Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi: Car rentals
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@Silvia; Low Range is only necessary when the going really gets tough. I have not done the route you are referring to but did the Kgalagadi Leeuwdril 4x4 route in 4x4 high range and it was really easy. Keep the tyre pressure low. Remember as it gets very hot in Kgalagadi, the tyre pressure can increase as much as 0.5 bar from cold to hot, so if you check your tyre pressure in the morning it may be (lets say) 1.5 bar (OK) and it can increase to 2 bar during the day - which is to hard for sand. Don't ever stop on the dune's slope - cause that is where you will dig in and get stuck when you try to pull away. Keep momentum until you are on top and then gently slip down the other side. Even getting stuck is not the end of the world. Don't spin the wheels once you are stuck. Stop, get out and see which wheels are stuck before digging yourself in. I assisted a guy with a 4x2 pickup pulling a trailer when he got stuck at Rooiputs by simply removing the sand in front of the stuck rear wheels and he drove out easily - it just takes a bit of thinking.

Post subject: Nossob - Kalahari TC Roads
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:04 pm 

I would like some advice/information from any forum members who have recently travelled the Nossob - Gharagab - Bitterpan - Kalahari Tented Camp road. I have booked to do this trip at the end of April 2012 - will a Honda CRV handle these roads ?
Many thanks.
BTB

Post subject: Re: Nossob - Kalahari TC Roads
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi BTB,
Check out the index while you are waitng for a recent traveller There are several car/road topics listed here
Hope you have a wonderful stay..anticipation and plannning is half the fun eh? You could check out a few KTP travel tales to whet your appetite :lol:
here

Post subject: KGALGADI AND NORMAL VEHICLE VS 4X4
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:57 pm 

PASSENGER VEHICLE AND KGALAGADI

I am keen to visit Kgalagadi, planning the following route: Twee-Rivieren, Kalahari Tented, Nossob and then Kielekrankie. Is this trip possible with a standard passenger vehicle or is a 4X4 essential?
Please help!

CROCFAN

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:00 pm 

Hi BTB,

As far as I know the Honda CRV does not have Low Range? I drove the Bitterpan route with my Double Cab 4x4 and could have done it in High Range, but then again, I do have quite a bit of sand driving experience.

Are you going to travel these routes alone? If so, my recomendation would not to travel the Bitterpan route without a vehicle with low range 4x4, unless you are an experienced sand driver.

The Gharagab route I'm not familiar with though...

Post subject: Re: KGALGADI AND NORMAL VEHICLE VS 4X4
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Have a browse inthe topic "Kgalagadi: Info 4x4 and sedans" in the index here :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:05 pm 

tHANKS dOTTY!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:08 pm 

Hi crocfan,

For those routes that you have chosen to drive, a 4x4 is not essential and you will have no issues with your sedan vehicle. A 4x4 / high clearance vehicle does have advantages though like higher ground clearance, better game viewing and normally has a higher profile tyre which allows the user to deflate the tyres quite a bit for a more comfortable ride, but a sedan will by no means spoil your KTP experience.

Enjoy! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:59 pm 

BTB, AFAIK, you will require Low Range for both the Bitterpan and Gharagab routes, unless you are an experienced sand driver. I also think, might be wrong, that the ground clearance of the CRV will not be sufficient for these routes.

Blackie.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:03 pm 

For me renting a 4x4 wheel is a no brainer .
I would not be so relax there in a sedan .
We had some very big puddles to go through last february ,so it was a lot better(and perharps necessary) to have a high clearance and i find some roads are a little too stony (as a part of the lower dune road ) at my taste for the little wheels of a sedan.
Perharps a 2X4 wheels could be nice also ?

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:20 pm 

A higher clearance vehicle like SUV or bakkie does normally also deal better with the corrugated roads you do find in KTP.Especially in the Nossob area a higher clearance vehicle does assist for better game viewing.

I have however seen many people in KTP enjoying the park with a normal vehicle.For some of the wilderness camps(not the ones you have chosen) a 4x4 is a must.

Enjoy your trip!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Crocfan
You can do KTP in a sedan....here are a couple of pics to prove it.....

Feb 2011 - Grootkolk.....a hyaundai atos

Aug 2011 - Leijersdraai picnic site......after our 4x4 broke down 100km short of Upington and we had to hire a Polo Vivo.......

BUT......

depends on what time of year you go.....I would be very hesitant going to KTP in the rainy season in a sedan......the mud and the puddles in the road can be a challenge! Also we found the verges of the road very high in some places on the Nossob side, we actually couldn't seen over them in the vivo.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:53 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I drove the Gharagab road in a Nissan X-trail which has "high range" but not "low range".
The biggest challenge for me was not the traction on the sand, it was the ground clearance as the middle man is quite high on some of the dunes you cross.

It was fun, though :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Our first trip to KTP was in a Honda Ballade and had no problems driving, but I agree game viewing is sometimes not that great. Some parts of road were heavily graded resulting in a lovely view of a sand wall and grass on top. :cry: , but there are a lot of places where you will have far open views and a sedan will not be a disadvantage.

I found that the road to Mata-Mata is OK, but the loops to the waterholes were very corrugated when we visited last year.

The "dune" road past Kieliekrankie will be no problem to a sedan as well as the road from Dikbaardskolk and Urikaruus. The danger of these two roads are the rolling effect from crossing dune and traveling too fast. Some drivers have fallen asleep along this road resulting in writing off the vehicle.

Just travel slowly along the roads and you will be fine. The problem might be that you need to reduce to 20 km/h so plan the distances carefully and you will be more lucky to spot game at that speed as well. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:35 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
About half of the vehicles seen in Kgalagadi are sadans, and most people seem to have no trouble.

Just let your tyres down, wear a sports bra and cement your teeth in well!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next