Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 208 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Children in Kgalagadi
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:48 pm 

We have been coming to the park for 20 years and have mostly enjoyed camping.We have once again booked in the Botswana side of the park and thought of treating our selfs to the Parks wilderness camps.(We know the 3 old camps very well) and I decided to book at Urikarus and Kieliekrankie as we have heard they are the nicest. We have 2 kids and I was thus totally shocked to find out that we had to book 2 tents and it would costs us in excess of R1400 per night....????!!! How is it possible that the SANP could be so selfish and narrow minded in thinking that only childless people want to enjoy the Wilderness camps, ...Yes I know that Kalahari tented camp has Family tents, so what would it take to include one Family tent at each of the other wilderness camps.?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:20 pm 

Pajero, I felt similar for a while. However, when you consider the danger of an unfenced camp, it makes sense to focus on non-families. I have 2 small children and must just accept that the "old" camps are more family-orientated. You still see the same views than the people in the wilderness camps, so what's the deal...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:56 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Pajero
I sort of feel the same way as you do but having been to the unfenced camps I can tell you now that my kids would not have enjoyed it. There is not much place for them to move and they would have got extremely frustrated. KTC on the other hand is a different matter because the camp is larger and there is a swimming pool. I suppose it also depends on the age of the children. I think I would also have got very frustrated in trying to keep them quiet all the time. My kids always appreciated nature but did tend to get a bit bored when nothing was happening. I think the unfenced camps are more suited for teenage children and yes you would have to take two tents. I have 3 kids so I would have to take 3 tents...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Michele makes an excellent point, pajero. These small KTP wilderness camps are totally unsuitable for (most) children. There is nothing for them to do, you are confined to your individual unit, and you can't wander off to "explore" as you can in the larger, fenced camps, nor can you "play" in the area around your unit. Predators frequently cross right through some of these camps, both day and night, so you have to be alert whenever you leave your unit, even just to get something from your car. They offer a wonderful experience, but are definitely not for young(er) children.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:44 am 

Pajero,

I've had to book out Grootkolk at Year End for two families and yes it does cost a bit, but the advantage is that I now have the whole camp to myself. Personally I'm not concerned about the unfenced bit, and you don't seem to be either if you take your kids to the Botswana camps.

I can see the Parks viewpoint on this one, and it comes from two angles. First is the safety aspect. A few years back a kid was bitten by a Cape Cobra at Grootkolk whilst sleeping on the floor, and nearly died. Obviously they don't want a repeat of that situation or anything similar. Secondly if you go to the smaller camps I believe one of the reasons you are going is for the solitude, and you may not get that with extra kids running around the place. Imagine if you are going to Grootkolk expecting 8 people including yourself. Suddenly you and your partner are accosted by an extra 6 and the camp is bursting at the seams with 14. That would really p--s me off.

Natal parks for their luxury camps have a no kids under 14 policy, and if they are the right age then they also have to pay full rates, so I'm quite grateful that at least SANParks affords me the opportunity to take my kids along, albeit it a premium.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:01 pm 

Think Michele said it all
The Tented Camp does have family units
And the pool
I have a 12 yr old and has been on two KNP trips.
Always wants a ice cream etc and loves to roam the grounds during day and night in search of animals.
Impossible to do in the wilderness camps.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

And bert, just FYI, your son won't find any ice creams in KTP except at the shop at Twee Rivieren As I know for certain, having waited for the Mata Mata shop to open in hopes of an ice cream, only to find that what looked like an ice cream display case in fact held only ice and frozen meat However, on the plus side, whilst waiting for the shop to open, I did finally spot the whitefaced scops owl in the tree outside the shop!

@discobob: I arrived at Grootkolk expecting only 6 other guests and found instead a group of 8, including 4 children under the age of six. And their attitude when I asked that they please keep the noise down was that there were more of them than me and it was just my tough luck to be there when they were. They were settled in the communal kitchen and never left the camp Fortunately, they left next day (two hours later than the 09h00 leaving time), but it was not a pleasant 24 hours and there was almost no activity at the (otherwise almost constantly busy) waterhole nor any birds in camp (normally camp birdlife is prolific) whilst this inconsiderate group was there.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:12 pm 

I do not understand this thing about "I have kids & there is no fence". The young's are the future. Public liability plays a role though & some grownups have no control. So, understand. Only prob. I will be going there & my 4 y'r old had lion cubs as playmates before she was 1y'r. They have been around but cannot go on the Lebombo trail due to their age.(4 & 10) but have been "In Da Bush" (name of my prior home) more than most? Eish, Ice cream is not the be all and end all. My kids LUV H2O.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:00 pm 

arks wrote:
@discobob: I arrived at Grootkolk expecting only 6 other guests and found instead a group of 8, including 4 children under the age of six. And their attitude when I asked that they please keep the noise down was that there were more of them than me and it was just my tough luck to be there when they were. They were settled in the communal kitchen and never left the camp Fortunately, they left next day (two hours later than the 09h00 leaving time), but it was not a pleasant 24 hours and there was almost no activity at the (otherwise almost constantly busy) waterhole nor any birds in camp (normally camp birdlife is prolific) whilst this inconsiderate group was there

And hopefully that's why SANParks have "toughened" their stance on extras in the camp.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:04 pm 

The 2 extras could have been Lion Bait. Or maybe their parents.

My two (10&4) will blow any of the Know-it-alls away with their knowledge about nature. I just think Grownups should take control & Kids are good in essence. Blame the adults, not the children.

Damn, I am sommer getting P-d off. Bert, your kid deserves a trip to nature. There should be a thread on bad adults/parents not EVER about where to allow kids.

Yours Sicerely

A Father.

Post subject: KTP Wilderness Camps
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:56 am 

Hi All,

Your comments have been noted and will be passed on to KTP management for their information and consideration.

SANParks values your continued support.

Snr Manager: Tourism Standards
SANParks

Post subject: Kgalagadi - suitable for young kids?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:44 pm 

Hi there - we plan to travel to namibia in october with a 4y old and rent a motorhome. Would kgalagadi be OK for a motorhome (not 4x4) - I see a lot of discussion on bad roads! And are there many accessible roads other than the main one from mata mata to twee rivieren. Any experience with young kids there? We haev both done etosho in our child free years and looking for somewhere a litte different. Thanks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

simonh, can't answer you on the motorhome story - will let someone who has been there more recently do that.

We took our son, CB, to KTP when he was 4, and he loved it! We made sure that our itinerary wasn't too crowded, so there was time for lazy days in camp, when he could look at insects, dig holes in the red sand and swim in the pool.

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi - suitable for young kids?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:37 pm 

Hi Simon

My dad took a motorhome to the KTP in the late 80's and the roads were no better then. Admittedly they never got the dust out and suffered some broken crockery on the road to the park

I have twice taken young children to the park. My daughter was only 1 the first time and last year in May we were there with her (then 5) and my son (then 1). We plan to return this year with them in December. The park is great for kids and there were quite a few other youngsters at Twee Rivieren for them to play with. Mine travel very well which helps but in Decembers heat I imagine we will spend the hot hours in the camp.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hello simon

It depends on what your kid likes to do. I'd say as long as there's space to play, a shop for sweets an dice cream, other kids and a swimming pool and you don't drive for too long, that would keep most small kids happy.

KTP is far from the nearest town and medical services (in Upington I think) so just keep that in mind.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next