Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: LIONS, LEOPARD ETC IN FENCED CAMPS
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:11 pm 

Even when the camp is fenced, you always havet to be aware, tha huge predators are in the camp. Even in Kruger you´ve got some incidents e.g 1998 (I hope it´s the right date) A ranger was killed in Shigwedzi by a Leopard. or my Aunt was surprised in Okaukejo by a Leopard with cups. This camp is also fenced! But I also have to say except Hayenas the possibilty is quite low. But I would be always prepared. With smaler predators it will be different Story. In a camp even in KNP I saw genets, AWC. I Kalhar Jackals, Cape foxes Suricates..... .Even in a Camp will be wildlive!

Post subject: Lion deaths in KTP
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:46 pm 

During our visit to KTP last week four lions at different locations were found dead, indicating the same symptoms, and no reasons had yet been established. Apparently samples were sent to try and determine the reason for their deaths - has anyone heard of any further news, as we found this most distressing.

Post subject: Re: Lion deaths in KTP
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:hmz:

KTP is free of tuberculosis, so thats a no-no. Certainly a worrying development :(

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Whatever tests they are doing will obviously take a while...but I will ask the KTP guru after a time if we have heard no news.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:40 pm 

We visited KTP from 11-10 to 18-10 and saw a dead lion near Houmoed. His brother was mourning at the waterhole without hardly moving for 30 hours. The story went that is was bitten by a snake, perhaps a rumour?
We had a great trip witk Grootkolk and Urikaruus as absolute highlights. As regular visitors of Kruger we found the amount of game and cats a bit scarce, but the scenery, the lack of crowd and an amazing thunderstorm took the balance to a very positive result. Many happy returns we wish ourselves.

Peter and Monique

23-27 Shingwedzi
27-30 Letaba
30-04 Satara
04-08 Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Gee thats a bit of a worry. Its known that cub mortality rate in Kgalagadi is high but I really hope this is just a case of coincidence or unusual timing. Cant wait to hear some feedback from KTP Guru to fill this story out with some facts----

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:40 pm 

The guys on Outdoorphotography have posted photographs of two males fighting and the younger one ending up dead the next day. One other lion seen shaking and vomiting (according to ranger these symptoms indicate snake bite) and also ending up dead.

Last year I also saw a dead lion at 13de boorgat, no idea what caused the death though.

Many lions (animals) probably die in the dunes as well and we never see it; part of the cycle of life. Hopefully nothing more sinister.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thx Mybs. As you say, so much stuff happening on a daily basis that we will never know about....all away from the roads and in those endless dunes . Timeless and humbling stuff.----

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:30 pm 

Anyway, when the mortaltiyrate increase rapidly without any knowledge why, it´s always a scarry sign. we have to be carefull that no sickness is the cause.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Cant wait to hear some feedback from KTP Guru to fill this story out with some facts----

KTP guru is away for a while but will answer as soon as he can I am sure

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just in from KTP guru
Hot here, and the storms are quite spectacular. Everything else is doing quite well.
Regarding the lions:
Autopsies have been done, and samples sent to vetinary authorities for analysis. Our vets have been here to take blood and tissue samples from live lions as well. In order for the tests to be as exhaustive as possible, it will of necessity take some time. We will however issue a formal press release the moment we receive one from the necessary authorities.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:56 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Interesting subject. Some good answers have been given. It might also be lack of food in their territory, but I doubt it.

I hope that the results come back clear and it is just natural selection and old age.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks very much to KTP guru and Dotty. Its great to have the feedback and is much appreciated :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:01 pm 

We also observed the dying lion at Houmoud. First the day before it died and then the morning the day it died. It appeared tired the day before. The next morning it seemed as if it had gone mad or rather as if it had lost all sense of balance. It tried many times to stand up, but kept on running in circles.It alsmost looked as if it was dancing. All atempts to walk straight failed and it even tried to move backwards until it was to exhausted. Then it just sat down. It also throw up several times. The rest of it's family, three females and a large male slowly approached the dying lion in the morning the day it died. They all were very tense and appeared confused due to the odd movements of the sick one. One after the other, they came to sniff on him and laid down very close to him. The big male lion seemed very attached to him, because it didn't leave, even when all the females left and walked away. When it finally left it stoped every now and then, looked back and called for the sick lion to come along. It tried but was to exhausted to even stand up. We then heared that it died in the afternoon. I'm also awaiting the results of the otopsy and hope for the best. / greetings Maria

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A Warm Welcome to the forums Mia :) sad about the lions :( (but we await the results of the tests) :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 54  Next