Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Goodbye and thank you to Kgalagadi Guru
Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:41 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It is with a heavy heart that I post this but I know that all you regular KTP visitors would like to know that our KG is leaving our beloved KTP for pastures new .

During his time there, KG has been an integral part of KTP – both on the Forum as well as in all the hard work he did behind the scenes in our wonderful park and all the things he believed in and fought so passionately for :

the Clothing Drive for the local communities that has helped not only the SA communites surrounding the park, but also those on the Botswana side and has brought a bit of comfort to those less fortunate than ourselves …
the Christmas present drive over the past 3 years – bringing so much joy to hundreds of children, many of whom would never have had a Christmas present or a Christmas party before …
the restarting of the Tsammaland school @ Twee Rivieren with Vanessa who has worked tirelessly to ensure that the school is a thriving happy place for the staff children and one that will carry on after they have left ….
the amazing camera traps that took up so very many hours of his free time but that brought us all on the Forum so much pleasure ….
the absolutely amazing Cricket at Kgalagadi last year that those of us who were there will never forget - and neither will the community of Welkom where Griqua cricket is still involved with cricket coaching for the school children – what an amazing legacy you have left KG !

Jannie had a huge heart for the local communities – he really took SANPark’s Mission and Vison of “Connecting to Society “ seriously and made it HIS mission to do everything he could to help the community in any way he could … His involvement with the local communities that surround the park and especially with Welkom will be hugely missed by everyone there – they truly are losing not only a champion but also a friend. He will also be sorely missed by everyone he worked with who knew that he was always there for them – day or night - he was on duty 24/7 ... wether it was going out in the middle of the night to help look for lost tourists or helping dig cars out of the mud in heavy rain or redirecting the millionth tourist who walked into office looking for the shop or waking up early on a Saturday morning to come help a friend with an alarm on a Landy that wouldn't stop :wink: - nothing was too much trouble for him and everything was done with a smile because that is just who he is ...

I know that all of you who met him and got to know him as a friend would like to join me in wishing Jannie and his family all the very best with their new adventures – it is a huge loss for not only the Kgalagadi but also for SANParks as well … and just to say a massive THANK YOU to you and your family – for everything you have done during your time there – for us and for KTP and for the community .. we will miss you so much …

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Post subject: Re: Goodbye and thank you to Kgalagadi Guru
Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:59 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Jannie,

Thank you for the few months we could work together on the forums :thumbs_up: .

Wishing you and your family all the very best with your new adventures.

I hope that we will still see you on the forums :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you so much for all what you did Jannie :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kgalagadi TP will be a little bit different from now on and I believe 'mites from so different countries will feel the same.
We wish you all the best to you and to your family for your new challenges :thumbs_up:
Take care KG and thanks again :D

2014:
Golden Gate july 25th-27th,
Cambedoo july 30th-31th,
MZNP august 1st-4th,
Addo august 5-8th,
Tsitsikamma Storms River Mouth august 9th-11th ,Ebb and Flow : 12th-15th
Bontebok:16-17th
Agulhas:18th

2015 : KTP booked

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:cry: :( Jannie Thank you for everything you did for us the tourists, the local community, SANPARKS and
co- employees. One of the most passionate persons that I had ever met. Passionate about life, nature and people. We as Kgalagadi tourists will surely miss you at KTP. Vanessa thank you for all your support and hard work. :gflower: :k

All the best for the future. You are the best by far :thumbs_up:

Kgalagadi greetings

SJ

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:23 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Sad news, but for all of us there is always a time to come and a time to go. :(

Thank you for all your hard work and dedication Jannie! You will definitely be missed in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park!

All the best to you and your family for the future! :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:27 pm 

I've only been on the forum a few weeks and sadly not yet been to KTP but I've already read LOADS of Kgalagadi Guru's posts and I was really looking forward to meeting him in person during the trip that I haven't even booked yet. What an incredible legacy to be leaving behind. I wish him the very best for the future and am sure that a lot of the great things he has begun will continue.

3rd & 4th Urikaruus
5th & 6th Nossob
7th Kieliekrankie

Addo:
July 9th-14th (Main camp)

Counting down already!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:26 pm 
Guru
Guru

Afternoon All,

It surely is with a saddened heart that I read this message but in the same time very excited. It is sad to leave the people, community and friends behind which I have made during my (almost) 4 years in KTP and also whom I so deeply fell in love with. The life's lessons I have learned from the people and the sharing my kids have learned in the community is embedded in their minds and I know they will not ever forget what they have seen and learnt.

It is also with a happy heart that I say I WILL NOT FORGET the people of the Kalahari and now will have much more freedom in helping them in their needs, and I know there are many mites which feel the same and who will not forget the need of the community and who will still be involved in giving a helping hand.

There are a few projects which we will be working on - so keep an eye on the FB page 'Kgalagadi Sightings'.

It has been a privilege to have met so many of you and form such strong friendships which will be everlasting, the new venture my family and I are venturing into is a passion of mine and will enable me to again give a helping hand to those in need (especially the KTP and surrounding communities.

Heartfelt THANKS to ALL of you for your love and assistance during our time here.

KG (Jan Kriel)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jan and Vanessa, you're very special people to forumites and the local community alike and deserve a huge thankyou for your hard work and commitment over the last four years.

I was one of the very lucky folk who were at the cricket. It was an amazing event and will remain one of our best South African memories.

Very best wishes to you and your family for the future.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

All the best, Jannie, as you and your family embark on your new ventures.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

@Jannie: I am sad to hear that you are leaving SANParks. :(

You placed the Arid region on the map called "SANParks.org" - doing Marketing, Communications, PR, PLUS all your work on the ground - impeccably so. You leaving is a great loss to our organization.

Thank you for everything you have done over the years online, and also for the most memorable, well hosted and executed Cricket event in the past 8 years.

We wish you, and your family, all the health, happiness and success in the future.

Best wishes,

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Absolutely Jannie - there are MANY of us who all feel the same way you do and are as passionate about giving back to the community as you are - you are NOT ALONE and we will continue to help in any way that we can ...

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:07 pm 
Guru
Guru

Thanks for the best wishes.

@Granjan, i agree 100% on the cricket 2013. It was and will always be the best event ever which not only raised the most money through donations (almost R 320 000, 00) and also a year after the event still have a snow ball effect e.g. Griqua cricket is here for 5 days providing training with KFC Mini Cricket to the kids and a Coaching course for the adults, CSA (Cricket South Africa & KFC) donated equipment to the school today.

If that was not enough VUSWA Fleet Service donated (also today) and received it 10 Computers and 3 printers to the Welcom school - now how is that for 'Connecting to Society.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:17 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2013)
All the very best to you and your family Jannie. I wish you all the success and happiness you wish yourself.

Hope you pop in here from time to time.

:gflower: :k

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:59 pm 

Thank you ! and yes you have done marvelous organizing the cricket with even now (after a year) gifts for those who have less
all the best

Last edited by Jonkers on Fri May 30, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jan en Vanessa

Dit is regtig hartseer nuus! Maar wens julle as gesin net die beste toe.

Leana (Karoo)