Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Newbie asks: October/Nov trip--tent camp, itinerary & more?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:56 pm 

A few questions to the pros, from a newbie, if you don't mind.

We've changed our SA trip to include a week at KTP the end of October/first part of November. We're coming from hot, humid Florida with an outside of about 33-34 C and humidity of about 90% each summer day. However, we are inside with air-conditioning most of the time set at 26-28C. I do work outside for about an hour each day in the 33-34 C weather, drinking lots of fluids and moving slowly to compensate.

Will the KTC tented camp be stifling? During the heat of the day we will sitting in the shade, quietly reading a book or napping be enough to keep cool? Taking a cool shower and lying under a fan? What about at night? Will it be above 30C? In Florida our house interior humidity is usually at at least 65%, and we keep our a/c to a cool 23-26 C. What some people claim is "sweltering" we Floridians call "mild". I remember being in the Amazon jungle, where the steamy days became a chilly nights of 20 C , necessitating a wool blanket! If the opportunity to stay more nights at a tented camp arises, should I take it? We will have a Pasejo 4X as our vehicle.

Also, since I am scheduling late in the game I can take only what is available. I do know to check the SanParks site a gazillion times a day for availability. Any input to what I should change about my present itinerary is appreciated.

1st day: 2R
2nd day: 2R
3rd day: KTC
4th day: MM river
5th day: MM river
6th day: NOS
7th day: depart from NOS to 2R to adjust tires, drive to Upington to return rental car, and catch 12:30 flight to JNB (impossible to do?)

All suggestions welcome!

Post subject: Re: Newbie asks: October/Nov trip--tent camp, itinerary & mo
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:41 am 

Hi Kimanjome
Excellent choice and I'M sure you will fall in love with this park as we all have.
I believe the temperatures will be from about 12 degrees to about 35 degrees and it will be a dry heat so not nearly as bad as a humid heat.

The KTC is a large spacious tent and there is a pool. I believe if you do as suggested you will be more than fine. The nights will be cooler and I do not think you need to take a blanket as Sanparks are very well equipped and have spare bedding in the cupboards. The tented campsite is very luxurious with wooden floors and glass windows.

Regarding the itinerary, I think it is a good mix of different parts of the park. One of the wilderness camps would be an experience but I doubt you will get availability.
My ideal itinerary would be 1 night at TR, 2 at KTC, 2 at Nossob and then one at Urikaruus (which is only 2 hours from TR).

Nossob to TR takes about 3.5 hours if you don't stop for game. TR to Upington is another 3 hours so with a gate opening time of 5.30 am - it is a push!

All the best on your trip.

A pic of KTC
[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/10/mejubebe.jpg[/img]

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:59 am 

Melda30 wrote:
Regarding the itinerary, I think it is a good mix of different parts of the park. One of the wilderness camps would be an experience but I doubt you will get availability.

My ideal itinerary would be 1 night at TR, 2 at KTC, 2 at Nossob and then one at Urikaruus (which is only 2 hours from TR).

Hubby wants me to keep the Mata Mata units with the a/c. What a lightweight, that he can't handle a little bit of Kalahari heat---yet HE is the one who sleeps out on his sailboat in the middle of Florida summer!

I'm going to try to knock the 2nd night of 2R and instead pick up a night at the KTC, or shuffle Mata Mata riverfront around....or book 2 nights at the KTC at the end of our stay. This constant juggling game is making my brain hurt :wall: but I know from past experience the choice of better locations is well worth the effort.

Melda30 wrote:
Nossob to TR takes about 3.5 hours if you don't stop for game. TR to Upington is another 3 hours so with a gate opening time of 5.30 am - it is a push!

All the best on your trip.

Thank you for the good wishes---I've rescheduled our flight out of Upington until 17:00, gives us time to drive in from practically anywhere in the park! And, great photo.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:11 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the Forums kimanjome! :dance:

I would also try to change the 2nd night at Twee Rivieren to one of the other camps if possible. Maybe another night at KTC?

I don't have enough experience of the Park to give you advice, because we've only been there once to see what it is like, and are looking forward to our next trip in February next year. All I can say is, we LOVED Mata Mata! In fact, we loved our short experience so much, that we have exchanged one of our two annual Kruger trips for one in Kgalagadi. It is the most fantastic place, you've got to see it for yourself! :D

There are many trip reports on Travel Tales, and I would recommend you to read them. You will get so many tips and ideas for your trip which will come in very handy! :thumbs_up:

Have a wonderful trip, and we are looking forward to your trip report once you are back home! :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:23 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hubby wants me to keep the Mata Mata units with the a/c. What a lightweight, that he can't handle a little bit of Kalahari heat---yet HE is the one who sleeps out on his sailboat in the middle of Florida summer!

I would reconsider this as these are about the hottest units I have ever stayed in. the aircon stops at night and you cannot open the windows so it becomes extremely hot.

I am against hotels in KNP

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:28 pm 

Oh yes I forgot Kesheshe - Yes the power goes off at Mata Mata at 10pm so air con won't help at night.

However Kimanjome I believe that wherever you end up staying in Kgalagadi you will love it as it is an amazing park.

Hilda we too love KTP and we thought this year we should do something different. However after spending ages looking at places we decided there was no place we would rather be. So in Dec 2014 we are going to Namaqua Park, then Richtersveld then Kgalagadi (via Luderitz if you can call that via).
Enjoy all.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:44 am 

I agree with the others, KTC is much better than Mata Mata because the windows have screens and we actually had electricity all night. It was crazy that both MM and Nossob had no screens on the windows. Maybe bring a roll of screen material with you?

We were in KTP last year same time you're going, we didn't find it unbearably hot. If you're waiting at a sighting park a bit further away if needed so you can sit in the shade. We did this for several sleeping cats and with patience saw the cats get active without us overheating.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:24 am 

Thanks for the info. I was able to snag 2 more nights at KTC, for a total of 3 nights there, 1 in Nossop, and 2 in 2R. I am hoping something (other than MM and 2R) comes up that I can swap into.

I have seen Bitterpan occasionally available, and we will have a 4X4 (though no experience driving one, I was raised to drive in snow and ice, does that count?) so I am thinking, that may be an option. I haven't seen many comments about it, though.

I am eagerly reading through these posts to learn as much as possible. Three years ago I did a one-month driving trip through Africa without hubby, it was just 4 women, and unfortunately I was the designated driver so missed out on a lot of scenery....this time I am REALLY going to enjoy myself!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:11 am 

We loved KTC in Feb - had an amazing lion experience there, hearing the roar so close to the tents at 3am. Woke us up in a hurry!
If you are able to get Bitterpan, I would not worry about not having 4x4 experience. Had never driven one before, and we made it there, no problem. Was actually a lot of fun!