Skip to Content

Additional units for Urikaruus and Kieliekrankie.

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld

Moderator: hilda

enrico

Additional units for Urikaruus and Kieliekrankie.

Unread postby enrico » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:57 pm

A tender to build additional units at Urikaruus and Kieliekrankie has been awarded.
Please see http://www.sanparks.org/docs/groups_ten ... 4-2015.pdf

Please could KTP Sanparks management or some other informed party indicate when this building work will commence and the duration of the contract for each of Urikaruus and Kieliekrankie.

In most instances these extremely popular camps are booked out a year in advance and a definite indication should be given timeously on the KTP webpage,in order for guests to tailor their bookings accordingly.

Hope the link works now.

Otherwise look under tenders awarded for 2014/15 on the Sanparks webpage.
Last edited by enrico on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mez

Re: Additional units for Urikaruus and Kieliekrankie.

Unread postby Mez » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:05 pm

Hi enrico,
Very interesting news! Unfortunately the link you posted doesn't seem to work though.
Mez
Kgalagadi 2015:
June 29th & 30th Twee Rivieren
July 1st & 2nd Mata Mata
3rd & 4th Urikaruus
5th & 6th Nossob
7th Kieliekrankie

Addo:
July 9th-14th (Main camp)

Counting down already!!!

penolva

Unread postby penolva » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:29 pm

That's really interesting news, thanks for the link. Would be good to know when the work is going to be started/completed. We hope they do some repairs to the showers at Urikaruus :wink: nearly fell through the floor of the shower in unit number 4 this year, and a previous client had actually fallen through the floor beside the bed and the outside balcony which had to be repaired while we were there. :shock: Pen

Jo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Jo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:23 am

Link is now working Enrico - thanks.

Interesting reading....wonder if the whole camp will be closed while they do the building....done quicker and no disruption of guests staying there.....vs the financial loss of a closed camp :hmz:

I see a few lines up there is the tender for phase 3 upgrade of the Nossob road.....

enrico

Unread postby enrico » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi Mez/Pen/Jo.

I also wonder how Sanparks will go about doing the work.
Will just have to wait and see if they announce anything.

Personally I would prefer to stay elsewhere if they keep the camp open.
Hopefully the work will be done quickly as I seriously need my bi-annual visits to Uri.
Hence my question

My experience is that the units at Uri need refurbishment.
Some cosmetic things like new outside tables,kettles and gas cookers have been installed but the very high occupancy rate seems to prevent actual maintenance.

That board in no 4's shower has been an accident waiting to happen. :big_eyes:
Hope it has now been fixed.
Perhaps Sanparks will close Uri during construction and do some much needed maintenance. :hmz:

Glad to see that the Nossob road is being attended to again.
Skiddy corner often remains blocked for days after a downpour.

Not that I mind driving the Bots road. :thumbs_up:

Jo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Jo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:58 pm

Agreed Enrico....Urikaruus is definitely in need of some maintenance. While we were sitting by the fire at our last visit we actually made a list of things that needed upkeep....mental list unfortunately, but it included the shower floors as you mentioned, but also the canvas windows on the doors, Velcro on the windows is all worn, most of the gates leading down into the parking area need new hinges (the poor gates are saging on the hinges).....and the biggest job....re varnishing all the wood work - all looking decidedly worn! We were actually joking about organizing a volunteer workforce from the forums to do the maintenance' with free accommodation there for a week or 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

penolva

Unread postby penolva » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:11 pm

Great idea Jo, count us in :dance: We also stayed in number 4 and the shower was really really bad, this was in March this year. Literally breaking up. Someone had also 'fallen through' the floor beside the bed and balcony doors and it was mended during our much needed siesta at 1pm in 40+ degree heat. I can only imagine being there with the new build going on. More information on time scale needed as we would avoid going during works.

What's this I see about luxury camping sites at Gharagab? :big_eyes: hope this isn't the start of something that will spoil the unique wilderness.

Jonkers

Unread postby Jonkers » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:29 pm

I would definitely NOT stay in a wilderness camp during renovations and expansions. If Sanparks decided to do this while accommodating guests in a wilderness camp they must let them know beforehand. Then the choice is up to the paying (can't complain) customer or cancel and refund.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:24 pm

I agree with Jonkers, but from what I know, SANParks does not extend such courtesty to its customers. :twisted: I have read of several visitors who had unpleasant experiences at Grootkolk during unannounced rennovations there some years ago. And I've twice had stays at Punda Maria in KNP spoiled by rennovations noise there. When I wrote to SANParks and suggested that visitors should be given the option of either a discount or to change camps, I received no reply. I doubt that anything will change. :wall:
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town

Russ

Unread postby Russ » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:28 pm

hi all,

its been along time since my last post but this one is of great interest, maintenance has been lacking but we all want our fix of wilderness camps when we visit the parks so something will have to give.....hopefully not the shower floor.
my main question/concern is when will the tender process be complete? only then will anyone commit to a program/timeline of works newbuild and/or refurbishment works, sorry I do this for a living, as we all know these places get booked as soon as they become available, I myself will be waiting by the telephone at 6am (UK time) on 1st June for my May 2016 KTP fix, if I book a stay at Urikaruus then get told months later about the building works the likelihood of finding alternative accommodation in another wilderness camp very unlikely. therefore I hope they give a 'years' notice so as to warn everyone not just when you have already booked.

Russ
my mind and body may be in england my soul is in africa

Nina!

Unread postby Nina! » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:02 pm

I just hope they won't add too many units.
I love it that the wilderness camps are so small and quiet, even though it means that it's difficult to book them.

Katja
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Katja » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:41 pm

Nina! wrote:I just hope they won't add too many units.

During my last stay in KTP one of the camp attendants told me:
- One new unit at Urikaruus - a 'honeymoon' unit next to no. 1
- The camp attendant's unit at Kieliekrankie will be converted to a unit for guests. A new unit for the camp attendant will be built on the other side of the car park.

This was in December last year, so I don't know if this information is still up to date.
KTP: November 2014
KNP: March 2015

penolva

Unread postby penolva » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:07 pm

Very interesting, if its done well it might not detract from the wilderness experience. Does anyone know if any improvements have been made at Grootkolk. We have three nights next February and I can see it might get very hot! Thanks Pen

barryels
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby barryels » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:31 pm

Dear All,

Just a few points of interest that we should take into account in this instance:

1. The only indication of the link that is referred to in the first post are Bids/contracts that was awarded during the 2014/2015. This is formal approval that the process can be started for which the bid is awarded towards and not that work will start immediately.

2. The first phase in any building process is a Formal site hand-over for the building to commence, which includes the approval of health and safety plan.

Although the documentation for the site hand-over was submitted, approval of the health and safety plan is not yet approved.

It is my believe that as soon as approval for the formal site hand-over is obtained the process and dates for building to commence will be officially announced.
Always be humble and understanding
Join the VHR Fundraising project: VHR Prestige Golf Day 2015

gjorgi

Unread postby gjorgi » Wed May 27, 2015 8:43 am

Hi everyone,

Any news yet about this? Maybe the mods can send it so the relevant person(s) so that we can get some idea?

Return to “Arid Parks”