Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: No Camping space available?
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:28 pm 

Thank you for the tip. We'll ask it when we are there, but it's not a problem. The very best news is that we have 2 nights in Nossob, otherwise we had to stay for 2 nights in TR.
Now we have:
17th of April: Mata Mata campsite
18th of April: Nossob chalet
19th of April: Nossob chalet
20th of April: TR campsite

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:57 pm 

It seems as if NOSSOB is a famous place to visit. Why is that? Good looking LIONS?

So, If Nossob is fully booked where else can one stay within reasonable distance? BITTERPAN?

Carlos

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Arierep, as a KTP fan, I can tell you that ALL the camps are great there.
Nossob is only a bit special because it is the only main camp on this side, so you can go from here up to Union's end.
Wonderful sightings can happen any time anywhere, even only a few hundred meters from Twee Rivieren gates (famous leopard and cub around ).

As a photographer, I sure understand you... indeed it is sometimes frustrating, but there is always a waterhole close to every camp, so you can enjoy the light there nearly up to the last minute!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:06 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Nossob is just Nossob..a place with it's own character ...like every other camp in KTP.

Bitterpan may be fairly close to Nossob but you do need a 4 x4 to get there. Also the trail can only be done in one direction...from Nossob to Bitterpan and from Bitterpan to the Auob Riverbed via Strathmore and Nu-Quap waterholes or from Bitterpan to Moravet on the dune road. From Moravet you have a choice of either going to the Auob Riverbed or to the Nossob Riverbed.
See map here
Also no camping at Bitterpan and no trailers, even 4 x 4 trailers are allowed on the route.

Oh yes good lookng lions at Nossob but then all the lions in KTP are good looking

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:12 pm 

PICASSO thanks for your encouraging post.

Good collections of great images in your website.
One of my favourites, His Majesty (Lions Park)

I'm glad someone understands what I said about having to cut short a photo session because of geting back before closing time.

I understand fully that rule, and support it without reservation - but it can be frustrating.

Thank you PICASSO - What a name?

Carlos

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You will see, when you are in the KTP, in nearly every car there is a good Nikon (or Canon) camera with the biggest and best lenses on the market!
You won't feel lonely there, as a photographer!

I remember our most valuable sighting so far: we were (nearly ) late going back to camp, when we met a wonderfull young cheetah in the dunes... sun gone... sightings always said to be unlikely in this area... I will never forget this encounter (sorry for you guys, who red this story already a few times ) !

My nickname has no link to the famous painter, as I don't have the artistic genes in me, unfortunately (thanks for the nice comment on the pics though!).

Arierep... for Pereira?

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:47 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi Arierep,

There are places within the camps that you can take stunning sunset photos. Nossob & Mata Mata have hides as well.

You might be (un)lucky enough for a lion or hyena taking a liking to part of your vehicle to get a different type of grizzly experience.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:47 am 

Picasso - you're right Pereira is my name. Shows you my lack of imagination when I was searching for an ID to enter these pages.

BUSH BATIST - are you joking about animals bitting pieces off a vehicle? Your comment is troublesome to me. The excess to pay to the hire company in Namibia is quite high. I only have enough to buy petrol.

I don't mind them close to the car - I'll invite them closer if I can), but taking pieces off my vehicle is a NO!, if that is a serious threat I must find a way to scare them? Unwashed feet for a week? Good reason, shortage of water.

I'm glad there are no bears in KTP otherwise I'd go elsewhere. If you forget and leave your car window 1mm open, those 6 inches nails of a bear will in two seconds break it to pieces. But they don't bite pieces off the car!

Carlos

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Oh yes, they can bite tyres... but you just need to move a little and slowly your car, and they will leave it. May be should you give a look at the travel takes section, where you will have many examples...
We had 2 of them playing on the hood with their paws... I was worried for the car paint and watched carefully, but they never ever used their claws, and all we had was marks on the dust, not a single tiny scratch!
What a moment it was!
Be careful, they might also open doors...

Last edited by Pikasso on Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
There are some juvenile male lions in the Kwang area (2 waterholes north of Nossob) that have been known to have a bit of fun with the occasional vehicle. I have been going to the national parks for nearly 53 years and never had any bits rearranged by animals.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:10 am 

Pikasso I'm very surprised to learn about lions ingenuity.

I had the impression from TV programes and comments from rangers that lions don't view vehicles as pray - However, the interest this lion in your picture is showing appears different.

I got insured with zero excess so I no longer mind a close encounter.

Can I use this picture in my website for 5 days only? I will give you the credit by referring to your website.

Carlos

Bush Baptist - experience is a wonderful thing, I value your input - I will try to reach the Kwang area.You never know, these two young lions may be waiting for novices to the area like me to demonstrate their vigor.

Carlos

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes, lions attitudes seem sometimes contradictory with what the specilalists say!
When they played with our car, they were clearly aware that "something" was inside. They peered through the window glass, and, when we moved our face a little closser to the glass (window closed of course) as one of them was nearly touching it, he moved back with a hiss...
No problem to use the pic if you wish....

There is a video link somewhere here on sanparks, where you see a sick leopard attacking a car, clearly attempting to go inside on the rear side to grab a baby... nothing bad happened, but it was a close call, and the leo knew... but then again, he was obviously in a bad state...

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:33 pm 

Senhor Picasso,
Thank you for your offer, I may use the picture at a later date and I will not forget to give the credit to you..

I had another look through your website and I noticed another image, with minor adjustments could provide you good sales -
M, And her Family, Kgalagady.

Good work

Carlos

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good sale of one of our pic ? I think you are over rating

You want to see real good pic, go there: Empreintes sauvages, or also on outdoophoto.co.za

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:35 pm 

Mr Picasso,

My moto is always, ' be positive'

So, I ask you please to take my comments below in that spirit because they're meant that way.

I wonder how you chose the name picasso because when it comes to your work you seem to be negative about yourself - the real Picasso wasn't!

Allow me to suggest this: 'Crop your picture, increase the contrast a bit and boost the colour.' then re-load it on this space again.

Those simple Photoshop techniques will transform your image. If you do not know what I mean - let me do it!

Your image technically isn't brilliant but it is appealing. The relationship between the lioness, the cubs and the male behind them is very good.
If the male was a bit more prominent, then you'd have a great image.

Come on Mr Picasso - have a go and surprise yourself.

Carlos (I'm waiting)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next