Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lions attacking cars at Nossob June 2012
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Could also be due to residual smell from dead birds that are stuck behind cars grilles , also the many insects ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

KG - could it be territorial behavior??

I have seen with my own eyes how the lions in a private reserve took a bite and punctured a vehicle's tyre. I later chatted to the owner of the vehicle and asked if they had dogs. Yup, dogs likes to "mark their territory" against anything that enters their domain.

Made sure that the wheels and underside of my vehicle are kept "scent free" :) and never had a problem.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:41 pm 

cheetah2111 thanks for that :wink: we definitely wont be putting biltong in the boot when we're at Crocodile Bridge in December :lol:

Thanks ndloti this is also very interesting indeed and makes sense :)

and avon vosloo my husband is of the same opinion that Lions detect dogs scent on tyres etc :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:09 pm 

On the 29th May we had just lef the Rosyntjiebos camp on the Nossob 4x4 Echo trail. About 30 minutes into the trail we came across 3 lionesses. (Adult and two almost fully grown cubs) The one "cub" showed interest in the guide's vehicle, but when he moved off she lost interest. One of the other "cubs" walked around the back of the Landy and came to play with a Tsamma melon right next to the drivers door. After a short while she stared me down then walked to the back of the vehicle, where she lay down at the rear tyre and took a swipe at the mudflap. The next second she took a bite and tore a strip from the top to bottom of the mudflap. I revved the engine and slowly moved forward. She then took the piece of mudflap and moved off into the grass, where they eventually disapeared. My Land Rover has a Soul... part of which is now in the Kalahari

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:10 pm 

Defender TAZ wrote:
My Land Rover has a Soul... part of which is now in the Kalahari

Thats beautiful Defender TAZ :thumbs_up:

We definitely left our hearts behind...what an awesome place :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:20 am 

I do hope that these Lions don't get out of hand.
In June 2010 South of Nossob (just North of the Marie's draai turnoff) we encountered around 6 lions which also didn't leave the cars alone. They tore off someone's mud flap and played with it tug-of-war.
The one lioness jumped over the front of my trailer between the car and the trailer. She then even took a bite at one of the door handles of my camping trailer. Bite marks still visible.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:45 pm 

I think that Lions know which cars have soft bumpers and floppy bits that come off easily ... they probably just see it as a big mobile toy there to play with. I know Elephants rip up plastic water pipes just because they can. Just like we humans pop those plastic bubble wrap bubbles... :roll:
We have friends who have a cottage in the bush - they left some meat in the freezer which broke down - the local Hyenas smelt the rotting meat and chewed through the hardwood back door, got inside and chewed a hole in the fridge to get at the meat !!

Then again lion teeth marks on your trailer/4x4 bumper - priceless ! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:03 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum MiTQ's.

I suspect your lionesses were sub adult males, who seem to be undisciplined 'teenagers' in the Nossob area. They have been known to do their bumper thing at Cubitjie Quap, the next waterhole north of where you saw them, and I saw them going for tyres at Rooikop (just south of Nossob) last November. They had just destroyed the water pump and were playing with the ball when the cars arrived.

Just naughty boys!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:18 pm 

Quote:
Bush Baptist wrote:
Welcome to the forum MiTQ's

I suspect your lionesses were sub adult males, who seem to be undisciplined 'teenagers' in the Nossob area. They have been known to do their bumper thing at Cubitjie Quap, the next waterhole north of where you saw them, and I saw them going for tyres at Rooikop (just south of Nossob) last November. They had just destroyed the water pump and were playing with the ball when the cars arrived.

Just naughty boys!

Quote:

Thanks Bush Baptist :gflower:

So those "just naughty boys" are regulars in the area then :lol: Just goes to show how destructive they can be

Its been interesting reading everyones posts and experiences. :thumbs_up:

Must say we're rather relieved they didnt chew and play with our car :wink:

We stayed at Rooiputs campsite 1 on the 29th May and the 'long drop' has the front piece of the toilet seat chewed off!!! Its been roughly repaired with masking tape :hmz:

Lions or Hyenas obviously been busy there as well :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A couple of years ago north of Shingwedzi in Kruger , a young hyena started chewing on the rubber-end of my Landy's bumper and cracked the orange plastic signal light .
Then , during our next trip to Kruger , at a lion sighting , a huge male came up to our vehicle and started chewing on the top of mainlight/mudguard , leavings teeth/scratchmarks which are still visible :evil:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:12 am 

Friends had the same experience at Bitterpan - they woke during the night to a loud hissing noise. It was a tyre on their vehicle blowing off air after a lion toook a bite at it. Been told long ago to spray tyres and plastics Dyaroach every second day or so toe prevent this.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:38 am 

antonf wrote:
Friends had the same experience at Bitterpan - they woke during the night to a loud hissing noise. It was a tyre on their vehicle blowing off air after a lion toook a bite at it. Been told long ago to spray tyres and plastics Dyaroach every second day or so toe prevent this.

Always wondered whether there was something one could spray on the tyres and bumpers :bcool:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

antonf wrote:

What is Dyaroach ? Hmmmm.. :hmz: ..... sounds like cockroach poison , in which case it would be most irresponsible to use :evil:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:47 pm 

okie wrote:
antonf wrote:

What is Dyaroach ? Hmmmm.. :hmz: ..... sounds like cockroach poison , in which case it would be most irresponsible to use :evil:

Yes it would be :naughty:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:48 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I wonder if it is effective anyway? Unless the smell would put them off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 54  Next