Skip to Content

Kgalagadi for 4 days

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld

Moderator: hilda

Kgalagadi for 4 days

Unread postby Stewymac » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:00 am

Hi, we will be in Kgalagadi for 4 days in Sept. We will drive from JB to Vryburg or Kuruman, then to Twee Rivieren. We will then have 2 nights in Twee rivieren and 2 nights in Mata Mata. Then exit to Namibia. Can anyone suggest possible drives around these 2 camps...morning and afternoon etc. Is it worth it to drive to Nossob and back from Twee Rivieren? or is it too far? Any suggestions, much appreciated,thank

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi for 4 days

Unread postby Hippotragus » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:21 pm

Hi Stewymac.

I have never stayed at TR camp, but obviously have been past it on the way to other camps. From TR you can basically take one of two roads - the Auob River road (which eventually ends at Mata Mata) or the Nossob River road which goes past Nossob camp and ends at Unions End. There are then 2 roads linking those 2 roads - the Lower Dune Road and the Upper Dune Road.

Just outside TR camp, where the 2 river roads meet, is a popular waterhole called Samevloeiing and many good sightings are reported there.

I would definitely do a day drive up the Nossob River road - the map book says allow 4.5 hours each way from TR to Nossob and back. In September camp gates open at 6.30 a.m. and close at 18.30 p.m. - giving you 12 hours of driving. If you did not want to go all the way to Nossob, you could turn off at the Upper Dune Road and return to TR via the Auob River road (which you will be travelling anyway on your way to Mata Mata.

When you arrive at TR buy a park map book - it is full of useful information - distances, waterholes, picnic sites, history, mammals, birds, plants etc. etc.

Have a wonderful trip and if you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask them here.
Last edited by Hippotragus on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Kruger Gate (day visitor) 24-28 August 2015
Skukuza 14-18 October 2015
Satara 18-21 October 2015

Unread postby Mez » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi Stewymac,
Welcome to the forums!
I've just got back from my first trip to KTP and you've come to the best place for advice.
I echo what Hippotragus said - I would say that as you will be staying on the Auob side for the second part of your trip it's well worth going up the Nossob side while you're in TR. We also did a loop going up the Nossob side, across the Upper Dune Road and down the Auob side which was a lovely day trip.
I would also highly recommend that you check the sightings boards and adjust your choices based on that rather than having a set idea in your head about where you're going (though of course you can still have great drives where people haven't seen things) - also remember that they get cleared every morning so it's worth checking it the night before.
Oh and remember to check out the travel tales sections to whet your appetite!
Kgalagadi 2015:
June 29th & 30th Twee Rivieren
July 1st & 2nd Mata Mata
3rd & 4th Urikaruus
5th & 6th Nossob
7th Kieliekrankie

July 9th-14th (Main camp)

Counting down already!!!

Unread postby Stewymac » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:25 pm

Hi and thanks for the replies, just had a look and noticed a night at Nossob available, so I have emailed the reservations to see if I can change the 2nd Twee R night to Nossob, might be OK

Return to “Arid Parks”