Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Namaqua park accessible only by 4x4?
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all. I need some advice. It will be my first time visiting Namaqua park. We will be staying at Skilpad camp. I have a sedan and wil only be able to do the 6km drive at Skilpad. The rest of the park is only accessible with 4x4. Is there any way for me to see the rest of the park? :hmz: Is there a 4x4 car hire anywhere near by? :hmz: Any drives one can book in the park? :hmz: Any ideas? :pray: :pray: Thanx

Post subject: Re: Namaqua park accessible only by 4x4?
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:21 am 

Subscribed

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:24 pm 

I just returned today from the Namaqua park today. You will be able to drive some of the roads with a standard vehicle around the Skilpad section of the park. The other sections and those closer to the coast are definately 4x4 only.
I have to say however that I would not want to drive even the Skilpad section with a sedan vehicle.... the roads are rough. I particular the road to the gate (17km's) is very rutted and corrugated. I went in a Ford Ranger 4x2 and was cursing the whole way.
I terms of hiring a vehicle you can do this in Upington and Cape Town and I have heard of a company in Calvinia that also hires out 4x4's.
The Skilpad huts are the best I have stayed in, in any SANpark.
I dont believe there are drive facilities (night or sunset etc). ... remember this is a very new park in development. They are making great strides but its still in its infancy.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Wildkyker, if you do get a 4x4 vehicle and do the full drive, keep in mind that it's quite a long drive with not many other cars on the road. If you are not an experienced 4x4 driver remember that the coastal stretch is very soft sand, so I would suggest very low tyre pressures for that bit and maybe also taking sand ladders and extra drinking water. Take an air compressor that as well to avoid driving all the way back to the camp on low pressure tyres.