Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Namaqua National Park
Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:38 pm 

I rather imagine the target market is overseas visitors or as a very special anniversary/birthday
present, rather than giving locals the chance to visit even if it had to be a day trip.

NO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:01 pm 

We went to Namaqua NP in April and loved the place. It was the last of all the arid parks that we hadn't visited so we thought it was about time we made the effort. And now we can't imagine why we waited so long. I know everyone thinks of Namaqualand as covered in spring flowers, but there was lots to make it special in autumn too. Kokerbooms, great walks and drives, the last of the March lilies still in flower, and totally fabulous chalets with everything you could possibly want. I was so taken with the place that I'm starting a series of four blogs about all things Namaqualand. You can read these on the address below. See if it doesn't make you want to go there too!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:18 am 

Thanks for the link to your lovely blog, I shall follow it with great interest. Also delighted to see your contributions to Wild mag, what a fabulous magazine!

Unfortunately the chalets at Namaqua Park are fully booked all through August, so we'll have to find a solution outside. Also we don't have a 4wd, so I'm hoping that won't limit us too much.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:43 am 

Thanks charamal. As far as I can see some of the roads (and certainly the main flower route) will be fine without a 4x4, though there are some sandy roads in the coastal Groen-Spoeg section that definitely require 4x4. If you like you can phone the park on 027 672-1948 to check before you go, either with reception or with the tourism manager, Elanza van Lente. Good luck, I hope you enjoy it.

Post subject: 4x4 Eco Route in Namaqua NP
Unread postPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:52 am 

If you’re into wild and rugged roads on mountain passes or along the coast, and having the whole world to yourself for a few hours, then the Caracal Eco Route in the Namaqua National Park is your kind of thing. A lot of people don't know that there's now a coastal section to this arid park, added in 2008. It makes for a varied and exciting drive with stunning scenery. We didn't have time to do the whole route, which is 200km long and would take about eight hours, but we really enjoyed the part we did. You can read more about it on today's post on my blog below. More about the park in general in the previous two posts as well. This developing park really deserves to be better known for things OTHER than spring flowers!

Post subject: Namaqua NP
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:06 pm 

Just wondering if I can get Skilpad Rest Camp in a sedan vehicle and if it's worth going there with that type of car.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Namaqua NP
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:19 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi varademoises

Yes you can get to Skilpad Rest camp with a sedan and it is well worth it if you intend going there in the flower season. There is a short circular drive that you can do in your sedan but further than that ...no you will need a 4 x 4. The short circular route is where you will see most of the beautiful flowers alongside ( if you are lucky) bat-eared foxes, meerkats and steenbokkies. There are some awesome hikes that one can do ..not strenuopus at all and you see many beautiful flowers along the way.Tthe road from Kamieskroon to Skilpad can be horrendous when it comes to corrugations etc but it can be done in a sedan. The chalets at the rest camp are awesome..very well equipped and the view..sigh...you need go no further. :D

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:23 am 

Thank you very much Caracal!!!

Post subject: Re: Namaqua National Park: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:45 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

How "tough" are the 4x4 routes in Namaqua National Park?

I've done the Skilpad circular route before in a small car, but would love to do the 4x4 routes in the park. However, I'm not into heavy duty off-roading, and would not like my "soft-roader" 4x4, a Daihatsu Terios, damaged by roads that are really too tough for it. So, can a Terios take those roads, or is it really only for the "big boy" 4x4's ?

Same question re 4x4 routes in Goegap Nature Reserve near Springbok (this is not SANParks is it :redface: ?) ... any advise?

Post subject: Re: Namaqua National Park: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

No not SANParks :naughty: Please private message Dabchick with any non SANParks suggestions :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:15 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Caracal wrote:
Hi varademoises

Yes you can get to Skilpad Rest camp with a sedan and it is well worth it if you intend going there in the flower season. There is a short circular drive that you can do in your sedan but further than that ...no you will need a 4 x 4. The short circular route is where you will see most of the beautiful flowers alongside ( if you are lucky) bat-eared foxes, meerkats and steenbokkies. There are some awesome hikes that one can do ..not strenuopus at all and you see many beautiful flowers along the way.Tthe road from Kamieskroon to Skilpad can be horrendous when it comes to corrugations etc but it can be done in a sedan. The chalets at the rest camp are awesome..very well equipped and the view..sigh...you need go no further. :D

Absolutely, Caracal! I did the walks more than the drives as I was enthralled with finding flowers close-up. At close range, there are more species than you can imagine. :dance: :dance:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post subject: Through Namaqua to Hondeklipbaai and back in a sedan?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:10 am 

Can anyone help me with knowledge of the current road conditions please?
Went over Wildeperdehoekpas in my 4x4 in Feb 2011 and besides a short section of rough road near Hondeklipbaai I don't remember thinking it was necessary to have a 4x4. Little did I know then I would have the chance to do it in a hired tjorr this year!
We are going first week of Aug. Feedback on whether the blommetjies have started flowering this year would also be much appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Through Namaqua to Hondeklipbaai and back in a sedan?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:01 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Zookrat and welcome,

We came up from Stellenbosch this past weekend, via Springbok, and yes there were "blommetjies" ( flowers) every where. It's not spectacular ( but this is still early days!!!), but they are there and should be a nice sighting by the time you go in August.

Enjoy and please show us your photos.......... :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:53 am 

Zookrat, it depends on what route you intend to follow from Namakwa NP - If you are going to exit via Soebatsfontein and then drive the coastal route ( the Eco 4x4 route), I do not think it is possible in a sedan - there are 2 bad patches of thick sand along that route to Hondeklip Bay.

As for flowers, my own personal thinking (having done about 6 flower trips over the last 8 years), the first week in August might be a bit too soon for flowers along the coastal line - more inland e.g. Garies, Springbok, Nababieb, etc you may have some luck.

But nevertheless, enjoy it! It is always a great experience, even with no or little flowers to see.

Blackie.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:06 am 

Looking at the map I have from the Eco Trail route we did, to get to Hondeklip Baai, one turns off before the road goes along the beach and through the thick sand. I cannot say what the strip through the park one will have to do is like though.

I can email the map to you if you like Zookrat.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next