SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 404 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Kgalagadi: wilderness camps - General
Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:34 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Everybody,

did already somebody stay at these new wilderness camps???
description n location of both camps sounds more than lovely.

wud be very find to get some feedback n if possible some pic.

thanks already in advance for yr help.

Post subject: Re: New Wilderness Camps Urikaruus & kieliekrankie
Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:13 pm 
Have not stayed at them but drove past Urikaruus and it looks really lovely. Only 4 chalets ..........really beatiful scenery. Will definitely stay there next time. I believe Kieliekrankie can be rather unpleasant if it is windy.
Cheers

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:36 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I have been to both camps, but not stayed. Urikaruus is lovely and overlooks its own private waterhole. A friend stayed there recently and enjoyed it but got wet when it rained. He says that when it was being built, the workers had to keep shooing off a leopard that obviously enjoyed it as well! Kieliekrankie is in the dunes and looks nice, but I do not know if it is productive at night, like Urikaruus is reported to be.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:50 am 
We had a wonderful time in Kgalagadi and herewith my personal and very subjective impressions of the following wilderness camps: Grootkolk, Gharagab and Kieliekrankie.

Firstly, I think I should tell you what kind of people we are in the bush - one shoe does not fit all. We are definitely not group animals. Ultimate experience for us is not hearing or seeing other people. Will greet you if you are our neighbour but will not exchange postal address or name my future children after you.
Also to put my views in context, the cold weather played a roll in how we experienced the camps. We live in a tropical area and the minus temperatures in Kgalagadi was a bit of a challenge. I'm sure if you are a visitor from Greenland you will enjoy these "summer temperatures

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Jumbo, that was most informative.

I understand it gets cold at night, and it's not so nice, but if you think you can stand visiting there in mid summer, where do you live when you are at home? In the middle of the Sahara? No really, I am intrigued. I don't think I will be able to handle that summer heat.

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:25 am 
Hi Loams

Let me put it to you this way: The night temperatures in the area were we live is about the same as the day temperatures in Upington at this stage. The one night at Grootkolk was 5 according to the measurement taken at Nossob.

We have visited Kgalagadi in January on a previous occasion. The days were hot, but because of the exposure and low humidity, it cooled down at night and was quite pleasant.

When we booked our trip, we knew it was going to be cold - wasn't a surprise to us. All I tried to say is that I think the cold weather had an influence on how we experienced the facilities at Grootkolk. A person who are used to colder temperatures might think that the facilities are adequate for the R600 p/n you pay.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:07 pm 

Hi Jumbo,

thanks a lot for yr details information about grootkolk, gharagab & kieliekrankie same was really very informative, especially yr "high" & "low" remarks at the end of each description. also for me as north european the night temperatures in grootkolk are very heavy, especially on holidays. also the tranquility, silence, less people sounds phantastic. here i also can highly recommend kruger park in february. although temperatures around 35 degrees n up u will see a lot of animals, especially on waterholes / rivers the whole day. also the restcamps from letaba to the far north are nearly empty (besides the weekends). for example in mopani only 3 couples in the restaurant n there we had the swimming pool for a quick refreshment after gate closing alone for us. heaven on earth.

will book on our trip to kalahari under all circumstances grootkolk, kieliekrankie n urikaruus plus some other camps.

again thanks a lot for yr information.

Post subject: KIELIEKRANKIE and URIKARUUS
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:10 pm 

KIELIEKRANKIE and URIKARUUS are truly amazing. we stayed for a night at each....in the dead cold of winter. Kieliekrankie was freezing. the wind was blowing the whole night but the scenery is amazing. Full moon with just red dunes around you. Urikaruus was my favourite. in the riverbed of the AUOB. Hyenas and Giraffe came to drink at the little waterhole right in front of our cabin. The wardens on duty are helpful and tells you all about the spoor around your little cabin.....scary to see what was crawling around you when it when it was dark. these camps are worth it! Well equipted with everything you need and the silence is awesome.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jumbo how come there isn't a no entry sign at the Killiekrankie entrance road? Is their an entrance road or is it situated on a "main thoroughfare"? Given how much you are paying per person I think it is a grave imposition to have folks coming in to gawk at you!!!!!

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

There are not that many people in Kgalgadi at any one time, and once you are away from Twee-Rivieren, nothing really seems like a main thoroughfare.

Last edited by lam on Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:44 am 
Hi Penny.
Kieliekrankie has an access road that takes you away from the main road. The entrance to this road does have a sign stating that it is only available to reserved guests. As I mentioned, peoples' curiosity, and manners, overcome them, and they drive to the camp to go and have a look. I think Kieliekrankie has a bigger problem concerning this because it is the closest wilderness camp to Twee Rivieren and this area is busier that say the Nossob area.
We even had people who walk through the sheltered entrance right to our door, talking at the top of their voices. I believe they thought nobody home and they are going to have a quick peek at the unit. They got a bit of a surprise when my SO opened the door.
Also had people with a CAW registration number (George) who came in to have there breakfast picnic at the camp. The rest of the people merely drove it and out.
We did complain about this at Twee Rivieren. They told us that they do allow people to go and have a look, but on pre-arrangement.
But Penny, this was a small irritation compared to the positives this camp offer and I will most definitely return to it.

Concerning best units: Kieliekrankie- nr.4, Kalahari Tented Camp - nr.6 (for view of waterhole, honeymoon unit for peace and quiet), Gharagab and Grootkolk - all the units have nice views

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:01 pm 

Stayed at both Kieliekrankie & Urikarus in july 2005. Both camps are great. As reported here, Kieliekrankie is at the top of a dune and has a fantastic view out over the desert. Gives you a great feeling of space and isolation. Accomodation standards really good. The camp looks over a waterhole - only saw jackals and steenbok coming to drink. But the best part is starting on a game drive early in the morning and late in the afternoon far from the crowds - you have this area of the park to yourself early in the am and late in the pm. Saw brown hyena in the dune road late on the way to camp.

Urikarus siting is fantastic - has its own waterhole close to the tents - saw giraffe drinking, wildebeest, springbok from the veranda. Again accomodation great. But we (wife and I)absolutely froze at night (the kids didn't feel it) - the tents "leak" cold air. So take lots of warm clothes in winter + hot water bottles (saved us). Again, you have this area to yourself on early morning and late afternoon game drives. Saw cheetah on the way to camp.

Would stay in both again.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:25 pm 
[quote"markw".... + hot water bottles (saved us).quote]

We forgot to take this!!Had to make do with plastic cool drink bottles and warm tap water as not to melt the plastic. Who ever want to visit these camps in winter should take notice of this valuable advice from markw.
We still need to give this camp a visit.

Post subject: Kgalagadi wilderness camps and routine maintenance
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Have noticed a few comments in the trip reports about the state of repair of some of the wilderness camps

It would seem "small" items are not being repaired on a regular basis

With regard to the camps, think its time a "fault list" was introduced. Each unit would have one
It would seem things are "being left" and repairs not carried out
A fault list could be handed in at Nossob or TR
Parks could be proactive on this and introduce this at all wilderness camps
Its those "small" things that niggle and never seem to be attended to

What do other forumites think?

Steve

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Don't mean to be a bit harsh, but is it not the mainteneance manager's job to ensure that everything is in order? I mean if you're paying good money for accommodation it should be inspected and fixed on a regular basis.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next