Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fastest road CT to 2R
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:roll: Our first trip, December a few years ago, went via Springbok.........Our Bakkie took some strain through Poffadder ...Temp outside was outta the ballpark (in the 40's) and I think SO was pushing the speed too hard .......but all good in the end.......However next trip we went via Calvinia etc......and will prob always go this route from CT! Just our preference!
:thumbs_up: Have to agree with Blackie though, if you do go via Springbok - stay over at Augrabies.

However, having said all that, on our next trip we will be going home via Springbok because we are stopping over at Namaqua NP (Our first visit) on our way back. :dance:

Post subject: Cape Town to Kgalagadi.
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:14 am 

We will be driving up to the Kgalagadi next week. Could anyone that has driven that route recently let me know the delays due to road works in the Citrusdal Clanwilliam areas are like. How long are they, how much will it delay travel?

Post subject: Re: Cape Town to Kgalagadi.
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:54 pm 

Hi there,

This is always a difficult one . . . even though I know that part of the route
quite well.

The bottom line is . . . the earlier you leave Cape Town, to arrive at
the Citrusdal/Clanwilliam Stop-and-Go's . . . the shorter the queues will be.
Should you therefore plan to drive the 1049 KMS to Twee Rivieren in one
day . . . you would possibly leave CT at about 05h00 . . . . giving you a
good chance to be at the Klawer Wimpey for that first coffee and breakfast
(and coffee again !) at the latest 08h30.

From Klawer its another 800kms on flat road . . . except for the
van Rhyns pass.

(we always make this trip in two laid-back days . . . making a small fire next
to the road, in the middle of nowhere, north of Calvinia . . . and with a
stop-over at Kenhardt . . . a cold beer in the pub with some of the local farmers
on a late Friday afternoon . . . all this, for the purpose getting into the
spirit . . . and making that all important mindshift)

. . . with the red sand in my shoes . . I'll always return

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Those stop starts are a lottery as far as time goes, but Red Dune is correct. The less traffic, the quicker you are likely to get through.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:06 pm 

I have been over the pass 5 times since the works started.....only had to stop 3 times :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: And never for more than 5 min.

So it depends on your luck and if it is a Friday you might sit a bit looooooong.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:09 pm 

I agree with Reddune, it is rather a 2 days relaxed drive. To do it in 1 day with the possible road works delays will be pushing it and placing you under unnecessary stress. When we were up there in May there were still lots of roadworks in Kenhardt as well as stop 'n go's due to the floods in Jan. These might however be done by now.

We stayed over between Kenhardt and Upington, which left us with a nice relaxed drive the following day, stopping at Upington to top up the necessary.

Blackie.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:09 pm 

Thank you to all who answered. I will make sure we leave early so that the delays are shorter. This time we are planning to drive up in one day but it makes sense to take it over 2 days. We were there last in February and was wondering if they had completed the road works... Wishful thinking. Can't wait to be in my favourite place soon. Have stopped over in Kenhardt before and also enjoyed the local hotel. Had a good steak and chips there. :D

Post subject: Weigh Bridges: Cape Town to Kgalagadi.
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:34 pm 

Hi! Has anyone been stopped lately at any of the three weigh bridges on the way up to the Kgalagadi from Cape Town? Does leaving earlier make a difference for the first two before the Melkbos turn off and at Morreesburg? The third one is just before the Wimpy on the right hand side. Anyone been stopped there? :pray:

Post subject: Re: Weigh Bridges: Cape Town to Kgalagadi.
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:06 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi ruthi... :D
We mostly leave CT in the early hours of the morning so miss the first weigh bridges. We have however been stopped at Klawer...large heavy vehicles were being sent off to the weigh bridge and other traffic had driver's licenses etc checked. We have actually been through many "road blocks" as such on the way to KTP but not necessarily at weigh bridges. Morreesburg is a favourite place for a "road block" but in our experience everybody has been extremely friendly and we are just "waved" on our way. :) :thumbs_up:

Last edited by Caracal on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:57 pm 

Thank you so much. We have been stopped at Morreesburg once before and fined so are somewhat nervous. I am hoping that soon it will be possible to have our 4x4's rerated to carry a heavier load because of the suspension being lifted. We have emailed different people to ask but have heard nothing. We have already been stopped once at Morreesburg and fined but didnt have to loose the weight. I drive a Hilux double cab with an aulminium alucab conversion,TJM suspension, roof top tent, awning, bullbar with winch and a highlift jack and a 100 L watertank which i do not need to fill for this trip and will only put some water in at Upington. :hmz: Thanks again. :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
ruthi wrote:
Have stopped over in Kenhardt before and also enjoyed the local hotel. Had a good steak and chips there. :D

That is serious sheep country! :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi ruthi - we have done the journey up to KTP 4 times in the past year - sometimes with a 4x4 trailer - but usually not too visibly loaded I might add ....and have not been stopped once ....We don't leave too early either and there are usually trucks being weighed when we pass ... Will hold thumbs for you all goes smoothly this trip and you don't have any hassles :thumbs_up: Have a great trip !!!

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:16 am 

I have passed those 3 weightbridges many times with a fully loaded bakkie (although no roof rack & RTT) and have never been stopped.

Just another related question: can one voluntarily pull off at these weightbridges to have your trailer weighted? I have now a 4x4 trailer with a RTT etc but when I took it for roadworthy quite a lot of the current weight was not there yet - I am just curious to see if I am within the legal limit still?

Blackie.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Consider taking the R27 from CT and then travel past Langebaan (my hometown :mrgreen: ) then through Velddrif, Leipoldtville, on to Clanwilliam, Pakhuis Pass, Klipfonteinrant Pass, then the usual Calvinia - Kenhardt. It is a scenic, quiet route with one diversion just outside Dwarskersbos. Distance wise from CT to Clanwilliam it is about 45km further than the N7 but I doubt if you lose much time - due to virtually no traffic and no roadblocks.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:50 pm 

Thank you for all your replies. Encouraging to realise that most people are not stopped. Our vehicle is not visibly overloaded but does have the extras on it which increase the weight quite a lot, more than what we realise. I would think you could voluntarily pull into one of the weighbridges and ask them if you could weigh your trailer. Come to think of it we were towing our boat up to Misverstand at the time we were pulled over so perhaps that is why. I guess it gave us a bit of a shock. Cant wait to be in our favourite place. Kgalagadi dreaming... :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next