Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Polentswa / Rooiputs Access
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:11 am 

Happy Monday all!

Can someone please advise whether it is necessary/compulsary to have a 4x4 when accessing Polentswa or Rooiputs campsites? We currently have a 2x4 booked (x-trail or similar), and are considering adding one or both of these camps to our itinerary for early Nov, just to really get away from it all!

Thanks in advance :)

Post subject: Re: Polentswa / Rooiputs Access
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:54 pm 

Ceejay a 2x4 for rooiputs would be fine. Have been to rooiputs a few times with a 2x4. Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:23 pm 

Hi Ceejay
I have an X-Trail myself and have had no problems at Rooiputs. Friends have also been in 2x4's without hassles. The access road to the campsites is short, less than a kilometre with only a small sandy patch. Don't book campsite 5 as this is the only one that could pose a problem. If you're REALLY worried about a bit of sand driving, book sites 1 or 2 which you could probably access in a normal sedan. No need to fret...just enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:16 pm 

Great, thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. How does the campsite compare with the South African equivalent in ktp?

Also, does anyone have any experience with Polentswa with a 2x4? Is it the same deal as Rooiputs? Just take it easy and we'll be fine?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ceejay,

The 2,4 km to Polentswa can be a problem in December after the first rains, but I think you will be fairly safe to drive the very bumpy section in a 2x4 in November.

The sandy patch at Rooiputs is quite short and you should be fine unless you are towing an off-road caravan. Try to get no 1-4. No 4 is right at the end of the road and share a shower and pit toilet with No 3. It can we quite windy at No 4, but you will have less visitors bothering you unless the king is sharing your A-frame with you as what we have experienced. My choice will be No3.

There are only 3 campsites at Polentswa and the one I will avoid is no 3. The road to the lodge runs below this camp site.

The camp sites on Bostwana side differ significantly from the traditional camp like Nossob:
1. No fence around camp and you can find lions in your campsite, under the A-frame or shower.
2. Don't bargain on getting water - bring your own water to shower. Definitely no water at Polentswa.
3. No shops or fuel
4. No reception office (only at entry point at Twee rivieren)
5. Ten times less people in the camp site
6. No generator or lights at night
7. Not right next to your neighbour's tent.
8. Walking distance from camp to toilet to far to be safe, unless you can out run a lion. At Polentswa you are closer.

I might have missed a few, but I think you get the idea of a very small and quiet camp with no kids running around compare to Nossob / TR / Mata-Mata. It can be very sandy and windy and not everyone's cup of tea, but after one visit I will book again. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:41 pm 

Thanks for the info son godin.

They both sound like paradise to me! I'll get on to dwnp tomorrow to see if anything is available.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:33 pm 

Location: England, previously Rietvlei, Natal - hankering to be back in KTP
Hi, everyone - I am seeking advice for Polentswa camp. In 2016, we will (hopefully)be touring Namibia and KTP so will be entering KTP at Mata-Mata. We will be driving a 4x4 campervan. We do our bookings on-line from the UK, so all KTP campsites will have been paid for by card. Now for the questions -

Is it possible to camp at Polentswa if you only have one vehicle? I read somewhere that you have to have two vehicles.

Can we book on-line through SanParks, although I very much doubt this is possible? And can we book on-line through the Botswana booking office?

We will be staying at Nossob as well, so our itinerary should be Mata-Mata, Nossob, Polentswa?

We are not sure at the moment if we will be going out through TR or Mata-Mata, so what are the border requirements for going to Polentswa?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. It is never too early to start planning your dreams!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi expat,

I can answer a few of your questions:

You can camp at Polentswa with one vehicle, but you will not be able to do the Polentswa Trail.

You can not book for Botswana on-line via SANParks or through their website either. Only way is phone and email request to the Gaborone office.

Quote:
Gaborone Reservations Office
PO Box 131
Gaborone
Botswana
Tel: (+267) 3180774 or 3971405

Fax: (+267) 3180775 / 393 2205 / 3912354

Email: dwnp@gov.bw

or

Email: dwnp.parrogabs@gov.bw

Your order of booking will be fine, but include another stop at Mata-Mata when exiting back to Namibia. I won't recommend exiting KTP through Botswana, because if you do get stuck you may not find help quickly and can easily wait for days before help arrives.

When you enter the park through Namibia you still remain technically in Namibia and the only passport control is at Twee Rivieren to exit to RSA or Botswana. My understanding is that you won't be required to get your passport stamp there if you are returning to Namibia, but I have only exit at Twee-rivieren after entering at Mata-Mata and not 100 % sure.

Although you will be in Botswana when staying over at Polentswa campsite it is not seen as exiting the park and no passport stamp required to get to Polentswa campsite. If you however want to exit at Kaa gate you need to declare your arrival into Botswana at Twee-rivieren or you will be send back from Kaa gate to get your documents done.

Are you still a South-African passport holder or do you have a passport from a different country? I am not sure about Visa and what is the requirements for your country when arriving in Namibia. South Africans do not require a Visa and only passport valid for 6 months after arrival date. If you have any children in your party you will need an unabridged birth certificate that stipulates the parents ID numbers for each child plus passports. This is a new rule that will be introduce in Sept / October this year by RSA HA.

The shortest route from Namibia into KTP is via Mata-Mata unless you are visiting the southern part and you want to remain on tar roads you can enter at Ariamvlei/Nakop. This route will require border crossing into RSA with the full cost of 3rd party and road funds. You might not be require to pay it when entering and exiting at Mata-Mata and only if you exit KTP through Kaa gate, Mabua or TR.

I am also planning a trip to Namibia in 2016, but may take the Botswana route from SA and back. You can PM me if you would like to share your plans on the Namibia trip and any question related to Namibia. I've been there 5 times already, but one can always learn about a few new places and tips, because nothing stay unchanged in this world.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:39 pm 

Location: England, previously Rietvlei, Natal - hankering to be back in KTP
Thanks a lot, Son godin! A heap of information to help with our plans. We are British Passport holders and as such do not need a visa for Namibia. We did not intend to do the trail, just have heard so much about the camping at Polentswa that we are considering our options for a short stay there. No children (we are old fogies now!) and at the moment plan to enter KTP through Mata Mata. We will probably exit that way as well as we have to return the campervan to Windhoek and we fly home from there.

To be honest this is all still in the air, but it is exciting to make plans. We also have to get into gear to do all our KTP booking next year. Do you have any idea when the booking for Polentswa opens? Is it as far ahead as KTP?

We used to live in SA and went to KTP and Namibia often, back in the old days when we used to have Nossob all to ourselves and we were pulling a tiny caravan behind a Land Cruiser! Can you believe that? As I am retiring next August, our 2016 trip will be our last, so we want to make the most of it.

Thanks again for your help and advice. Maybe we will see you around! :clap: