrs drive (roundabout) to the Gate.

regards,

Denis

Last edited by Dotty on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
removed link (advertising)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WackoRhino wrote:
Hi Son Godin,

I want to be sure I understand you well :redface:

To enter KTP at Mata Mata at the end of june, even if I don't need to get a stamp on my passport because I will leave from the same place 6 days later, I have to go through namibian customs and therefore I have to be there before 3:30PM namibian time (or 4:30 PM SA time)

Right ? :roll:

Sorry to insist but this is very confusing to me...gates are said to be opened until 6pm, passports are not needed but still, you have to be here during customs "business hours" :hmz: :hmz: :hmz:

Thanks for your input to a confused rhino !

WackoRhino,

It is a border post like any other along the Namibian border where you get your passport stamp and allowed entry only during office hours. Even in the morning you cannot exit before 8 am. The only difference is that you do not need to make any road payments (it was already done when you entered Namibia or you are renting a vehicle from a Namibian company) or get your passport stamp if you will not exit KTP on the SA or Botswana side, but you can still not get through when the two gates are closed on SA and NAM side. I am not sure if some-one do man the gates after hours, because I have not tried to use the road after hours and only know in the morning you need to wait and can only enter after 8 am. As a South-African I need to stamp my passport and will only be allowed to enter between 8 am - 4:30 pm.

The normal border restrictions apply and they may ask to search your vehicle to check that you do not have any illegal goods and even braai wood cannot get through these gates without being confiscated.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:39 am 

Thank you Son Godin,

now it seems all clear to me :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 am 

Hi Son Godin

Thanks so much for your help.

Adhara

Post subject: Last namibian fuel station before Mata Mata
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:38 pm 

Hi everybody,

I have read in the forum that fuel is less expensive in Namibia than in SA, so it makes sense to fill up before entering KTP.
I will use the Mariental Stampriet Gochas route. Stampriet has a petrol station I believe, what about Gochas or any other place along this route ?

15 days and counting :D :D :D

Post subject: Re: Last namibian fuel station before Mata Mata
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:52 am 

I am also wondering about this.

I will be hunting in Koes (120km from the gate) for a few days and will then enter the park at Mata Mata

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:55 pm 

Hi,
There is one in Gochas ; I am not sure but I think it is the last one before Mata Mata.
Have a look here : http://tracks4africa.co.za/maps/africa/
yvo

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there WackoRhino and Gryskat, I have travelled both those routes (Koes and Stampriet), the Stampriet Gochas route as recently as April this year! From Stampriet the last petrol station is indeed Gochas, but what a beautiful (and very good) gravel road this is! From Koes (with an "umlaut" on the "e"), the last petrol station is indeed Koes! Enjoy your respective trips! FMJ

DO NOT FORGET:
Predators at Picnic Sites, Waterholes and Toilets in KTP!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:02 pm 

yvo wrote:
Hi,
There is one in Gochas ; I am not sure but I think it is the last one before Mata Mata.
Have a look here : http://tracks4africa.co.za/maps/africa/
yvo

I confirm: the one in Gochas is the last.
Luca.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:43 am 

Thanks everyone for the very useful and quick info :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Kgalagadi (from Namibia)
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:20 pm 

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to fit in Kgalagadi into the last days of our Namibia Camping trip. We would like to spend 3 nights and the trip would be brilliant if we see Cheetahs and Lions.

We're coming from Keetmanshoop and will enter via Mata Mata.
Nossob is available for the first night only (Seems way to far from Keetmanshoop).
Twee rivieren is free for 3 nights
Mata Mata is available for the last 2 nights.

Would we make it from Keetmanshoop to Twee rivieren in 1 day?
Should we stay for 3 nights in twee rivieren or fit in Mata Mata as well.

Any help would be welcome

Thanx,

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi (from Namibia)
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:36 pm 

Try 2R for 1 day and Mata Mata for the rest.

We saw lots of game on the lower Nossob river and close to Mata Mata.

PS: Keetmans- Nossob is a very long drive (time wise)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next