Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Booking in at Gharagab
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:27 pm 

Hi, we are going to be in Nossob during September (inter alia), from there do the Polentswa Trail and booked in the following night at Gharagab. I have heard that one has to book in at Nossob for Gharagab. Is this true and does that mean we have to travel to Nossob (when we come off the Polentswa trail) to book in for Gharagab and travel all the way back to Gharagab in one day?? This does not make sense at all. Can we not book in for Gharagab whilst we are in Nossob 3 days before we go to Gharagab?
Please clarify this for me. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Booking in at Gharagab
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:34 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Luikatjie,

When you book out at Nossob, to do the Polentswa Trail, tell the reception person at Nossob that you're going to Gharagab after the trail. Then they can indicate this on your permit.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Luikatjie,

Haven't done it that way, but can't foresee a problem. Our neighbours at Gharagab stayed at Polentswa before their arrival at Gharagab. What may help is if you stop at Grootkolk to report that you are on your way to Gharagab for safety reasons.

This will trigger SANParks to sent out a search party if you do not arrive at Gharagab on the date booked. I assume you will be two vehicles doing the 2 day the Polentswa Trail so it should not be a huge problem, but its always good to let Nossob office know from Grootkolk that you have finished the trail.

Last Dec there was a misunderstand about our whereabouts and a search party was sent out to Grootkolk to see if we where not stuck in one of the deep pool along the road after a thunder storm. :redface: The park officials are very concerned about the safety of their visitors and will go out of their way to find you when you stay in their camps. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:53 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. That puts my mind at ease! Yes, we are 3 vehicles travelling the Polentswa trail, after which one party is going to Grootkolk and two are going to Gharagab (of which we're one). I'll advise Nossob before the trail and then advise them at Grootkolk that we're out and going to Gharagab. :D