Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:23 am 

Christel, one day will be fine at Augrabies. I see that you're coming from KTP to Augrabies on the 12th, so I'm guessing that you won't be getting here until the early afternoon. I recommend visiting the falls first (probably a given), hiking the Dassie Trail (if you have the time - plan for at least 2 hours and take lots of water as it's already getting hot), and spending a sundowner on the last platform overlooking the gorge (furthest from the waterfall) or at Arrow Point as the sun sets. If you don't have time for the Dassie Trail, then I recommend doing a quick game drive to visit the most scenic viewpoints in the park.

I'll be here on the 12th unless some emergency comes up that requires me to go to Kakamas or Upington. My work hours are normally 0730-1600, so we should be able to meet! BTW, where in Germany are you from?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:27 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

You will need a camera with a wide angle lens on it, or, if you can't get one, a camera with a normal lens and a tripod. You can make a panorama photo then, which should be great. I wrote a bit on panoramic photography here.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:41 am 

DuQues gave you some good advice about cameras to use here. I was using a digital SLR with a 22-55mm lens for most of my scenic shots until I dropped it (only the lens, thank goodness) into the gorge! And since it was a Canon lens, I haven't had the money to replace it. I also have a super wide angle lens (10-22mm) but I get a bit frustrated with it at times as everything is then so far away. Using a regular lens for making panaramic shots is much more satisfying, and a long lens (like 100-300mm or farther) for game photography is more fun. (But that's only if your wallet can manage that!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:50 am 

Christel, I forgot to mention one VERY important thing to bring (if you have one): a mosquito net for your head. The black flies are here IN ABUNDANCE right now and will continue in such large numbers probably until the end of October. They supposed don't dine on human blood that often, but I seem to be a black fly magnet so I constantly have bites. What's most frustrating about them is that they fly into your ears, your nose, your mouth, your eyes, and your hair. (My scalp is what seems to get bitten by them most as they love getting in my hair.) I have a net that I brought from the U.S. which has some "whale bone" in the netting to keep it away from my skin. I may look quite silly (like a bee-keeper) but at least I'm not trying to keep them out of my nose and ears all the time! A strong-smelling insect repellant will usually keep them from landing on you, but they'll still buzz around your head. All that being said, even though we have black flies here, we're still DEFINITELY worth a visit!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Black flies - I will make a lot of new friends then?

A lot of fine tips - especially with the mosquito net, which seems to be must! A circular wire plus net fixed on the hat should work. - Thank you!

Christel

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:55 am 

Besides your black fly friends, you also have a very good chance of making some bird and primate friends if you don't guard your food very carefully: the pale-winged starlings, vervet monkeys, and chacma baboons often steal food from people and have become quite pesky. They're a lot of fun to watch, but not so fun to see them running off with your loaf of bread or bag of apples! See you next month!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:43 pm 

hi,

thank you for the tip. We have some nets from Australia and we will bring these with us. We arriving on the 21 Oct for 2 nights, but you are on the road than. Have a great trip sandy.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:36 am 

Shame I won't be here during your visit. I think you'll be quite happy with your nets here. It's very windy today so the black flies aren't a problem, but as soon as the wind dies down, they become quite a nuisance again. Hope you enjoy your visit while you're here!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Sandy,
hope the black flies aren't a problem any more when I visit Augrabies N.P. on the 7th November. I see you will be on your trip then. Hope I find someone showing me the Klipspringer photo models.
Have a great trip to Namibia and Botswana Sandy.

Table With A View, West Coast Adventures

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:55 am 

Hi Sable,

The black flies will still be here, but they shouldn't be nearly as bad as then as they are now. Too bad I won't be here, but we may be able to meet in Twee Rivieren: I'm dropping off my travel partner, and we're tentatively planning to be there on the night of NOV 10th. If you leave a message for me at reception or call me on my cell (+27 (0)76 371 2860), maybe we can meet. Hope you enjoy your visit to SA!!!

(Look for big ears on the tops of the rocks - that's what we usually see first when looking for klipspringer photo models!)

Post subject: Klipspringer trail
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:55 pm 

Hi there,

My very first post on one of the SANParks forums. Good to see that so much valuable information is being exchanged here.

Hence, my question. I am currently planning a trip to Augrabies & Kgalagadi for the end of November. Got interested in walking the Klipspringer trail in Augrabies. Only, some websites mention (for instance: http://www.places.co.za/html/klipspringerht.html) that the trail is only accessible to 30 September. I haven't been able to find confirmation for this on the SANParks website. Can anyone inform me whether it is possible walking the trail end November?

Then, are the possibilities doing a (short, about 1 or 2 days)rafting-trip on the Orange River near, or in, the park?

Looking forward to your reactions. Many thanks!

Cheers,

Michiel

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

As far as I know, the trail closes due to schorching temperatures experienced over summer months. I am sure the Guru will assist here if I'm wrong though.

Post subject: Re: Klipspringer trail
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:39 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Michiel,

I think you should send Sandy a PM. She's the Augrabies Guru and should be able to answer all your questions.

Post subject: Re: Klipspringer trail
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

From the Augrabies part of the SANParks website:

Klipspringer Hiking Trail: 3 days, 2 nights and a maximum of 12 persons per group, and minimum of 2 persons per group. Advance booking essential. Closed October to March due to heat.

So yes, the information that it is only accessible until 30 September is correct. I've just been to Kgalagadi, and it was 37 degrees every day. Not walking weather!

SANParks offers the Gariep 3-in-1 Adventure: "This is a three-part adventure comprising canoeing for 3 km down the mighty Orange River, walking for 4 km and returning to camp by mountain bike (11 km). Enquiries and reservations at the park." I haven't done it myself - just quoting from the Augrabies website.

I will PM you about some other options.

Post subject: Back Online
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:54 am 

Hi Everyone,

(Michiel - sorry for not answering your questions earlier, but I was away on vacation to Kgalagadi (4X4 Botswana trail, Nossob, and Mata Mata) and Namibia (all over) for three weeks and I forgot to post an "out of office" notice for everyone. But I am back now and I sent you a PM that says the same info that other wonderful members already showed you.)

Glad/sad to be back from my vacation, but I will try to address some outstanding issues this week. Plus, as I get a little more organized and caught up with all my emails and stuff, I'll try to post some of my photos from the Kgalagadi portion of my trip. We had some excellent sightings which culminated in our only leopard sighting during the last TWO hours in the park!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next