Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Solar power in KTC and Kieliekrankie
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:33 am 

Hi everybody.

First visit, always a number of unknowns. Will I be able to charge a camera battery at KTC and Kieliekrankie - both solar power or would it be better to buy a charger that can be operated from the car battery? I assume the power points are RSA type?

Another question is the kitchen at the KTC. My reservation confirmation merely states "Kitchen" as opposed to "Equipped kitchen" at KK. What bare essentials do I have to take? I am spending 4 glorious nights at the KTC and don't want to spoil it by not being properly prepared.

Anybody with any suggestion out there? and thanks for all the responses as always.

Post subject: Re: Solar power in KTC and Kieliekrankie
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:48 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Beetle,

There are no plug points in KTC or Kieliekrankie so you can't charge batteries using the solar power. Make sure you have car chargers or an inverter if you're staying in these camp.

The kitchens are fully equipped so you don't need to bring anything with you.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:33 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Beetle
Just don't leave any food lying around in your kitchen in the unfenced camps. I have had a genet help himself to my paws paws at Urikaruus. The hyenas at KTC (if they are around at the time ) can be quite inventive when comes to getting into fridges. Move the table right up to the fridge when you are not there or when you retire for the night. The crows and starlings rather like Nik Naks as well...

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:56 am 
We make us of an inverter because you can then charge everything from your laptop to your cameras….it also works out cheaper to get one inverter instead of a car charger for every single thing that needs charging.
If you end up with a big problem…..we have on occasion asked the camp attendant to charge one or two things for us …they have inverters in their units…one should however keep in mind that they are doing you a favour and you should not bargain that.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:36 am 

Thanks for the advice Jumbo. This might sound stupid but how do you keep your laptop charged since you would charge your camera battery from the laptop. I'm also not sure what an inverter is.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:50 am 

Hi Caracal

All of the tent flaps at KTC have now been replaced with doors. This is both the kitchen and main tent. I guess that this will keep the Hyenas out.

This time next week - we will be there!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:08 am 
Hi Beetle

What I meant to say is that you can charge your laptop, camera, flashlight…anything you want to …by using the inverter and the normal chargers of the different electronic equipment
An inverter converts the 12V you get from your car’s outlet, to 220V that you need to charge all these items……. converts DC to AC power… .you plug the inverter into your car’s power outlet and then you plug your camera charger (for example) into the inverter…
You can buy an inverter at numerous places…4x4 shops, places like Game, Makro and hardware outlets.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:56 am 

Hi Jumbo

Thanks a lot for your help. This, buying an inverter, makes much more sense than trying to do each item on its own.

Thanks to everybody for your contributions. You surely make it much easier for 1st timers to the KTP. Been to Kruger on numerous ocassions camping, but this is a bit uncertain since the KTP, it seems, is not so easy as Kruger. For instance the power points.

Good day to you.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:26 am 

Oh ,the doors on the kitchen will make a difference. When we were there in January '09 the kitchen did not have a door..only the bedroom. Shame that has rather spoilt the hyena's fun :
Thanks prof and have a great trip :

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:53 am 
Beetle
Just don’t let the sales people take you for a ride…a 150W inverter is more than good enough for charging your normal electronic equipment…will cost you about R300
Read through these topics and feel free to ask more questions…..then you should be more than prepared for the Kgalagadi ….it is a wonderful park, and for me personally, beats Kruger hands down…especially when one stay in the wilderness camp!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:03 pm 

Thanks Jumbo, this forum is a valuable tool. I've already learned a lot about water, wood, roads, weather and a lot of other stuff from reading this forum.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:29 pm 

I agree :
This forum is the best thing happening to me, and I have learnt so much just by going through everything.
Thanx to all forumites, putting in the effort to make it EASIER for us 1st timers

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

If you're planning on purchasing an inverter and want to use the inverter for charging your laptop then make sure to buy a decent quality inverter. Some cheap inverters generate inferior sine waves which can damage your laptop (and other sensitive electronics). If you're only using the inverter to charge batteries then any inverter will do.

Post subject: Electricity, Blue Plugs , chargers and inverters
Unread postPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:52 am 

Hi all, just another 95 days then we are off for our 1st visit to KTP

I just need to know if anyone can tell me if you can use any electrical appliances at the camps, reason is we have a 220V camping fridge which we would like to take with, but heard that the camps only have solar pannels. Please any info

Then I would also just like to know, does the KTP get allot of wind in August and should we take the necessary "storm tent pens" with
Thanx,
Karen

Post subject: Re: Electricity
Unread postPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:59 am 

Hi droopy - we had no problems with the electricity supply at TR. I am not familiar with the other camps though.

I would take storm tent pegs with to be on the safe side regardless. We had no wind at all last week, except for a 'dust devil' that did manage to cause a fair bit of an upheaval in the few seconds it passed by! One tent was blown away and towels etc blown off the line.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb