Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: WANTED: Twee Rivieren Leopard and 2 cubs - Regular Updates!
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
News just in from Hendri(in his travel tale - '3 KTP trips and 4th soon')

'Not sure if you heard the news about Maja, the TR Leopard. Any way the "rumour" is that see gone into a private farm in Bots where she got captured and released back in KTP but north of Nossob. Apparently they were unaware of her one remaining cub which now also passed away. :( '

Has anybody else heard this? Perhaps Kgalagadi Guru can find out if this is true and hopefully shed some more light on this sad tale.

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:19 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear All,

Please note that I have replied on the leopard issue, kindly let me know the source of this information.

@ Pikasso, you mention aninet send you an email mentioning the death of the cub. Would you please be so kind to PM me as I would like to investigate this matter and the source of the information.

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
Just an update on this thread:

Quote by Kgalagadi Guru in 'Recent Animal Sightings' thread:

"Dear All,

I would like to respond to the leopard situation.

There was a leopard caught on the Botswana side (close to the gate). The leopard was taken (translocated) to the Nossob side of the park (The reason for taking her that far was to stop a situation where she might have been killed by the farmers.

The leopard has been seen with a 11 month old cub in the area. I have NO idea where the story came from that the cub is dead. At 11 months the cub's instincts will take over and the cub is old enough to be able to look after itself. With leopards being so territorial the chances is good that the leopard will find her way back to where she came from.

The leopard which was spotted at the Nossob waterhole might have been the same one which was Translocated to the north. "

And another update today from KG:

"I did a morning walk this morning at Samevloeiing and spotted some very fresh female leopard tracks, if it is the female which came back i will not be able to tell."

:hmz: Perhaps Kruiper(Maja's adult cub from her second litter) or Maja? We will have to wait for positive ID from Kgalagadi Guru or some lucky forumites who manage a close-up pic of this leopard.

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:37 am 
Guru
Guru

Forumites, regarding the female leopard in question, when I do have new information I will make sure its posted.
However what I would like to ask is when emails are doing the round about aspects of either wildlife or the park in general it would be appreciated if you firstly confirm the 'hear say' information either from myself or other park officials. Currently there are 'hear say' information regarding the female leopards cub which is not confirmed facts and it does create the wrong impression.

If and when you do receive emails going around please let me know of the source of the email / 'hear say' information

Thanks so much.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Let's not give up hope quite yet. We had leopard sightings on Nossob webcam on the 30th November, the 20th, 24th and 29th December (4 times in total that evening!) - that is the most I can remember in such a short period of time. Let's just pray it is Maya and that some mite will have witnessed it personally and bring back some better pics for ID than the cams have to offer.

Mobile Webcam Project: Done!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

By the way, I wonder if KG knows that Maja's name is directly linked to him (or his predecessor)?
Let me remind you the story: PeterBee named one of this leo's cub born around mid 2007 Jannie, to honor the guide (KG?) at this time. So we named the mother Maja, for MAman de JAnnie, mummy of Jannie in French...
One more reason to try and find out what is going on with Maja, KG!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9