Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lions Canine Distemper?
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:03 am 

Kgalagadi Guru wrote:
Tintin,

I have just spoken to our section ranger regarding the issue. Since the outbreak there hasn’t been one incident recorded again. It is speculated that the lions which contracted the disease where lions which broke out of the park, on the Botswana side, and came into contact with dogs.

Unfortunately that is the only info I do have at the moment, hope it helps.

Thanks Guru - hopefully people who have just come back can confirm whether they saw anything. I am going in Dec / Jan again and it would be great not to see most of the lions not looking so thin and sick. Really heartbreaking. Do you know if there has been any prophylactic/vaccine campaign for the dogs in the surrounding areas?

Thanks again.

Tuli / Makgadigadi Pans / Moremi - Sept
Garonga - October 2010
KTP - Dec/Jan 10

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:15 am 
Guru
Guru

Tintin,

That i will have to find out from the Botswana side. I will let you know after I have spoken to them.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Tintin

I don't know when the outbreak ``officially ended'', because we were at Mata Mata end of March, and apart from a very emaciated old lioness, we also saw a young male about 30 km from camp, who look emaciated and sick -- if I understand the discussions so far (and the symptoms), it was said that lions don't get emaciated from this disease, they die too soon. Don't know what disease our lion had then. Haven't heard much since....

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:54 am 

Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:
Hi Tintin

I don't know when the outbreak ``officially ended'', because we were at Mata Mata end of March, and apart from a very emaciated old lioness, we also saw a young male about 30 km from camp, who look emaciated and sick -- if I understand the discussions so far (and the symptoms), it was said that lions don't get emaciated from this disease, they die too soon. Don't know what disease our lion had then. Haven't heard much since....

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Thanks Friedrich - its really worrying. To my mind it stands to reason as I said to Guru that some campaign is followed to stamp out the cause if it is coming from the dogs outside. As this is a transfrontier park I would assume that the SA / Bot / Namibia side is working TOGETHER on this? There seems very little info on it or press releases?

Tuli / Makgadigadi Pans / Moremi - Sept
Garonga - October 2010
KTP - Dec/Jan 10

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:01 am 

There was a lioness lying flat under a bush at the Kousant waterhole about 10 days ago, and she was still lying there three or four days later and no one had seen her move from the spot. This doesn't seem like normal behaviour, so possibly she's sick too?

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:57 am 
Guru
Guru

annie R,

Could anybody see if she might have had any cubs?

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:23 pm 

No one we spoke to who had seen her mentioned seeing cubs, but if you do find out what her story is please let us know. I'd love to think it was cubs rather than illness, but...

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:59 pm 
Guru
Guru

annie R

I have forwarded the concern to the relevant section ranger. Im just awaiting his reply then I will post the answer.

Post subject: Re: KGALAGADI - Questions and Answers
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:01 pm 

A question (or more an observation) KG.

Spoke to a guy who has just returned from KTP. They came across a male lion that had been kicked by a Giraffe. Its jaw was broken. I won't go into detail but suffice it to say the lion was in a bad way. This happened at one of the loops near Mata Mata. He reported it but he was told that the park would not intefere. They would rather that nature take its course.

In another incident, an Ostrich was struck by a car and when reported action was immediately taken and the bird was put down.

If this is what happened (I did not hear the finer detail and I heard the stories second hand) can one assume the obvious? That the lion was a victim of the wild but the ostrich was injured by human hand? Or is it not as simple as that? KG did you hear about these incidences?

[color=#008000]

Birthdays are good for you - the more you have, the longer you live!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:03 pm 

Interesting question - years ago - probably early 2002 or around then, there was a dying lion outside TR - it was too awful as he was lying in the sun and in the most distressing condition - but when I reported it, as I assume many other visitors had, I was told nature would take its course. But what are the boundaries of management and interference in an environment that we have impacted on?

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:18 am 
Guru
Guru

Tony T,

This is a question that guides (in general) get a lot. It surely is very sad to see any animal in distress or injured, the first thing a human want to do is to help the animal (specie).

SANParks do have the policy of NO interference; we do try and keep nature as natural as possible. In a situation where any animal specie is injured, may it be by another animal or natural cause we will leave it that nature takes it cause (if we start interfering once it would be difficult to not interfere the next time). When working in an environment like this we have to know that we cannot get to attached to an animal, that’s why its been said that nature is very cruel, and to turn your head from the situation is even more heartbreaking. When an animal has been injured due to human interference, such as the Ostrich you have mentioned then only will we intervene.

For instance if an animal in Kruger has been caught in a snare, officials will take action as it is a 'man made' situation , but where it is natural causes we will let it be.

People might not understand certain actions taken and the reason behind it, but if we should start interfering in every case where an animal is injured it will become a zoo. People do go to game reserves to see animals in their natural environment, and then we should also accept the fact that nature plays by her own rules and as said before can be very cruel.

Unfortunately I didn’t hear about the incidents, but during my career I have had the unfortunate opportunity to come across cruel situations where you know you can help but you are not allowed to, it is not an easy thing to not get involved

Post subject: Mystery antelope spotted in KTP
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

On Tuesday 24 Aug 2010, early in the morning, had an interesting sighting on Marie-se-Draai, just south of Nossob.

Two antelope, reddish-brown in colour, impala-size, (smooth coat if I remember correctly), no white face or dark side stripes (thus not springbok). But also no dark "bum stripes" as one would expect for an impala.

They were very skittish and started running as soon as we came around the "corner". There was only just enough time to grab the binoculars for a quick view before they dissappeared over the edge of the dune. Thus no photo's.

The habitat was quite dense, small bushes that the antelope jumped over easily (just 10 minutes earlier we encountered a nice herd of Kudu in the same habitat.)

It was defnitive not any of the regular antelope species that one would expect to see in the KTP such as red hartebeest, eland, kudu, bluewildebeest, springbok, gemsbok and they were too big to be steenbok.

Is it possible that puku or red lechwe has strayed this far south?

If pushed, I'd say they were impala, but are not at all sure.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Mystery antelope spotted in KTP
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:30 pm 

I would say it is very doubtfull that Puku or Red Lechwe would wander so far south as they normally frequent less arid regions.

Impala also don't frequent the area much, maybe young red hartebeest, but by the sounds of things you know your antelope well enough to take that out of the equation?

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It is the same old dilemma: when eye does not see, heart does not hurt.

Nature in its most intimate expressions was not supposed to be seen by humans and thus we must learn to close the eyes and the heart when by chance the cruelness of nature hurts our sensibility.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:10 pm 

Well said Micetta - so in essence, what this means, we must respect nature, even its cruelty (what us humans have called it - though somehow mans cruelty does not equite with natures 'cruelty'!)

[color=#008000]

Birthdays are good for you - the more you have, the longer you live!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 54  Next