Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 36  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:36 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum Jade.

I have replied to your pm, but for the benefit of other forumites, De Hoop seems to be hijacked the most, and PP is a beautiful trio of campsite clusters. We had a bit of a breeze last year, but could still swim in April. The campsites are among trees that can break the wind up. It could be chilly at night. Look for the lesser double collared sunbirds, Orange river white-eyes, and (I think) blue cheeked bee-eaters.

There are a few halfmens(e) on the koppie to the left as you approach the river to PP.

Enjoy the beauty and remoteness.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Any idea where the name came from? Not your usual campsite name!

Post subject: Re: Question - Potjiespram Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:58 am 

After a night in Springbuck, we are spending our first night in the Park at Sendelingsdrif Rest Camp, but again have been cautioned that the 'noise' from the mining town may prove distruptive ("not in keeping with the experience"). We then move on to De Hoop for two nights. On the 4th, we are booked into Kokerboomkloof. From there we move to PP for one night, but may change this to two nights (to include our last) if SD proves to be 'noisy'. Then its a mad dash to Augrabies Falls to watch the sunset and spend the night in a local B&B before heading back to JHB. You all will have to forgive me if spelling and postings prove to be incorrect, but me techno wizards are at school ...

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Jade and Welcome! Just curious, but why not stay the night at Augrabies rather than a B&B?

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:34 pm 

When we booked for Richtersveld in Jan 2007, Augrabies was already fully booked ... Probibly because it is the Easter Week-end. But as we had no intention of missing the Falls (sunset being the best time), we found this wonderful B&B in the vineyards on the Orange River. AFNP's gates close at 22H00, so we will have our sunset and supper there ... We are also nine adults (incl. children of 12 and 15) and one child (9), so we needed 4 chalets and 1 family unit ... Next time, we will book 11 months in advance (when booking opens). So we learn

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yes, I can appreciate that the booking logistics over a major holiday presented some "challenges" for you Enjoy your trip, don't forget your YR, and please give us a report afterwards. Trip reports for less-visited parks are especially valuable!

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:04 pm 

Forgive a newby, what is YR?
U all will have to give to 'instructions' in posting a trip report when the time comes ... Thanks for all the input!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

YR=a yellow ribbon tied around your driver's side wing mirror. It's how forum members identify each other in the parks. More info here Posting a trip report is just the same as posting any message, only with the addition of some pix. Details on reports and how to post pix are gien in various "sticky" topics. It's really easy! Have a great trip!

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We spent a night in the chalets at Sendlingsdrift April 2006, had no problem with noise other than thunder during the night. Found it very quiet and peaceful. Chalets are great and alongside the Orange River.

Post subject: Trip to RNP in August
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:55 am 

Hi Guys,
We are planning a trip to the RNP in 1st week Aug.
This will be our first trip to the area.
No planning/bookings done yet as we had just decided recently.
Any advice from anyone re state of the roads,camps etc?
We will do it in a Sani but will be solo.Is this advisable?
Any advice will be welcome.
Thanks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:53 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Maart,
Welcome to the forum.This thread has a bit of info for you: Trip Report Index Arid Parks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum Maart.

Sani will be OK, Roads are for 4x4, level 2-3.

We did SD, PP, & DH.

Campsite at PP & DH are great, but SD is in the middle of noise/mining activity. Ablutions have no lights nor hot water. The river is swimable. Look out for endemic Orange river white-eyes.

See my report circa May 2006.

Take a lot of petrol, supply in SD is intermittent. Fill up at PN or Alex Bay.

There were 2 vehicles in our party, but we saw quite a few others. It might be a good idea to advertise details of your trip here on the forum to see if anyone else is going at the same time.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Maart,

Welcome to our crazy corner of the internet. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

We where in the RNP last August. It was amazingly green as the area had exceptional rain.

To answer some of your questions, the roads are mostly along dry river beds. Thus the roads are sandy. Some sections are quite rocky, and in places we drove down riverbeds with rivulets running down them. There are also some bad corrugations on the roads.
A 4x4 vehicle is not a necessity, but I would suggest one. We met a family traveling in a VW Kombi.
Fuel is only available at Sendelingsdrif, although supply is not guaranteed. As BB has suggested, fill at Port Nolloth or Alexanderbay.

We stayed over at Pokkiespram and De Hoop. The camp sites at Pokkiespram is in the riverine bush. You can hear the river, but not see it. Just watch for the resident vervets, they tend to raid campsites. Ablutions is available but showers are cold water only.
At De Hoop the camp is also on the banks of the river, with lovely views of the river and surrounding mountains. Ablutions are similar to Pokkiespram.
We visited Kokerboomkloof. The camps are lovely situated amongst giant boulders. Here you have to supply your own water. There are chemical longdrop toilets available here. We will definitely spend at least one night here when we visit again.

Richtersberg is also on the banks of the river, some 8km upstream from De Hoop. The camping sites are on thick riversand.
The direct route between the two camps is next to the river. This route is more serious 4x4, especially if there was rain. My parents where in the park in April last year, during the rain. This section took their convoy 4 hours to complete, compared to the 45 min it took us in August with 2 vehicles.

In some places the road are very narrow, like on Browns pass (Also known as Akkedispas). In places the road is only wide enough for a single vehicle. So if you have to let another vehicle pass, look for an appropriate place to pull off the road. Remember the rule off thumb, vehicles going uphill has right of way.

The campsites at Sendelingdrif where still being laid out when we where there. It should be done by the time you get there. SANParks is busy with upgrades to Sendelingsdrif.

To visit the wonderful park you need to be self sufficient. I would suggest you carry enough water, the water available at De Hoop for example is not fit for consumption.
We traveled with 2 vehicles. However as BB stated, we also met a number of vehicles on the roads, but there are roads that is more remote and you might wait a while if you do run into difficulties.

Your vehicle is more than adequate to travel to RNP. AS long as it is mechanically sound, you will be fine.

I suggest you get hold of the Info Maps map of the park. It is available from most outdoor stores. You are supplied with a map when arriving at Sendelingsdrif, but the supplied map we got was a photocopy and was not all that clear. A GPS would be a good addition, but remember, GPS means nothing without a decent map.

This is a magical park. It is amazing to see the plants growing in such an arid world. One of the nice things of this park is that you are allowed to leave your vehicle and explore on foot. Just ensure enough hydration (yes it gets hot even in winter), and mind the snakes and scorpions.

I am sure you will not be disappointed visiting RNP.

Please feel free to sent my your number via PM, and I will gladly share more off our experiences.

Just one question from my side...... Do you mind if I tag along?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:34 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
GReat synopsys Jaco.

Just a thing or two. There are three clustes of campsites at PP. We stayed in the first one (Campsite 1) and found a site along the river bank, if you go past the ablution block and keep going, there are 2 riverside sites there.

The vervets are a pest but a poorly aimed catty gets rid of them. It was a long weekend when we were there in April/May and recently rained. The ablutions at DH were stuck, because of overcrowding.

Don't leave black bags of rubbish behind when you go out for the day, or you will have to pick it up from all over - the vervets. Take it in your vehicle rather..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thx BB. We only got a big enough spot in Block 3, nice in the bush.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 36  Next