Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Richtersveld - Towing between De Hoop and Richtersberg
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:20 pm 

Hi there we towed a offroad trailer to Dehoop with no problems also going solo and it was a first time that we tryed it and enjoy it very mutch. We went to Richterberg from Dehoop via the long way and met other vehicles with trailers and offroad caravans. Will not advice to take the river road when you travel solo. Got stuck 2 times in sand but that was great make sports off it and enjoy it. Got out with highlift jack and spades. want to go back there!!.

Post subject: Re: Richtersveld advice
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:41 pm 

Be sure to show your yellow ribbon! We plan to do so over the period 25 Sept - 29 Sept!
God-willing, leaving for RTP in a month and a few hours!

2013 - KNP, Marakele, Moremi
2014 - Sadly no SANParks, Moz & CKGR

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just came back from a Kgalagadi /Ai Ais / Richtersveld tour. The RTP roads are in a terrible state - it is clear that it is carrying heavy traffic. Even the less used route to Potjespram has changed into a corrugated over-used dirt road. The RTP urgently needs rain to wash away the terrible corrugations - the sooner the better.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Agree on the state of the roads being terrible.
On all roads that also allows vehicles for the mining activities you find the roads very corrugated.

The mining companies are making money in RNP but I never saw them doing some basic road maintenance there.

Post subject: Richtersveld driving times and road conditions
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:24 pm 

Hello

I am planning a visit to Richtersveld in July 2011.

We are planning to drive from Sendelingsdrift into the park via R1 and R2 to the Hand Of God, then via R13, R14 and R15 through the Helsberg Pass and out through Helskloof Gate.

From there we plan to drive to Eksteenfontein and stay overnight.

Next day we will drive to Vioolsdrift via the Helskloof Pass.

We will have a rented 4x4 bakkie but we are inexperienced 4x4 drivers.

Can somebody please advise me:

How long will it take from Sendelingsdrift via the Hand Of God and Helsberg Pass to Helskloof Gate, and what are the road conditions like?
How long will it take from Helskloof Gate to Eksteenfontein and what are the road conditions like?
How long will it take from Eksteenfontein to Vioolsdrift via Helskloof Pass ad what are the road conditions like?
How long will it take to drive from Vioolsdrift to Springbok?

Many thanks!

Post subject: Re: Richtersveld driving times and road conditions
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forum myall.

I have not been to the Helsberg part of the park. Some areas you are able to drive quite fast (50) but others are low range first gear stuff, like some of the passes.

I suggest you familiarize yourselves with 4x4 driving as there are times when you WANT to brake or clutch and it is the wrong thing to do.

Vioolsdrift to Springbok will take you 2 hours on the good tar road, including stops to photograph the greater kestrels, pale chanting goshawks, jackal buzzards and their raptor competitors that sit on the electricity poles. There is nothing reliable at Vioolsdroft or Steinkopf, so make sure you can get to Springbok.

Post subject: Re: Richtersveld driving times and road conditions
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:54 am 

Hi myall,

Welcome. Did you get answers to your specific questions about the travel times?

We have just completed a trip through the Richterveld and followed most of the routes you are enquiring about.

If you still need answers, please send me a private mail (click on the pm button below this post). I can have a look on my GPS trip logs etc to give you very good estimates on most of your routes, both inside the park and the route to Eksteensfontein and Vioolsdrift & Springbok.

At first glance, I can't help wondering why you travel so far every day? I would have tried to stay over inside the park at least one night? Or return to Sendelingsdrift? Mind you, camping there in winter may be quite cold!

Regards

2013 - KNP, Marakele, Moremi
2014 - Sadly no SANParks, Moz & CKGR

Post subject: Richtersveld: Sendlingsdrift to Fish River Canyon
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:52 am 

Hi, my wife and I have booked 5 days in the Ai Ais Transfrontier National Park - April 2011. Does anyone know whether one can take the pont into Namibia from Sendlingsdrift and then travel to the Fish River Canyon, and also maybe give me an indication of how far this is and travelling time. We are wanting to leave Sendlingsdrift early morning, visit the canyon and return the afternoon. Is this possible?

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Richtersveld: Sendlingsdrift to Fish River Canyon
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi bigwig, providing the pontoon is in operation it is possible but you would hardly have time to spend @ the Fish River gorge. You will have to do all the paperwork to enter Namibia and then the same story to get back into SA. Having no control over how fast that proses will be, how fast you can get across the river (there could be other groups wanting to cross as well) and also the distance to travel, I would not recommend it - to many uncertainties. An option may be to sleep over @ Ai-Ais or Hobas for one night - either camping or in a chalet. Travel distance to Ai - Ais is about 150 km, should take you about 3 hours. Add another hour (70km) to get to the viewpoints.

Getting to the Fish River gorge from the pontoon: On the Namibian side of the pontoon crossing you follow the D212 in the direction of Aussenkehr. Go through the control point (stop, sign the book), then continue on the D212. You could follow the scenic 4x4 shortcut along the Gamkab ravine, leaving the D212 @ S28 16 27.1 E17 22 06.3. You will not save any time doing this as traveling is slow via the shortcut but very scenic. With the current floods going this option may be closed for some time. Alternatively continue on the D212 to the D207, turn left and then turning left on the D316 towards the C10/M97. Turning left on the C10 takes you to Ai Ais but to really see the gorge you will have to turn right, continue towards Hobas, then to one of the viewpoints. Ai -Ais has been renovated and is really worth a visit. We spent 4 glorious days there in August 2010. All travelling is on dirt roads.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:41 pm 

Thank you very much for the great info.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The Hobas camp site is close to the 'main' (spectacular) viewing sites and is quite adequate.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi bigwig,

I've not done this route myself, but just read about some nasty section before Aussenkehr in outdoor magazines. You should be able to get some good advice from the farm owners at Aussenkehr about the road conditions.

Floods in the Fish river are dependent on rain fall in Sentral Namibia and can be expected from April if there were heavy rain in the summer months.

I did the Fish river canyon hike once early in May when the river was still full after heavy rains during late summer. We had to drink some nice coffee coloured water during the trip, but at least had enough water than other years when the Fish can be dry.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@ bigwig it is a pleasure!

The reason why I'm mentioning the little shortcut: This image from the Gamkab ravine - very spectacular! There are the most beautiful rocks and pebbles all over.

If you go slow, look closely, this harsh are reveals a wonder world. These salt stalagmites are up to 15mm tall.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@Weskusklong,

Great shots of the Gamkab ravine. I also wanted to do this route myself and will contact you when we decide to visit both Richtersveld and Fish River Canyon to get information on GPS coordinates.

We've visited Richtersveld twice and on the last trip in 2006 was greeted by lots of flowers after the rains.

At the last T junction before travelling down to De Hoop we came across a car, which was damage by floods a few weeks back. It looked like a brand new Mazda Drifter and must have been quite an ordeal for the people in the car.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@Son godin, you can contact me any time for more info.

Thank for sharing! Jip there are many similar horror stories from the Park. That junction you are referring to is with the "Kook rivier (boiling river)" which leads to De Hoop.

Regarding the current flood, saw this on another forum today :

" spoke with an employee of SANPARKS this morning who is permanently stationed at Sendelingsdrift.
He says the river is really something to see and apparently he's been given the task to place pics on the Sanparks website. He says he saw something float down the river that resembles the roof of the ablutions at De Hoop"

A flash flood can surprise you any time and that idea always linger in my mind when we camp in the RTP. Saw a trip report where people camping at De Hoop saw the water coming down the Gariep on the horizon and could only just save them selves. Lost all their camping gear. Luckily for them it was still daytime when it happened. A bakkie at Potjespram was ripped to pieces by the same flood. The next day they saw signs that the water came down the Kook rivier as well - meters deep. (Thats the "road" to De Hoop). Looking at the dates I think it was in the same flood as you are referring to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 36  Next