Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Caravaning in KTP
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:56 pm 

This isn't really a reply to andrewgwizz - just a story of one of our experiances. Way back when, in the dark ages, we used to caravan a lot, towing what we called a pimple on the back of our Toyota 4x4. In those days the roads were bad, but we made it all the way to Nossob. (Remember, the road from Upington was not tarred at all, then)! However, we stayed mostly at Mata-Mata, our favourite camp, right next to the fence, and we were always lucky with our game sightings. However, on one trip, the whole caravan left it's chassis, fortunately hanging on by a thread, and we had to tie it down with some old barbed wire we found on a fence! We travelled all the way back to Bethlehem like that, then found a friendly farmer who did a welding job on it for us. Those were the days and how we miss all the excitment. Go for it, andrewgwizz, and have a ball!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You can go to KTP in a conventional motorhome. I passed an elderly couple in their motorhome on the last part of the notorious road to Twee Rivieren last year in May. I was doing about 80 kph (with my D/C pickup) and they were surely not travelling faster than 30 kph.

If you are prepared to travel very slowly on the bad pieces of road, you can do it. But my advice will be to ensure that everything (especially the breakables) are thoroughly packed. Watch out for the hinges of your fridge and cupboards. And ensure that your fridge is empty when travelling - rather put your stuff in a cooler box.

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi - suitable for young kids?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:41 pm 

simonh wrote:
Hi there - we plan to travel to namibia in october with a 4y old and rent a motorhome. Would kgalagadi be OK for a motorhome (not 4x4) - I see a lot of discussion on bad roads! And are there many accessible roads other than the main one from mata mata to twee rivieren. Any experience with young kids there? We haev both done etosho in our child free years and looking for somewhere a litte different. Thanks

Hi Simon,

we are just back from Kgalagadi. We have also been many times travelling with a motorhome in several parks in southern Africa. But I would't go to Kgalagadi with a camper. The roads (there are 2 roads, 1 to Mata Mata and 1 to Nossob and Grootkolk). You can go to 2Rivieren but travelling in the park is not easy with a camper. The road to Nossob is on several places very bad. The road to Mata Mata is better and should be possible but very very slowly. But the roads are sometimes so bad that everything is shaking and for a camoer it's not good.
When you are lucky, sometimes the grader has graded the road, but than you have a lot of luck.

Post subject: caravan
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:10 pm 

Please can some one let me know if i can take a 4x2 izuzu 280 and caravan sprite super cross the border from mata mata Kgalagadi to Namibia then onto the Richersveld this coming december starting on the 24 for 3 days then 2 days namibia then 3 days richers velt glen-peter

Last edited by Dotty on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
removed email address

Post subject: Re: caravan
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:53 pm 

You will get your Sprite to the gate of the Richtersveld park, but I would not take it any further than that. You can camp at the gate and do day trips into the park itself from there. If you come in from the Rosh Pinah side you can cross on the pont and camp in the Sendelingsdrift campsite. From Mata Mata it`s 680km to the Orange river via the B4 and C13 through Aus. I do not know if this route is suitable for your vehicle and caravan.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:51 pm 

Thank you Dave info most welcome still i have read all available information on travel to the richtervelt but nothing conclusive now i am booked and paid for camping from 6th Dec starting at Marakele through to Mapungubwe Pafuri river camp Punda Maria ,Shingweddzi,Letaba,Satara, Skukuza, out the 23rd Dec. then 2 days to travel to Kgalagadi 3 days now its the route from there through to Keetmanshoop . the road to Luderitz ok but from Luderitz to Rosh Pinah to sendeling and to Port Noloth with a normal caravan from there through to Cape Town garden Route then Back home

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I would only take a normal caravan to Twee Rivieren in Kgalagadi. You will shake it up badly trying to take it to Mata Mata and especially Nossob.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:12 pm 

Hi, As BB says its you'd shake up your van on Mata Mata road. I was on the road between Mata Mata and K'hoop in May. It's gravel but very good. Road to Luderitz from K'hoop tarred all the way. So too the road between Aus and Rosh Pinah recently tarred too. That's as far as I know but would'nt take a van further to pont and Richtersveld

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:20 pm 

thank you all so i am going to leave my caravan at home on the way through jhb then take my tent and spend a few extra days in namibia and see what it is like after an absenceof 20 years since i was last there this time its just my wife and grand daughter and its our 35 wedding annaversery from mata mata to windhoek the swakop walvis luderitz richtervelt cape tow garden route east london then back home 6 weeks + -

Post subject: KTP - Off-road trailers
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Is one permitted to tow an off-road trailer on the 4x4 roads to the Wilderness Camps?

I worked out that hiring an off-road trailer would be a lot cheaper than hiring a second 4x4 vehicle. Four of us might just get all our clobber in my vehicle (Toyota double cab 4x4) but a trailer would just make things a bit easier.

KTP May 2015

Post subject: Re: KTP - Off-road trailers
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hello Hippotragus
We have only ever been to Urikaruus, Grootkolk, KK and KTC Wilderness Camps all of which are accessible with 2x4 vehicles. We have seen 4x4 trailers parked in these camps. However, I don't know about the Wilderness Camps that you require a 4X4 vehicle, i.e. Gharagab and Bitterpan. I think not.... something in the back of my mind says 4x4 trailers are not allowed on these roads, but I'm not certain of this. I'm sure someone who has been there will answer your question shortly!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Dreamer.

I also think I've seen something somewhere about off-road trailers not being allowed on some roads.

If so, we'll have to be economical with our packing!

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Hippotragus
You may not take a trailer to Gharagab and Bitterpan tented camps however, Nossob has a facility where you leave your trailer while visiting these camps(we received this info from TR but you may want to double check this)We will be doing this next month but as there are only two of us it is relatively easy to transfer the essentials to the back of our vehicle.
On the subject of off road trailers, we would like to appeal to all users to be considerate towards fellow road users.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

PNF

Thanks for your input.

We are only planning to go next year, so I have plenty of time to check the situation.

Perhaps you will have more info on the roads and camps etc. once you have been.

Have a good trip!

Hippotragus.

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

From the KTP home page under "accommodation"

For Bitterpan
Quote:
No Trailers (even 4x4 trailers) will be permitted.

It does not say anything about Gharagab.

Hope that helps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next