Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: KGALAGADI - Questions and Answers
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:41 am 

Hi everybody - thanks for the reply re the lamps - will take battery lights. Thanks also to Dotty - lots of useful info. Nervous and excited :)

Post subject: Generators
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:31 pm 

I am somewhat disappointed by the ban on usinga generator in the Richtersveld especially if you have a extended period of visit. Caravan and or car batteries only last that long. There is now what you call these silent type generators which does not create a lot of noise and they are 4 stroke meaning they create very little carbons and all car engines are 4 stroke.
Surely by inspection and regulated use it can be controlled for use.
Just asking?

Post subject: Re: Generators
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:00 pm 

You get very nice and sophisticated Solar power units that you can hook up to your dual battery systems if that could help?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:20 pm 

I have done some research on these solar panels. The cost in my view is absorbatant oand to charge two 102 a/H batteries you are going to need a solar panel as big as a house. The other problem is these deep cycle batteries does take a long time to fully charge and yes it also stores energy for a longer period of time.
To use a sperate system like the altrnative third battery systems means that you will have switch between batteries all the time and then you must also switch to your caravan system as well. Toooo much switching and I am sceptical about changing or tapping into the wire system of my caravan.
It also means you must drive very long distances in order for the alternator to get those batteries charged .
I will maar design a enclosed container to run my generator in with exhaust filters or something and take my chances. More like these filters the petrol weedeaters use or similar effect.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:01 am 

You don't really have to have solar panels to fully recharge your 2 batteries - in my view, 2 x 80W panels with a decent controller, will supply sufficient power (during optimal sunny days) to run 2 fridges and still put some charge back into the batteries. During night, the batteries should last to keep the fridges running (you can turn the settings down) and supply some light until bed time.

In the long run a solar system will be more cost effective plus it is defnitely more "green" than any generator will ever be.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:31 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I do think that any generator will still create some disturbing noise. My battery system have lasted me for the time spend at any site. If you want to be out in the bush you can get a fridge that uses gas and for lights you can rely on a solar panel and LED lights. It is not the exhaust fumes that creates a disturbance, but the noise of the generator. There is nothing as irritating as a generator in a bush camp, just because people need to run hair dryers and other appliances, even TV, but I have to also agree that the cost of solar panels are a real rip-off.

If we need all the luxuries of life in the bush then there is something wrong with this mindset. The two concepts does not gel nicely. That in no means should deter anyone to still have a 'bush' experience, but unfortunately city luxury and bush camping are just not the same. There are enough remote camping areas where generators may be used. Let us have some areas where they are not allowed - PLEASE!

Use gas for the fridge and the lights and even a water heater for a steaming hot shower if need be.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:54 am 

my idea too!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

For all practical reasons it will be impossible to regulate generators. One person may find a certain level of noise acceptable and the next will find it annoying. I have had horrendous experiences with camping neighbors' generators so I surely hope the day never comes that it is allowed in our wilderness camping areas.

I invested in a very portable an rugged solar panel. It rolls up in a coil and can be stowed in a container the size of a 20L paint drum. It delivers 60 Watts of power. Typical power requirement of my National Luna Fridge/Freezer is 30 - 40 Watts so quite clearly the solar panel deliver more than enough charge to sustain the battery. We camped at De Hoop for 5 days without starting the vehicle, the solar panel managed perfectly to maintain full charge on the battery. Sure solar panels are expensive but consider the fact they use 0 fuel, requires virtually no maintenance and produce 0% noise pollution so in the long run it really pays to buy one.

Post subject: Power Sockets
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:26 pm 

Hi all,

I'm sure there must be an answer to this somewhere, but after spending some time searching and using the search function, I couldn't find an answer so sorry if I've missed it! :)

I just want to check if there are power sockets to charge cameras in the Mata Mata, TR and Nossob? At TR we'll be in a 'family cottage', in Mata Mata we'll be in 'River Front Chalet' and in Nossob we'll be in 'Chalet'.

Thanks for any help, and sorry again if it's a silly question!

Post subject: Re: Power Sockets
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:59 pm 

Hi htid.No sweat at all.
Yes,power sockets to charge cameras are available in the chalets at MM,TR and Nossob.
MM and Nossob are generator driven and the power is switched off from 11pm until 30 mins before gate opening time.
So if you want to be out of the gate early at MM and Nossob charge the batteries before the power goes off.
Enjoy your trip.

Post subject: Re: Power Sockets
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:03 pm 

Thanks for your help! :)