Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
Hi Pat

I would try to add at least an extra day. My suggestion:

TR
Nossob
Grootkolk
Grootkolk
Urikariuus
Urikariuus
MM or KTC
TR

Grootkolk to U distance is just doable for us, and if you can stay 9 or 10 days, extra nights at Nossob and TR. (TR has been very productive for us - 3 super leopard sightings ,apart from lots of lions, cheetah and honey badger) I must add that one trip we only went for a long weekend,and were blown away with awesome sightings. So, whatever time you have, going to KTP is worth it! Enjoy!

F2/2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:15 am 

Hi Pjw,

as the forumties mentioned all camps are worth a visit.
Maybe it is worth to think about Kieleikrankie instead of TR for your last night. Your way out from there is your last game drive. And believe me, Kgalagadi saves its best things for last

Enjoy your trip!

kgalagadi wildlife pics now at http://www.michapro.de

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:32 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In my opinion that is to much driving, remember the roads are a bit bouncy so your body does tend to get a bit tired if you drive to much, you will also have to pack up before leaving camp every day, missing the best viewing times in the morning.

First up, I would swap the night at grootkolk for nossob .
In my opinion its just to much driving to run up to grootkolk for an evening, and miss out on the prime viewing around nossob.

I would also try add another night onto the trip, an extra night in the beginning would be good, perhaps make Augrabies 1 night as that is enough to see the falls the afternoon you arrive, and then do the drive to moon rock and other views the following morning, departing for Kalahari just before lunch.
Make your evening at TR 1 night earlier to accommodate your mornings drive in Augrabies, and then add the extra night in at MM or KTC.
If you don't add another night onto KTP, then leave earlyish from Augrabies after your two evenings there and you will have enough time to go straight up to matta matta or KTC rather than TR, why not try stay at KTC the whole time, as it is the same area as matta matta, but with nicer accomodation.

If you want a bush camp experience, do kielie krankie on the last night instead of TR, that will also leave you with a good area to drive the following morning.
The other option for a bush camp is to stay at Urikarus rather than Matta Matta/KTC.

I see to many people make the mistake of going to KTP for the first time and move from camp to camp just to try see the whole park, and end up missing out, I made that mistake myself !
Rather tell yourself you will do this section now, and then plan another trip for the other sections later.

I really have found that you need 3 days minimum in any specific area to allow it to reveal itself to you.

Last edited by bucky on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:39 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

With Bucky here.
Either go for MM or Tented Camp
In the same area and only 4 km between them.
We did Augrabies, departed in the morning, did shopping at the
Pick&Pay Upington and arrived early afternoon at TR.

Why not a few days at TR, Nossob and KT each.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for that advice. We are rapidly coming to understand we need 10 days in KTP and may have to either delay the trip or try move it to July09, depending on booking availability as we are still bound by school holidays. Hopefully we can move it to July next year. Will be checking the accomodation pages later today

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi: Best camps
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2012)
How does this itenery sound??

1st night Twee Riveren - chalet
2nd night Urikaruus
then
3 nights Mata Mata - camping
3 nights Nossob -camping
2 nights Grootkolk
2 nights Nossob - camping
2 nights Kielie Krankie
1 night Twee Riveren- chalet
then home!!

I'm like a small child I can't wait!!!!

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684

and

Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Post subject: best scenic bush campsites
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:36 pm 

Hi everyone

What are the best scenic bush campsites to stay for a few nights (we are fully autonomous for weeks) and from where to explore the nearby area early morning and in the late afternoon? Where are exactly all these superb red and orange dunes and endless landscapes? If these places exist, are they also good for game viewing?

Paul

Post subject: Re: best scenic bush campsites
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The most scenic wilderness camp is Kieliekrankie, Paul. But the game is very modest to say at least.

On the other hand the Auob riverbed is very close.

My favourite is Grootkolk. Very scenic, great game sightings and a lot to discover in the surrounding area.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:56 pm 

I'm not sure if other forumites consider Kalahari Tented Camp to be a true 'wilderness camp' (because of its relative closeness to Mata Mata), but it's certainly one of our favourites in terms of its scenic setting and the wonderful game we have seen in the area. One question, Paul: you refer to 'scenic bush campsites' - are you talking about places where you can camp using your own equipment? Because the only camps (as far as I know) in the South African part of Kgalagadi where you can do this are the 'traditional' camps, i.e. Twee Rivieren, Mata Mata and Nossob. In all the other bush or wilderness camps you stay in permanent tented accommodation.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:17 pm 

We intend to use our own equipment, which includes a big tent on an off-road trailer. The idea is to find the most scenic 'bush campsite' (whichever side, ZA or Botswana), stay there at least 3 nights and explore from there.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:51 pm 

Hi paulgodard

If you intend to use your own tent I would say Polentswa on the Botswana side would be best. From there you can travel North on the SA side to Unions End or South towards Nossob.

This is a true wilderness camp with no fences. The best camp site is No.1 it overlooks the pan and you have regular visitors to the camp at night.
The wilderness camps on the SA side have 4 fixed tents come bungalows and no camping is not allowed.

Feel free to PM me for any more info.

Bigal

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sorry paulgoddard, can't help you with your bush campsite query but do have a question for Bigal and his reply could be helpful to you as well

Bigal...paul mentioned that they use a tent on top of a trailer. Is it not so that trailers are not allowed on the Polentswa Wilderness Trail? That must be a bit of a disappointment for those wanting to camp with the trailer camper in the traditional camps as well as doing the Wilderness camps on the Botswana side Bit of a hassel to fit everything into your 4x4 vehicle I would imagine.
Look forward to hearing how you do this

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:43 am 

Hi Dreamer

Strange to hear that, i have spoken to a number of KTP fans who have taken 4x4 caravans to Polentswa and not had any problems and i have been there with a 4x4 trailer before, maybe this is something new. I think it could only be for the trail but the camp is before the trail. Will find out for sure tomorrow and will post it here .

Bigal

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:25 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Having one of those moments am I?
Now it all falls into place and I am so happy
The Kgalagadi Official Information Guide on page 11 discusses the Botswana Camps and I read it incorrectly!! It clearly states "No trailers are allowed" for the Kaa, Polentswa and Mabuasehube 'trails'I did not pay attention to the word trails and read it to be those camps!
Thats great as we are really keen to "one day" get a 4x4 trailer with tent and explore those areas of KTP.
Have you taken a trailer to all these camps before?
Now I know who to come to for first hand advise...THANKS

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:21 am 

Hi Dreamer

I have been to Rooiputs and Polentswa with a 4x4 trailer/caravan.
Just spoke to a friend who said they have been upto Bosobogolo on the Mabuasehube trail with a trailer but you can't go futher than that with a trailer.
Hope this helps will try find out more and will let you know.

Bigal

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next