Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: KTP in August
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:47 pm 

Hi everyone,

After 3 years I will finally be coming back to South Africa and one of my favourites places on Earth, the KTP -- I can't wait !!! I will be there for the last week of August.

I've been to KTP 5 times now, so I know the camps, the rules and so on, but I've always been there in the full heat of summer. August should be different, of course.

Could anyone advise me on climate conditions in winter ? We will be camping in tents since no other accomodation was available. I'm used to camping in the KTP in summer, but how cold can it get at night ?

Is it usually rainy ?

Here is what I usually pack :
- tents, sleeping bags, sleeping bag liners
- cooking material and so on
- table & chairs
- light clothing
- trekking shoes and flip flops
- camera gear, electrical plugs, cables and so on.

Do we need thermal underwear for the cold nights ?

Also, I will for the first time be travelling with children, aged 7 and 15. Any advice on how to keep them safe (no hanging out the car windows, and no going barefoot in the camps, that I know :-)) AND entertained ? I'm one of these mad persons who go out of camp when the gates open and only come back before they close. I think I might need to adapt this otherwise the kids will get bored ...

Anyway, any suggestions on KTP in the winter AND with kids are welcome sine both concepts are quite new to me :big_eyes: !

Thanks a lot !

Post subject: Re: KTP in August
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:04 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello there .
Were in KTP in August last year and yes the nights were chilly We did not camp But I have often found camping warmer than the chalets . Maybe nice warm socks , warm track suits and an extra warm light blanket Even buy a few inexpensive hot water bottles in Upington . You can always give to someone when you leave . We had no rain while we were there
Children:- Mine used to love the game parks and really they used to go from tiny tots until they were grown up. I used to take books and colouring stuff when they were little . they all had a set of binoculars and the bird book and animal books were always handy . Treats if they could spot animals .. When retuning to camp a nice stroll around the camp gets rid of some of that energy . Children might have changed but I have taken the grand children and they have the same fun as their parents did .
We will be in Belgium in August .. not sure what people do in Belgium .... but my daughter Son in Law and grandie are there . Enough reason to go
Have a great time planning and enjoy your trip

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:12 pm 

Thanks a lot Hugh !
Treats if the kids spot animals is a great idea :clap: ! Will also bring books and colouring stuff, preferably with animals, haha.

The hot water bottles are also a great idea and I'm sure they will make someone happy when we leave.

As for Belgium, there isn't that much wildlife (though it depends on what you call wildlife, lol :mrgreen: ) but there is plenty to see -- please PM me if you need any information, tips and so on !

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:13 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Sawaddeekha,

August is actually a very nice time in the Kalahari.

It can unfortunately be very windy, so remember to bring enough safety tent poles with.

Day's are very nice, with nights and early mornings cold.

Enjoy the trip.......... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:25 pm 

Thanks lion queen :thumbs_up: !

Will remember the poles. Does the Midas shop, a block away from Pick & Pay, still exist in Upington ?

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:42 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Yes still there........... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:32 pm 

Great, thanks ! I was thinking I could buy additional tent poles there, or do you have any other place to recommend in Upington ? I'd rather buy them there instead of bringing them over from Europe :-)

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi sawa

We have camped in Aug a few times......ranged from very cold to ok......at Nossob the one year we didnt think it was particularly cold until the guy behind us at the gates told us it was -7degrees. But we had hot water bottles and these chemical bags that once exposed to the oxygen in the air, heat up and stay warm for 12 hours. No rain...but windy as lionspoon mentioned