Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Augrabies Falls
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:17 pm 

Hi

I have often seen the statement that the Augrabies falls are the sixth biggest in the world, but I'd like to know in what way are they the sixth biggest? By volume of water that flows over them? In that case, according to one source, in flood they have as much water as the Victoria falls, and sometimes even more, so why only the sixth biggest? And if it is by height, I find it diificult to believe that they are amongst the six tallest, as they are not very high relative to falls like the Tukela /Tugela etc etc.

Can any one advise me on this...I need the info for a book

please email me if possible...manos@gam.co.za

Thanks
Immanuel

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The size is measured in the flow, not height.

In flood it can be bigger than Vic Falls when Vic is not in flood. If you compare apples with apples, it is rated as #6.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:14 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Did some internetting, but found different ratings for the highest falls. One thing is certain. Augrabies doesnt even make it in the top 10
Tugela second or third in the world.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001781.html

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:33 pm 

Actually, Immanuel's question is very difficult to answer. I've done a LOT of research on the internet trying to find difinitive proof of our falls as being the 6th biggest in the world (by volume, definitely not by height). Frustratingly, there doesn't seem to be one worldwide standard setup to compare waterfalls that I've been able to find.

So now you have to decide on what info you want to base the comparisons on: for height, Augrabies doesn't compare to a lot of falls worldwide; but for volume at certain times, our falls put in a pretty good showing. In 1988, during the last big flood, the falls reached a level of close to 7,800 cumecs (or 7,800,000 liters of water per second)! I found one website that claims to have info for all the world's waterfalls in a database (http://www.world-waterfalls.com/index.php), but I noticed that the info listed for Augrabies Falls isn't accurate. NOrmally, our falls average 50-70 cumecs, but this year has seen a much higher average. Today, our reading was 652 cumecs. The highest level we reached this year was 1,983 cumecs on 4 April.

Post subject: New Dassie Interpretive Trail Signs
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:50 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure you may feel that I've been neglecting the forum of late, and I must admit that I have been. :rembarrased But with good reason: I've been updating the Dassie Interpretive Trail signs all week, and let me tell you, it's been a BIG undertaking. Of course, I don't think it will compare to updating the Klipspringer Hiking Trail signs (I'll probably be doing that either starting next week or during the month of January)!!

For those of you who have hiked the Dassie Trail over the last couple years, I'm sure you've noticed how bad the signage is. But now the trail signs have a new design and they're much easier to identify, SEE, and follow. Plus, we also designed a new brochure for the trail which has a much better map. Unfortunately, we're still waiting for the professionally printed ones (in colour) to get finished, but in the meantime, you can see the brochure on the AFNP website under Activities ( pdf-file ) and even print off a colour copy of your own at home! (A HUGE thank you to DianneT for converting those from Publisher and putting them on our website! )

So now we're ready for you to come visit in December and enjoy the beautiful, informative Dassie Interpretive Trail to enjoy a fabulous five kilometers of AFNP. Hopefully we'll get to see some of you during the holidays!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

So glad to hear that you've been updating the trail signs, Sandy! ! I think that the hiking trails are one of the best things about Augrabies - I've done large sections of the Klipspringer trail as day-hikes, and loved it.

But you're right: the signage was not at all good. I've done loads of backtracking along the way, which is fine if you're on the Dassie trail, or a day-hike, but probably a bit annoying if you're carrying a full backpack.

Checked out the Dassie brochure; it looks great!

Good luck with the rest of your sign updating. For once, I don't envy you, because it must be a blazing hot job!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:18 am 

Restio,

You are so right that it's blazing hot out there! I definitely understand why the Klipspringer trail is closed from October through March because it would be entirely too dangerous otherwise. We can only put up signs in the morning, and then sit in the office and try to cool down the rest of the day. And even in the morning, we have to wear gloves because the signs and the poles get too hot to handle with bare hands! Imagine how hot the rocks in the gorge get after being in the sun all day!! And the backtracking is a pain - I don't envy the folks who have to do it with backpacks on (I walk the trail in portions also since I've been working out the signage so I luckily only carry a daypack). But that's why management approved the signage proposal, so next year the Klipspringer will be ready for hikers!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:21 am 

This is a sad week for me at Augrabies Falls National Park - my last work day is tomorrow, 22 December. I will miss everything about this park so much: the beautiful scenery and plant life; watching the dassies and klipspringer, Augrabies flat lizards and geckos, pale-winged starlings and red-eyed bulbuls (I could go on almost forever here); giving park presentations to both school groups and visitors; talking with visitors and answering questions; updating displays and creating new ones; and being a member of the wonderful Augrabies Falls community.

I'm signing off today as the Augrabies Guru and signing back on as yksandy (hopefully, if that name isn't already taken). I apologize for not getting more info up on the website about Augrabies Falls, but I hope to continue doing a little of that over the next two months before I leave the area permanently. I also still plan to post my Kgalagadi photos, but won't be able to do that until next month at the earliest. Thank you so much for your wonderful support. It's been great fun being the Augrabies Guru even though it was only for such a short time.

I'll be moving to the Langebaan area next March, so if you happen to be in that general vicinity, look me up!

Take care and enjoy the holidays, Sandy

Post subject: Augrabies falls level in June
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:42 pm 

Hello , we planned to visit augrabies falls in June , is there a lot of water a that period? we made it once in october , is it better in June? thanks a lot
ps : Maybe it was discussed before , if yes , sorry in advance. I just read so many pages without finding ;o))

Last edited by Tembe & Kgala on Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi pucelou and welcome!

If you edit the title of your post (and this thread) and add Augrabies Falls to it, you will likely get more replies. You also might have a look the Augrabies Falls thread and do a forum seach (click on "search" at the top of the page) to find more information. Right now we do not have an Augrabies Falls guru on the ground there (and Sandy, who was our guru, is off traveling for a few months). However, others may have more information. The level of the falls, so far as I know, will depend on the amount of rainfall in the months preceding your visit.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The catchment area for the Vaal & Oranje rivers is in a summer rainfall area. The falls is usually at its best from December to March, depending on rainfall.

The temperatures are much cooler in June though.

Post subject: augrabies leopard trap?
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:23 pm 

Hi there, can anyone tell me more about the stone leopard trap at Augrabies? How old is it, is it a Khoi structure, anything at all? I'm writing a story in which it features, would be very grateful for any info.
Thanks!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hello hri, and welcome to the forum!

I don't recall seeing a stone leopard trap at Augrabies - do you perhaps have a photo to show us what it looks like?

I have seen a stone carnivore trap in the Karoo National Park. It is mentioned on the Karoo NP history page as "a legacy of former hunting methods." If memory serves me correctly it was erected by farmers (not by Khoi), and it's main purpose was to catch "wolves" (early settlers called hyenas "wolves").

However, hopefully another forumite will have more definitive information to offer.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Found a picture of a stone trap near Williston. The caption refers to "wolves" (i.e. hyenas). This looks similar to the one I've seen in the Karoo National Park.

http://www.karoohoogland.co.za/Willistonpages/trap.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next