Skip to Content

Nossob camping advice

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld

Moderator: hilda

Nimrod

Nossob camping advice

Unread postby Nimrod » Mon May 04, 2015 4:07 pm

Ive booked a campsite with power for April 2016. Will it be big enough for 3 couples? Each with their own tent, gazebo etc?
Also does Nossob have a shop/ restaurant? For water, beer , food etc? How are the bathroom?

Blackie

Re: Nossob camping advice

Unread postby Blackie » Tue May 05, 2015 7:44 am

It will be a tight squeeze if you are lucky, to get 3 couples, plus their tents and gazebos and vehicles onto one campsite.

You will no doubt encroached onto your neighbour's site which could result in friction.

Rather book 2 campsites and pay the extra for the additional couple.

Blackie.
March/April 2013: Frontier Parks here we come!

Jonkers

Unread postby Jonkers » Tue May 05, 2015 10:36 am

I agree with Blackie, give yourselves some space ! (and your neighbours)

Nimrod

Unread postby Nimrod » Tue May 05, 2015 11:08 am

Thanx Blackie and Jonkers

I just called and Nossob is all ready fully booked for that last week in April 2016. So we will just have to do with 1 camp site only. We will have to squeeze is suppose. I just thought that Nossob has big sites. Does any one know the exact size?

Shidzidzii
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Shidzidzii » Wed May 06, 2015 4:50 pm

will 3 couples mean 3 vehicles?
if you have 1 campsite it means one powered vehicle and it's occupants and a towed trailer or caravan.
additional vehicles are allowed only under exceptional circumstances eg. as a towed day-cruiser behind a motorhome.

jb72

Unread postby jb72 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:13 am

Only the sites at the top end of the camp (closest to the pool) are demarcated with poles, and even they are fairly big. IMO you can easily fit 3 two-man tents on them. You might have to share a gazebo or two. The other sites especially the ones at the south end of camp are not demarcated and there is loads of space. I don't think there will be any issues if you opt for one of these sites. Ablutions are fine :thumbs_up:

No restaurant at Nossob, but the shop is usually well stocked regarding drinks (alcoholic and non), ice and wood. Don't think any seasoned camper needs more that that.... :D The shop can be pricey, but with good reason. I would not count on the shop for buying meat.

I think you will have a great time !

George_Brits

Unread postby George_Brits » Wed May 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Agreed, Nossob stocks the bare necessities, but if you are looking to buy some meat, I would suggest you drive to Mata-mata and then go through the Namibia border to the Kalaharifarmstall, its about 14km's into Namibia or else you can go to the Sitza farmstall within walking distance of the borderpost. Their meat prices are cheap and the quality is excellent!!!
"all things wild and wonderful all creatures great and small"

Shidzidzii
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Shidzidzii » Sat May 16, 2015 6:19 am

Going through Mata Mata into Namibia for shopping 14km away will you need to do full border formalities ?

Nimrod

Unread postby Nimrod » Fri May 22, 2015 2:01 pm

Hi Shidzidzi

I didnt know that??? I could only book one campsite. We r 3 couples. 1 from stellenbosch, 1 from Nelspruit and 1 from PTA , so yes 3 vehicles. All i saw was 6 people max. Please advise.

Tx

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Fri May 22, 2015 2:27 pm

George_Brits wrote:Agreed, Nossob stocks the bare necessities, but if you are looking to buy some meat, I would suggest you drive to Mata-mata and then go through the Namibia border to the Kalaharifarmstall, its about 14km's into Namibia or else you can go to the Sitza farmstall within walking distance of the borderpost. Their meat prices are cheap and the quality is excellent!!!

The rules changed a bit, you can't just walk over to the farm stall anymore, you need to have your passport stamped in TR before you can go to the Farm stall.

Shidzidzii wrote:Going through Mata Mata into Namibia for shopping 14km away will you need to do full border formalities ?

Yes you need to do full border formalities in TR.

Nimrod wrote:Hi Shidzidzi

I didnt know that??? I could only book one campsite. We r 3 couples. 1 from stellenbosch, 1 from Nelspruit and 1 from PTA , so yes 3 vehicles. All i saw was 6 people max. Please advise.

Tx

There is parking space under shade cloth at the entrance gate, just ask whether you could park one of the vehicles there during the night.

Enjoy your trip!! :thumbs_up:
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Son godin » Fri May 22, 2015 9:56 pm

Nimrod wrote:Hi Shidzidzi

Tx

Hi Nimrod,

You will have a problem with 3 vehicles per camps site if you want to camp on the sites with power. The three tents will be fine and only one power point can also be a problem if you have to run 3 fridges unless you bring a multi-plug along. Remember to bring the blue plug fitting for camping power used by most caravan parks.

I've add a pic below so that you can get an idea of the size. Certain sites are much smaller and you may only fit the tents onto it while others only one neighbouring site and in a circle not clearly defining the end and start of the site. Try to get there early to get one of the larger sites if some-one moved out that morning.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Son godin » Fri May 22, 2015 10:13 pm

Just want to add that you need to choose a site that is not in a hollow if you're going to use tents. This April the Nossob nearly flowed and a tent can become a floating boat when it rains hard. Nice shade near kitchen, but not good if you expect any rain to fall. That's the sites to the right of my pic.

Great below if you want to visit the camp virtual with a 360 view

http://www.360cities.net/image/camping-at-nossob-rest-camp-south-africa

Shidzidzii
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Shidzidzii » Sun May 24, 2015 1:20 pm

Thanks for the advise to have passport stamped before going to Mata Mata and then going out for some Namibian meat.

Nimrod

Unread postby Nimrod » Mon May 25, 2015 7:50 am

Thanx all. Looking forward to 7 nights in Nossob. Total relaxation!!!

Nimrod

Unread postby Nimrod » Mon May 25, 2015 7:52 am

Thanx all. Looking forward to 7 nights in Nossob. Total relaxation!!!

Return to “Arid Parks”