Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: When things go wrong!!! They go horribly wrong!!
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:59 am 
Guru
Guru

Morning All,

The person who was caught on the Leeudrill 4x4 Trail drove the trail hoping he would get away with it; he had NO booking or permit to drive the route. He got stuck and spend the night in his vehicle.

When SANParks came to hear about the incident we immediately went out looking for him in the camp, once he was found he was summoned to report to the section rangers office where he was issued two fines. The guests admitted that he wasn’t allowed on the route and he took a chance.

It was a South African Tourist.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
bruce mitchell wrote:
unbelievable - was he a local south african or an overseas tourist. if he was local i cannot believe someone can be so stupid!!

But if he was an overseas tourist, you could?!?!!! :whistle: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

By no measure do I want to defend what the guy did, but since the first stretch of the 4x4 loop is a solid jeep track, one may just think it is doable in a 4x2. There are maybe three dunes in the middle section where things gets a bit more tricky - about 7km from the start. From the spin-holes close to the crests of those dunes, I could see some people battled to get up there - which mystifies me 'cause any 4x4 with the correct tyre pressures should have no difficulty with the route.

You will always have those who wants to take chances, and thus management would have to try and cater for them in some way. So it would have been good if there was a more difficult section visible form the R360 - maybe a sand trap of some sort just off the R360. It will discourage a 4x2 driver from taking a chance and if he still goes for it, he will get bogged down within visible range from the tourist route, preventing all the issues of going to look for him if he gets bogged down out of visible range and create less damage to the more difficult section of the route. It will also help prevent the situation where a guy walks the odd 7 km back to the main route to seek assistance.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:16 pm 
Guru
Guru

Or...just adhere to the rules of the park "4x4 only"

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Couldn't agree more KG but you will always have rule breakers around and if one can influence there deeds / decisions in some way it may be worthwhile considering.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:41 pm 
Guru
Guru

I hear what you say and agree, but if guests just adhere to the rules we would not have to make sand traps all over. If you have a look at the road which is closed from Rooiputs towards Kij Kij how many tracks have been made where vehicles drove off the road from the Botswana road towards the closed road.......

We now have the section ranger sitting on that road and waiting for the guests who breaks that rule.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
If you have a look at the road which is closed from Rooiputs towards Kij Kij how many tracks have been made where vehicles drove off the road from the Botswana road towards the closed road.......

...and here's another one:

Taken on 03 ‎October ‎2011, ‏‎11:53:04 AM

We were on our way from Rooiputs to Kij Kij when I saw this vehicle on the road under construction on the SA side. On our way back from Kij Kij to Rooiputs I took this photo on the Botswana side - so he crossed the field twice - once into SA and again to get back to the Bots side.

On Tuesday 04 October a guy got stuck in the Rooiputs camp - about 50 meters from site 1. After some time I could see he was properly bogged down and went to assit him. It was a 4x2 bakkie with no load in the back, towing a heavy trailer. So despite the sign at the entrance of Rooiputs that says 4x4 only he pushed through. His vehicle setup (apart from a foam mattress, having no load on the rear axle and towing a heavy trailer) indicated he was not experienced. Turned out they were looking for site 5, when I indicated to them where it was, the missus immediately started walking there, cutting across the 200m + open veld to site 5 :big_eyes: .

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
granjan wrote:
Quote:
bruce mitchell wrote:
unbelievable - was he a local south african or an overseas tourist. if he was local i cannot believe someone can be so stupid!!

But if he was an overseas tourist, you could?!?!!! :whistle: :whistle:

Not really. We have a culture in SA of not obeying the rules. I am often backchated and sworn at when I cross at intersections and the idiots' cars are across my 'lines' and into the intersection.

In SA, a yellow line means "Don't park here", and a red line means "We REALLY mean it! Don't park here!".

I totally disagree WK, if it says 4x4 only that means somewhere along an easy looking trail it gets more challenging. Not rocket science.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Not rocket science.

@BB that is not the point. Simple example: We live in a quiet little holiday town. Despite very clear speed restrictions, one kid on a bicycle was hit by a speeding car and one Duiker was killed - also by a speeding car, right in front of our residence. It does not take any intelligence to understand why you shouldn't speed in a build-up area - yet people do it. Now after much complaining did the town council install speed humps - problem solved. Rules are there for those who want to obey it. The rest will still do what they want.

I'm not saying one should create sand traps all over, but since Leeuwdril is very close to TR and since it is a convenient shortcut to the Mata Mata road, many culprits may decide to nip through there quickly (and avoid paying R180 to do the route). Creating a sand trap in a desert area is like making ice in the antarctic - shouldn't be to difficult. Just a suggestion! :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:49 pm 

Saw the vehicle tracks between the SA road and Botswana road KG referred to. At the Kij Kij waterhole 2 lions were lying in the shade about 30 m from the waterhole.There was vehicle tracks of the road to about 5 meters from them.Took some pictures,will attempt to post them.What is the easiest way to (layman terms) to do this?

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Div :D Have a look here and scroll down There are some good tutorials there..

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:54 pm 

Thanks Dotty!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:17 pm 

Hallo Everybody...

We have stayed at Rooiputs in June at number 6,i must admit i do walk around in the camp(but not that far).But i got a hit of realization when i saw lion/leopard tracks crossing mine just a few hours later and we were at camp all day :hmz:

But the best was while we were sitting around the fire the morning we had to pack up, my father heard a silent humffff sound and just looked up and straight down the 100m road a huge male lion came walking up and walked through the camp...the exact spot i walked on 2 days before... :tongue:

BG
:D

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Point taken WK.

Maybe 'stronger' warning signs at the start would help.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:45 am 

So how about an electronic boom gate with those spikes at the bottom, solar powered of course. When paying for the Leeuwdril route, you get a one-time accessible pin code you type in on a key pad to gain access to the route... :twisted:

Sorry... The engineer in me got carried away... :whistle:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next