Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: LIONS, LEOPARD ETC IN FENCED CAMPS
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:49 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Just be aware of where you are, in the African wilderness, and keep children within your sight at night, even in the camps. I have not heard of any mishaps, but in December my son (31) went out in the morning gloom at 2R, and saw a moosa hyena sniffing next door's dustbin. It slipped away after seeing him.
Jackals, African wildcats and smaller stuff are seen in the camps, so don't turn your back on your meat or your braai will be over.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:36 pm 

Hey Caracal - where are you?
I am waiting for your 'witty' and humorous reply.
I am very nervous,scared and pumped with adrenaline going to the Kgalagadi, knowing the lions there are just as big as 'elephants'.
I've been in KNP many a times and never felt this way. Maybe it is the unknown and the scary stories? :

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:17 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

The only serious night time activity that I am aware of has been a spotted hyena doing the dustbin thing in Mata Mata. But never heard of anybody feeling threatened by it (YET)

The BBJ's in Nossob are not a threat at all, even if they are a nuisance, and TR is quiet at night.

Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Rieks

We camped in Mata Mata last July/Aug and had a night time visit from a spotted hyaena, who went around the camp tipping over the dustbins. I woke up to a bang and crash next to the tent, looked out the window, and saw tawny coloured fur on pads....... ....I thought there was a lion outside the tent ....until it came a little closer, then I could see it was a hyaena. Amazing how big they look when you are sitting on the floor looking up at them and all thats between you it a strip of canvas.....We spoke to a very friendly gent at Twee Rivieren, could have been Kalahari Guru/Jannie??, who said they were going to dart it and release it near Unions End, so Mata Mata might be quiet again!!

On our Jan trip, there were jackals in Nossob camp.

Its Africa out there.........

A couple of picks of the aftermath of the hyaena raid at Mata Mata...
Image Paw print next to our tent

ImageThe left overs of our cooler-box after the hyaena had ripped it open

Image hurricane hyaena

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:32 pm 

Oh I am here..just busy packing camera batteries chargers etc.!!! 3 more sleeps )
Just to add my little bit..I have heard that there was a leopard and a cub found in a storage shed at Nossob..both escaped without harming anybody. Not sure if this is fact or fiction though. I do feel pretty safe in the fenced camps. I have quite often walked to the waterhole at Nossob in the dead of night..not ever seen anything either outside or inside the camp on those occassions. Plenty of jackals around at supper time though. I do think the jackal problem is better controlled now than what it used to be . It is in the unfenced camps that lions tend to scare the living daylights out of me
Do be with careful with the four year old at the unfenced picnic spots though....many forumites have had some scary experiences there.

Oh yes the KTP lions are majestic.....does this gentle face scare you

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:44 pm 

quote Caracal-I have quite often walked to the waterhole at Nossob in the dead of night..

Outside the fenced camp or to the lookout? If outside the cam ... what were you doing there?

I'm ready for this experience and truely ... I CAN'T WAIT!!! But, first it's KNP the Easter weekend.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:54 pm 

Sorry ..let me rephrase that..I have quite often walked down to the BIRDHIDE at the waterhole...and that is allowed. No breaking of rules there!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:57 am 

Caracal and Rieks
While we where at Nossop earlier in the month the lions allowed no one out of the camp by waiting at the gates and playing with the walkway to the hide

The young lions where playing with the poles on the walkway and managed to loosen some of them. some of them where also stalking us in the walkway.

It was an amazing experience but I am afraid that the younger lions are growing up without enough fear of humans and could become a problem.

But they where beautiful! (and naughty!!)

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:09 pm 

Hi Carolz

The pictures are stunning!!!

I've read in an article (I think it was the 'Getaway') some time ago, that in Botswana they had to eliminate lions due to the fact that they weren't afraid of humans anymore. These lions raided the camps and stayed around in the area. People were feeding them to attract them to the camping sites, not cleaning thoroughly after making meals and not disposing of all leftovers (food) Very sad!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
@carolz - Beautiful pix! Really liked the eye thru the walkway sticks! I hope these young lions do not become a problem!

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:56 pm 

Amazing pics, but a bit scary too - hope they do not stay around Nossob all the time tho

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:02 pm 

The pride of lions currently around Nossob right now may well become a problem in future. They are very curious and when we were there less than 2 weeks ago we not only had them all around the hide (and following people walking through the hide) but also camped out at the fence all night, starring inside intently. With my long lens I could get real close - some others chose to walk way too close to the fence for what can reasonably be considered safe - given that the fence is around 1.7 metres and not much of a barrier to a lion with intent. They appeared particularly interested in kids running around. It would be a shame if the wilderness feel of the camp is destroyed through high fences and electric wire. Lets respect the wildlife, we're in their territority after all. Things have been fine there for many many years so if one sticks to a few basic guidelines, nothing to worry about! Still a great family camp!

My suggestion - stay away from the fence (say 10-20 metres), let the lions be, and no kids running around at dusk or after night fall!

BTW - the lions above were mostly juveniles/adolescents, and their apparent curiosity will probably wane as they mature.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:31 pm 

Hi Vundla1
Great photos
I would hate it if any of these young lion would have to be destroyed in the future, these little guys have grown up around the camp and have no fear of humans. Should something not be done to stop them coming to close to humans. (Ok I know that we should not be going so close to them - I agree with you there!)
What about a tempory electric wire a meter or so from the fence or setting off some loud firecrackers when they are at the fence. Something that would deter them from being so interested in us
What does everyone else think?
I really hope you are right about their curiosity waning as they mature.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

.... and then there's Grootkolk.... the video footage and pictures posted on the forum speak for itself. Sure it must be awesome, but lets hope and pray that all the adventure and excitement do not end in tragedy. I am no expert, IMHO adolescents will not "get used" to or lose interest in humans when they become adults. They can pose an even greater danger and who will pay the price if something should happen? Shoot a whole pride? :shock:
Recently a resident leopard had to be shot in Tamboti Tented Camp KNP to protect visitors from potential danger.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:18 pm 

Interesting news on Tamboti!

One needs to perhaps also remember that there are no fences in Botswana parks, nor in many Zim parks (Mana Pools etc.), and very little if anything has happened there.

I believe that the impression that any predator is out to attack humans is misplaced; even walking through the bush it would be unlikely that one were to be attacked, unless literally stumbling on a pride of lions that are hungry (in most cases they'll run away).

There's a natural curiosity among adolescent cats compared to adults; but uncontrolled interaction between humans and cats may eventually break down their natural fear. I'm far more worried about hyenas (at night) than lions (day or night).

My view is that in a game reserve, an animal should only be erradicated as a very last resort, after every other alternative (even if costly) has been examined.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 54  Next