Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: Augrabies Night Drive Sightings
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:13 pm 

Hi there thanks for the Input. I just asked myself how nature controlled the numbers of Antelops- About Girrafes I know only Lions which are able to bring down Giraffes or am I wrong?? I hope I will get Infos,. Guru Thank you very much for the Infos I really appreciate that. That is what I call customer orientated work! Well done!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:35 pm 
Guru
Guru

Malealea your right,and althougt I have mentioned predadors for Augrabies they only take down medium size prey,and I have read up in Smithers that leopards can take down giraffes calfs to.
So there"s no regulation of numbers for bigger antelope species with regard to predators, exept the info that I already give to you.Bigger antelopes have normally a longer lifespan but a lower growth tempo.The numbers of mammals lighter than 30kg at adult stage are regulated by their behaviour and for mammal adults weigting more than 30kg it usually due to food scarsity according to Bothma(Game ranch management).Giraffes for example will breed throughout the year as well as mating to.The sexual maturity for the bulls are between 32-40 months,and for cows around 56 months.
Gestation period for cows are around 457 days and cows can calf at 71 months.
Lifespan around 20years.
The above just give an idea of the lenghthy process for development and in between environmental factors can also hamper these.
Overall the carrying capacity of a area should also be determined,to make management dicisions.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:48 pm 
Guru
Guru

Malealea can you let me know what specie of hayenas you are talking about as the distribution range of the brown hayena falls within Augrabies and according to the Section ranger there is signs of them althougt not much.They are also scavengers if I'm correct.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:26 pm 

HI AG

I talked abou Spotted Hayena. brown Hayena will only hunt smaller seized Antelops or maybe Seals like in skeleton coas in Namibia. the Problem with Brown hayenas are, that they will not hunt in Packs. they are solitary which are for Dogs or hayenas quite unuszuall. they only meet up for mating or eating. Otherwise they remain Solitary. therefor the regulation for the bigger antelops will not a big part of these animals.

Spotted Hayenas are a differen Story in KTP they bring down huge prey like Gemsbock. or Springbocks. but that will not explain the regulation of giraffes. as far as i know onl lions bring sown giraffes (not talking about Calfes). what abou Cheetahs, does they occur naturally? or will it be to Rocky for them. well In Namibia the exist also in Rocky habitats i can belive that they also exist here. Does some plans exist for reintroducktion?

Best regards

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:23 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Malealea
Will have a answer for you by next week.
And to all forumites an interesting leopard sighting was made by a overnight visitor this morning in the area of the falls,leopard was lying in front of the chalets when they saw each other leopard move on.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Augrabies Guru

It seems to me as if Malealea is actually asking you when you plan to re-introduce spotted hyena and lions to Augrabies park -- if that is a viable option -- Augrabies is not that big a park, and animal numbers must be very low because of the limited carrying capacity of a semi-desert area...
I suspect you are actually seeing Augrabies as a ``scenic park with a few animals'' rather than a real wildlife destination with many large predators -- once lions are added all your hiking trails and walks become dangerous without armed guides... and we know how many people complained about this recently in the Karoo NP forum.... you also have Kgalagadi TFP just around the corner, with all its predators.

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:28 pm 

Hi Friedrich,

No you got me wrong. I´m intrested of the overall dealing of this matter. With reintroducktion of huge predators, my oppinion are splitted. If they occur naturally then it will be fine but If not i dislike the Idea. I´m actually intrested in the former Diversity of Augraabies, you will agree, befor it was a NP hunting played a huge roll. Some animals were hunt to extinction and that is very intresting to know wihich former animals exist in this habitat. Do you agree?

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Augrabies Guru wrote:
Hi Malealea
Will have a answer for you by next week.
And to all forumites an interesting leopard sighting was made by a overnight visitor this morning in the area of the falls,leopard was lying in front of the chalets when they saw each other leopard move on.

:big_eyes: WOW! That's amazing :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
What type of leopard do you get there AG, is it the large 'Kruger or Kalahari' leopard, or the smaller Cape mountain leopard?

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi BB

My guess is that it would be the bigger Kgalagadi version -- it is a long way from the Cape mountains!

Good to hear they are around there...!

And hi Malealea -- thanks for the answer. I am not pro/anti having lions in Augrabies -- just trying to understand your questions better! If they say YES, lions were here before, then the next logical step is to have them back where they were before, same with hyenas etc. If they existed in Kgalagadi, then obviously also along the Gariep river at Augrabies, where there is more permanent water, and in dry times animals would obviously have migrated to the Orange/Gariep river for water before it became farm land. Interesting questions!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:32 pm 

@ Friedrich,

Yes now you got the point! That is exactly what I mean. KTP is not that far from Augraabies, so the probability of a natural Lion or Hayena population is indeed not impossible. Very long time ago the Orange were a river where Crocodiles used to live. I have lived a couple of years in Lesotho. The Orange river have its springs in the Maluti Mountains and then flowing the normal track. When the Basothos were expelled the Zulus they have to cross the Senqu (the name in Lesotho for the Orange River). Which were so rich on Crocs that many Basothos died. Now its gettimg Intresting. The basothos call themself Dikuena (crocodile) and that is indeed the Nickname of the Soccer Team of Lesotho. Some River Guides tld me aswell that Crocs used to live there but were hunt to extinction. Therefor I fell very uncomfortable to say no Predatos used to live here naturally.

About the Leopard I thing it´s not the Cap Leopard. This speci only lives in the wet and Rocky habitats close to the sea e.g Tsisikama. I belive its to dry. The Konkurrenz with other Leopards s to huge.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:45 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Cape leopards are found in the Cedarberg, among other places

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:36 pm 

I know but also the Cedarbergs get more rain then Augraabies, or Am I wrong??? therefor I totally agree.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:18 am 
Guru
Guru

Goodmorning allI have contacted another source with regard to the topic of reintroductions of historically large predators,so hopefully will have an answer for you this week.
Last night sigtings
giraffe,gemsbok at the waterhole(Holombacht),springbok at the bridge,scrub hare and thick-knee(nocturnal bird).

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:15 am 
Guru
Guru

Good morning all
With regard to answers on reintroductions off historically large predators,I have been informed that answers towards my questions will only be answered by next week, due to work constraints.
I also want to give you a proper answer for the above,so I guess we should just wait.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 76  Next